Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

Note that most questions that are being answered are, at most, several sentences long...

Ok, thanks for the input!

Adventure Express opened with some great theming and effects, though much of which are either not working, or have been removed completely. Some of these former effects are even listed on visitkingsisland.com... My first trip to Kings Island last summer, I noticed that some of the original lighting had been restored to the final tunnel, and I must say whoever was working on Adventure Express did a great job.

Is there any chance that more of these original effects will be restored in the coming seasons?

Ok, heres an "improved" version of the original question. I'm posting it for tomorrow's questions.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks awesome! Nice job!

Though rarely mentioned as such, I'd say that particular ride, whatever name it may have, was definitely among the top three that need paint desperately, and among five or six that could really use a touch up.

Since Rotag did not post all the 5@5 today here they are.

WEDNESDAY'S THEME: PARK OPERATIONS. Questions will be answered by a respresentative from a different department each day this week, so you'll want to gear your questions towards their area.

Wednesday you'll get to know Tony Carovillano, Park Operations Manager

Department Representative: Tony Carovillano

Position: Manager, Park Operations

KI Start Date: May, 1985

Favorite Ride: Vortex

Favorite Park Food: Street Pizza

Family: Married with three kids - Alec, Josh & Katie

Q: Larken Parr - Is being in park operations hard? DO you like being a manager?

A: A fw people asked about my job so I will answer yuor question Larken as it asks two key things. First, I asolutely love my job and it only gets tough if I don't get to ride something during the season (last year it was Diamondback almost daily). I go stir crazy in the winter which is our planning phase and strategizing for the upcoming season, not to mention interviewing and processing the thousands we hire and bring back every year. Managing rides, lifeguards, admissions, guest services, park services and entertainment keeps me busy but I can't imaging having a "real" job.

---------------------------

Q: Travis Nuss - Is the Son of Beast going to be open for the 2010 season? I know you guys get lots of comments about the ride. Why haven't you guys not been saying one thing about this ride?

A: I am asked this question a ton. These types of decisions are not made overnight and as seen already in one off season. It still has not been decided and in my role I can only offer up my opinion which is one small part in a great number of discussions bigger than me. Cedar Fair will take the time it needs to make the best decision for all of our guests.

Q: Kyle Joyce - The former Wild Thornberries River Adventure, will it be with Rivertown or Planet Snoopy?

A: Wild Thornberries River Adventure will go from Nickelodeon themed to Peanuts themed and play to our world class (voted #1 for nine straight years) kids area. It will still be a great water ride to cool off on during hot summer days.

Q: Tony Douglass - Are there any hints or clues as to what the new dark ride will be (or when we'll know)? I am most anxious about that!

A: Good things are always planned here! The manufacturer is Sally Corporation and they will come in and re-theme this ride to be as exciting as it always has been. The ride has had some awesome themes. Hanna-Barbera, Smurfs, Phantom Theater, and Scobby all of which kids loved. I can't give it away yet but the ride technology will not change and guests will still shoot targets to collect the highest score. Stay tuned as we unveil this one because it will have one mroe exciting feature that themes before did not.

Q: Adam Kaplan - Will The Beast get rain mode this season? I know Diamondback has it. I do understand the rain policy on the coasters but I would think since the block system is set up don't you thknk it can get rain mode?

A: As a regular guest I see frequently, I had to answer your question Adam. To explain our rain policy on coasters, we only run one coaster train during periods of sustained rain. This gets tricky when the weather decides to start and stop throughout the day. Our maintenance staff has to respond to every coaster and either subtract or add units depending on the decisions we make based on the forecast. As far as rain mode, we were fortunate to work with B&M who manufactured Diamondback and incorporated into its safety system the ability to keep two trains running during lighter periods of rain. Each coaster's safety control system is not indentical and therefore can not be duplicated like Diamondback. Furthermore, the other coasters do not have the technology that Diamondback does and do not allow for this type of programming. Trust me we have discussed this topic plenty because we want to keep things running as much as we can. Ultimately safety trumps all and we will continue to run one train on those rainy days.

