Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

Terpy this is one time I have to disagree.

People pay money to ride rides, so why be open if your money maker is not going to operate. I was in the back of Planet Snoopy and heard and understood clearly what the PA announcement was saying. How or why do you say that the park did not evacuate the park quick enough? Cedar Fair prides it self on safety and I feel they did a great job Friday of keeping everyone safe.

As for the Tornado warning, I have a hard time believing that there was a true threat of a tornado. Kings Island did not have the wind of a tornado, nor did I see any funnel clouds. Yes the sirens went off, but that does not always mean a true threat. They can be for precautionary reasons.

It does not matter if it looks like there will be a tornado. If a warning is issued, you must take necessary precautions to ensure the guests are safe.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Because just because you can`t see a tornado does not mean that one will not strike within the next five minutes.

On the flip side, I would imagine that KI has access to live weather radar, so they can make an informed decision. I know that Coney has a television up in admin that has a continuous feed of radar information, so they know if bad storms weather are heading towards the park. They can in turn make a decision on closing early, etc.

Maybe an appropriate question to ask at the 5@5 would be ...

"Given the severe weather that could have potentially arisen last friday when the park closed early, are there enough designated shelter areas for all park guests and staff should the weather warrant it."

I have to assume there is. Places like restrooms, walk in coolers any building with a basement or structure with a basement for that matter. I would agree with KornKid, the 5@5 would not be an appropriate medium to voice a complaint. Enough people thinking its a forum to voice complaints could spell the end of this friendly dialogue with the park.

Regarding the PA, I do know that if severe weather is in the area, guests are advised, if in line for an attraction, where the closest adverse weather shelter is located and to proceed immediately there. If you are on a midway, by some strange stroke of luck not near a ride, any associate, games, rides, merch, security, food... can all tell you where the closest shelter location to their specific work location is.

Keep in mind they will tell you to proceed to these locations only when advised by management. Im sure we all know what kind of panic can ensue should guests start shouting to proceed to xxx shelter. Undue panic can ensue, which we all know should be avoided at all costs. Additionally, the park has there own weather service in house and are well apprised of the current weather situation. Its not like they have their TV tuned to channel 12 waiting for breaking weather news. The safety of the guests has always been of utmost importance, and I think it's fair to say they have spent a healthy amount of money on equipment to monitor the weather, and time assembling their emergency preparedness manuals for any situation.

Just my two cents ;)

What a nice day to not be outside, no?

The people crying at 5@5 over the park closing early last Friday are killing me. You know they're the same people who would be first in line to scream "Why didn't they shut down the ride, since the weather was so bad?" if an accident occurred due to a ride being operated under those conditions. There's a huge difference between some rain and the torrential downpour (lightning isn't the only weather condition a ride op has to worry about, after all) we had on Friday. I wonder if they also throw fits because the park isn't open during the winter..."What do you mean, metal contracts when it's cold?"

(not super relevant anymore, but I had to get it off my chest)

I think the park gives a great warning of sever whether. one year I went to the park, road WWC, and got off and there were announcments all over saying, there is a sever storm in the vicinity(sp?) of the park, please move to a inclosed building. Thank you. Thats all it said for a good 10 minutes. Now they wern't to specific, but still the guests had a pretty good idea about where to go. The nice thing though, was the storm barely touched us, and everyone ran away while the rest of the group and I ran over to AZ to ride SOB and Invertigo and DT w/o wait. Hahaha...

Answers to your questions/comments for Sunday's 5@5 mailbag:

Derrike Marksberry - About two seasons ago, at Cedar Point, i bought a deck of "SEE THRU, coaster zone" playing cards, has Kings Island ever thought of selling a Kings Island version of the cards? Also, has Kings Island ever thought about selling poster sized park maps, like the ones sold at Cedar Point?

I have not seen the playing cards. I’ll ask our merch guy. He talks to the Cedar Point team constantly in an effort to share the best ideas. As for the map poster, I know they were working on one this off season. I put them in touch with the designer of our park maps to create a souvenir poster version.

----------------------

Luke Sharrock - when you mentioned possible park wide wifi. Could you possibly create an app like disney were it tells que line lengths? I know your mobile site has locations and how to find stuff but know what rides are to crowded would be great to know before you walk all the way over there and the line is 3 hours long.

