Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

I'm hoping it's just that they're really busy at the moment (Starlight Spectacular, the ASA thing last weekend, Rock Band Live starting tomorrow, going "full time" next week [beginning Friday, the park will be open til 10pm or later every day until late August]), but I may email Don later to see if we can get a definite answer. Even if they chose to end it, I wouldn't expect them to just leave us hanging like this.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And few people realize all the engineering by structural engineers that go into designing the foundations for rides. It is more likely that a home in a subdivision will have more settling issues with the soil than a multi-million thrill ride.

And few people realize all the engineering by structural engineers that go into designing the foundations for rides. It is more likely that a home in a subdivision will have more settling issues with the soil than a multi-million thrill ride.

Or this:

guatemala-city-sinkhole_21110_600x450.jpg

I don't really understand what "sinking" means anyways. How does that affect the ride in anyway?

I do not understand why people would believe that. Vortex is perfectly safe (and may be torn down for other reasons, way likelier than because of sinking.)

I do not understand why people would believe that. Vortex is perfectly safe (and may be torn down for other reasons, way likelier than because of sinking.)

Well, it is mostly people who do not know the internet. All it takes is to hear one person or see one video that says that it is sinking, and you believe it. Then you tell all your friends. I thought it was sinking about 6 years ago.

It reminds me of 2012. You hear about it once - then you believe. (I for one, do not.)

Sometimes you need to research or just think positive. Right when something is suggested you should not believe it; try to stay positive, and at least look it up a little more.

They have since deleted the note asking people to submit questions for Friday the 28th... I'm going to send an email to Don asking what's up with this. I would think if they were going to stop doing it they'd at least give an explanation...

They have since deleted the note asking people to submit questions for Friday the 28th... I'm going to send an email to Don asking what's up with this. I would think if they were going to stop doing it they'd at least give an explanation...

Now it asks for questions for Thursday's....

Submit your questions for Thursday's 5@5 mailbag in the box below:

Now it asks for questions for Thursday's....

Submit your questions for Thursday's 5@5 mailbag in the box below:

That's the note from the last time they answered questions (May 27th).

Well, I guess the 5@5 will be on hiatus for a while. I think it makes sense maybe to do it from say November - June. Seems like things would be too busy during the peak season.

On a positive note, at least it was voluntarily stopped rather than someone making asinine comments (How dare you remove Son of Beast!!!! You've ruined my life!!!!1111)

Lost came on at the same time as ESPN? Did they mean Sportscenter? Because ESPN is on 24-7.

Its sad that the Carousel band organ is in storage and that the park hasn`t found the funds to fix it and get it operating again. Especially since they gave the Carousel building a lot of TLC last year with a complete paint job. While its nice that you can now actually hear the music they are playing on the carousel, it doesn`t have the same charm as the music coming from the band organ. That is one thing that I like about Stricker`s Grove`s carousel. It actually has a working band organ and it adds so much to the atmosphere. Its a real shame that Kings Island`s was taken out of commission and placed in storage.

They have the Funds... They just built Diamondback last year! Their organ is a Wurlitzer 157 with a Duplex roll frame. It plays 165 rolls. Strickers grove has a Stinson organ. Stinson is the company that used to fix Kings Island's and Cedar Point's organs.

I'm suprised these have not been posted yet

Below are the questions selected for Friday's 5@5 mailbag:

Austin Bention – what is standard procedure after a thunderstorm...like is there any particular number of test runs that must be done before it opens back up for guest...etc?

Every ride goes through a series of operational, mechanical and electrical tests before they re-open. It's the same tests we do prior to the park opening each day.

------------------------------

Kirk Emond – Based on past attendance, how busy do you think the park will be on Friday, June 4.

The date you plan to visit should be a good one. There are still some schools in session through the end of that week. Be sure to check out the Rock Band Live show that day, and our new nighttime light show, Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular.

Bruce E. Knolle Jr. – I've heard stories that the park is haunted. Not "Halloween Haunt" Haunted, but "ghost" haunted. Like specifically the Train and the Eiffel Tower. Know any true to that rumor? Or have perhaps a story? Thanks.

The stories about the park being haunted have been out there since 1972. I've been at the park all hours of the night and have never seen any ghosts. Others claim they have. But nobody has been able to produce any concrete evidence.

Brian Krosnick – Will you be watching the LOST series finale? Perhaps Kings Islands next big game-changing move could be to purchase the rights from ABC, use the technology behind Universal's Spiderman / Busch Gardens' DarKastle and create the most epic LOST ride anyone could ever imagine! Think about it! ;] And you know you can call me in for creative consultation (for ANY ride for that matter... really... anyyyyy ride)!

Brian, I have never seen the show LOST. It always came on the same time as ESPN.

Michael Eshom – What is the status of the carousel organ? I've heard that the "guts" are stored in the Flight of Fear building and that it would cost around $3000 to fix it. Is there any truth to these rumors?

Michael, thank you for your interest in the Grand Carousel. It's a classic; something I tried to ride every day when I visited the park as a guest. I don't have an update for you other than the carousel organ remains in storage. I will look into what plans, if any, there might be at this time to fix it.

They need to fix the band organ

They have the Funds... They just built Diamondback last year!

Or since they just built DB they don't have the funds. DB is going to give a big return on investment, not an organ. Unfortunately for us enthusiasts who apprecite the little details, they get passed up. I also have to think, would I rather see a few details go and see another big coaster come, or see all the theming there and them not have a budget for a new ride. Another way to put it, you have a rust spot on your car and it needs brakes. Do you spend your budget to fix the rust spot or fix the brakes which is going to give you a longer use of your car. Just a few things KI has to decide. I would rather they save up put more money in a new ride to attract new customers so they can stay in business.

Except, I wouldn`t necessarily attribute the band organ to a rust spot. (And even rust spots left untreated can cause serious issues eventually). Instead, I`d attribute it more to something like windshield wipers. You don`t realize how critical they are to the overall experience, until the wipers start to wear out. You can live with the worn out wipers for a while, but eventually it is time to replace the wipers. KI seems to think that piping in the organ music is better/more cost effective than having the band organ working. Riding the carousel without the band organ playing is just not the same experience as it used to be.

Except, I wouldn`t necessarily attribute the band organ to a rust spot. (And even rust spots left untreated can cause serious issues eventually). Instead, I`d attribute it more to something like windshield wipers. You don`t realize how critical they are to the overall experience, until the wipers start to wear out. You can live with the worn out wipers for a while, but eventually it is time to replace the wipers. KI seems to think that piping in the organ music is better/more cost effective than having the band organ working. Riding the carousel without the band organ playing is just not the same experience as it used to be.

Ok, that is a better analogy. Either way, I hope everyone gets the point I was trying to make. Did the organ music add to atmosphere to the carousel, Yes. Is not having the organ music going to effect park attendance and per caps, doubt it.

The park really should get in touch with the National Carousel Organization as well... They have a preservation fund which is used for "grants for the preservation and restoration of operating carousels and for related projects". I have no idea what needs to be done to get access to those grants, but I'm sure they'd be willing to help.

When I get a chance I'll email Don and see if they have any more info on the organ yet. I've been meaning to email him about why the 5@5 was abruptly stopped anyway...

I'd wager that the cost to repair would be miniscule in comparison to their other expenditures... and they could squeeze quite a bit of positive PR out of it as well. Bring back some of the less advantaged kids for a morning at the park for the "Grand unveiling" of the organ, hold a small media event, talk about how how committed the park is to guest experience... it seems so simple. It's just not a priority to those at the top, rightly or wrongly so.