This was one of the many cool things we discussed with a vendor just last week. WIFI opens the doors to lots of possibilities like this. It is very complicated with a park of our size and age but I think we’re on the right track.

----------------------

-David McPeak - In yesterday's 5@5 you mentioned that the splashdown on Diamondback slows it down roughly 15mph. Of course, any speed change can change the experience of the ride. So if something went wrong with the splash pool and it had to be drained, how would that change the experience of the last part of the ride? Would it still be ride-able?

The splashdown water feature does slow down the train but it is not essential for the ride to run. Fashion more than function.

----------------------

Brian Krosnick - How's the Crypt doin' this year? I gotta check up every once and a while! Lots of up time?

Just went through the latest ride capacity report for you and found that year-to-date ridership on this attraction is up 5% to last year. One of the larger increases on the list.

----------------------

Nicholas Edward Beaver - Not really a question, but more a statement. Me and some friends drove 2 hours to Kings Island after work on Friday night. We arrived and it was cloudy, we knew it was going to rain, but we figured we would get a few rides in. We got in Diamondback's queue and waited twenty minutes than as we where walking into the station, the ride closed. We waited a few hours in it's station and throughout the thunderstorm there were about three (20+ minutes) periods of no rain when the ride could of opened. We timed the lightnin/thunder and sometimes it'd go over 30 minutes without any. Diamondback could of opened many times but never did (and other rides were running). Than after a while they announced the park was closing AFTER the weather cleared up and NO storms were in the area. We checked the radar and it was completely gone. So we all went to La Rosas (outside of Kings Island) and ended up having a way better time than we would of at Kings Island, and the next day went to Holiday World where they run all of their rides in the rain. Just saying, Diamondback has a rain mode, and there were many times when it could of ran. But never did. I'm really disappointed about my experience at Kings Island this past weekend..

Nicholas. Sorry to hear about your dissapointment. Our operating procedures are designed to ensure guest safety. When weather is an issue we take extra precautions. I simply won’t apologize for that. Just because you don’t see lightning doesn’t mean there isn’t lightning in the area or the potential for it to happen any second. Many times a rainy day can be the best time to visit. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=396049641948

----------------------

Brian Krosnick - How's the Crypt doin' this year? I gotta check up every once and a while! Lots of up time?

Just went through the latest ride capacity report for you and found that year-to-date ridership on this attraction is up 5% to last year. One of the larger increases on the list.

----------------------

http://www.facebook....id=396049641948

Did it have anywhere to go but up? LOL.

A complaint is not a question. If someone has a complaint they should contact Guest Services.

I'm betting 5@5 will be gone by the end of summer because of people like "Nicholas Edward Beaver".

Nick is a member on this site. A very popular one at that. I'm glad he said something.

I know this is off topic....but what username is Nick? :P

And anyways, complaining is a question. Now saying something like, "Why did you move the flagpole? I mean come on guys, that's terrible. It sucks really bad!". Unlike saying, "I mean this in the most unharmful way, but I do not like the new flagpole in the front. Why did you change its place?"

We only received four questions for Monday's 5@5 mailbag. And, here they are:

Michael Eshom - I was a bit surprised to see both decks of the Eiffel Tower open at one point Saturday, as I haven't seen this in a long time. Is this typical of what we'll be seeing this summer? Each deck offers its own unique views, so having both open at once would be nice.

Michael, both decks of the Eiffel Tower are open when warranted on weekends and during our peak season from mid June to mid August. I agree with you about each deck offering its own view. Which deck do you prefer?

----------------------

Derek Branock - What will the schedule be for the live Entertainment shows such as Way Too Much TV this week? Will each open show be performed throughout the week or just a certain show?

Way Too Much TV can be seen this every day this week. Don't Stop the Music every day but Thursday. Charlie Brown's Hoedown is off until Saturday. The show schedule for each day is available on our website: http://www.visitking...shows/index.cfm. Do you have a favorite show, Derek?

----------------------

Stan Byme - Not counting actors,sports figures or musicians who was one of the more interesting well known/famous person who has visited the park?

There's been quite a few well known and famous people visit Kings Island over the years. One that comes to mind occurred at the end of the 1977 season when the park had a promotion called The Peanut Olympics. President Jimmy Carter's brother, Billy, was captain of one team, and Yogi Bear, captain of the other. It was a two-day event, involving such creative events as a peanut butter sandwich-building contest. Billy's team of radio disc jockeys came in first.

----------------------

Luke Sharrock - I just want to commend you guys on the webcam for Diamondback. It is really a very clever idea. I especially like how it rotates and gives views of around the ride, the ride, and you can see how big the line is. Really great job on the whole new website!

Thanks, Luke. Photo galleries for each of the rides and shows will be completed soon on the website, and then we'll begin the process of adding videos.

----------------------

http://www.facebook....id=396407151948

I am glad to see they will be opening both decks when it gets busy. That certainly helps relieve the wait time.

I'm surprised they only got four questions. I thought about asking another one to give them 5, but I figured they'd have more than enough by the time they answered them. Guess not.

I knew people on KIC were going to get angry about my post. I can't help it though, I really am very disappointed at Kings Island from my experience on Friday.

I'm not angry about it, just cautious. We already know that there have been questions which crossed the line. I just don't want a good thing to end. Personally, I believe that there is a difference between the 5@5 and contacting guest services about a problem, even if the questions are answered by some of the same people. I wouldn't think the park will tolerate anything on a public forum like 5@5 that would reflect badly on them. I admit you were generally respectful in your message, but saying "this isn't a question, it's a statement" isn't a good start.

This post is a little off topic. Anyways I want to leave my summer job at the end of this year. I would like to apply as a Ride Host/Operator. Do you have to be 16? I will be 16 by next year but I was not positive. And a lot of you work at the park so I was just wondering How old you have to be. Thanks a lot for your time. And sorry for being so off topic.

This post is a little off topic. Anyways I want to leave my summer job at the end of this year. I would like to apply as a Ride Host/Operator. Do you have to be 16? I will be 16 by next year but I was not positive. And a lot of you work at the park so I was just wondering How old you have to be. Thanks a lot for your time. And sorry for being so off topic.

From my understanding, they will not interview you until you turn 16.

Tuesdays 5@5

Questions selected and the answers for Tuesday's 5@5 mailbag:

Derek Branock – Answering your question from yesterday I do indeed have a favorite show for this season and it would definitely be as of now Way Too Much TV. My favorite of all time, The County Line, sadly had its last performances last season. I know many of the cast members personally from both shows because of last season and they are all nothing but talented. My question for today is, how has the guest feedback been for Planet Snoopy, especially to the children and their parents? Have they all been good, better than expected, or a little in-between? I personally think adding Snoopy was a great addition to an already awesome park and it seems the children are having fun

Way Too Much TV is a fun show! It brought back a lot of memories. As for Planet Snoopy, the guest feedback has been very positive, Derek. Kids of all ages have enjoyed meeting Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang. Guests have told us our kids' area is more colorful, much more vibrant than before. The live stage show in Planet Snoopy, Charlie Brown's Hoedown, has also been very well received. Some guests were skeptical of the change initially, but once they had a chance to see and experience Planet Snoopy they've found that it has exceeded their expectations.

------------------------------

Michael Eshom – Any update on the carousel organ yet?

Not yet. It has been a busy week.

Dave Wetterstroem – Have you gotten to ride Red Racer yet this season? I thought it was running smoother then Diamondback. I was very impressed with the work that was done on it.

I have not taken a ride on The Racer yet this season. A lot of work has gone into the ride over the past three years. It's hard to believe the ride is almost 40! Because of the work and care that has gone into it, the ride is getting better with age.

Cameron Saaverdra – How old do you have to be a Ride operator. I plan on leaving my summer job next summer and I was wondering How old you have to be? 16? I hope.

Cameron, you would need to be at least 16 to work as an associate in rides at the park. When you turn 16, you'll want to apply for a position in rides online through our website. Do you have a particular ride you would like to be an operator on?

Brett Fehr – What is your favorite ride in Planet Snoopy?

My favorite ride in Planet Snoopy is Race for Your Life Charlie Brown. It's such a fun ride. A great family ride. Surf Dog and Woodstock Express would round out my top three in Planet Snoopy.