Q: Adam Kaplan - Greg, it's always great to see you around the park. My question is what has been your favorite memory at Kings Island since June of '06?

A: Adam, this may be the easiest question of the day for me to answer! Robbie Knievel jumping 24 Coke Zero buses in our parking lot on May 24th of 2008 was the beginning of our affair with special events and our attempt to put Kings Island back on the map. This was the day that I realized how awesome the Kings Island staff was and what teamwork is is all about. Everyone pitched in on this day to make it one of the most memorable days in this great park's history.

Q: Cadandra Leventry - I am a current student and want to become a general manager of an amusement park or a representative in that area, in my future. What major do you recommend me to take and are there any specific colleges you would recommend? What path did you take to get where you are today?

A: Cassandra, why would you want my job? Just kidding! I have one of the greatest jobs and one that I never dreamed of having even in college. The majority of the GM's in our industry start the same way I did, from the bottom. When I was 15 years of age I started cleaning rooms in the Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point and after two years at the hotel, I then transferred to the Games Division for another 6 years until graduating college. I actually took another position out of our industry for two years until being asked if I wanted to return to Cedar Point in a full-time position in Games. I held various positions at Cedar Point before becoming GM at Dorney Park in Allentown prior to Kings Island. Although experience in the industry is key, many of my cohorts majored in business or engineering. Good luck!!!

Q: Katie Olszewski - What is your biggest challenge running a park on a yearly basis?

A: Great question Katie! Being a seasonal operation has its advantages but leads to some of the biggest challenges. Every year when we close, many of our associates are working their last days ever for us leaving us with the challenge of recruiting and training a new work force each spring. Training sessions are already starting for the 2010 year and will continue to run throughout the season for both new and returning associates. Come April 17th, we need to ensure every guest is being treated to the highest standard and this can not be achieved overnight.

Q: Ryan Suhr - Compare your experiences of being GM of Dorney Park and at Kings Island -- one being a medium-sized park and one being one of the largest in the Midwest. Is everything from the stress to the reward put on a grander scale at a larger park or is the job - regardless of the size of the park - basically the same gig?

A: Ryan, what stress are you referring to? Oh yea, the idea that nearly 3,000,000 people come through our gates each year and my job is to ensure the safety of each and every one of them? Yes, Kigns Island is bigger than Dorney Park but the day to day job functions are very similar.

Q: Seth Campbell - As general manager what is your favorite thing to do that involves your job?

A: Ride the rides and test the food! Sorry Seth, but unfortunately most days I do neither or these. Standing at the main gate in the morning greeting the guests as they enter the park is a daily favorite but nothing can top a family stopping you on their way out of the park and commenting on how great their day was. This is what makes being a GM an awesome job!

Those questions and answers can be found here.

Adam Kaplan, are you the ice skater, "Adam Kaplan" ? just wondering.

Nice! Great homage to the legendary, blue ice cream of lore. Seriously, though, that's really my favorite wood-coaster color scheme on RCT3... as I said over on 'book, "they read my mind!" Could still be Woodstock themed... if the cars are canary yellow, or even doghouse red...cool.gif ...or a mix

Todays 5@5

Q: Travis Nuss - Will one of The Racers be backwards this year? It made the ride so much better.

A: Travis, The Racer will continue to operate this season and beyond the way the ride was originally intended as a twin-track, forward-racing roller coaster.

Q: Jerry Alston - In all the years working at Kings Island, what would be your fondest memory?

A: Robbie Knievel jumping his motorcycle over 24 Coke Zero trucks in the parking lot May 24, 2008 stands out for a lot of us as a fond or memorable event. A lot of teamwork was involved in pulling that event off.

Q: Adam Woltermann - What's Kings Island's BIG plans for its 40th anniversary in 2012? This is when I hope you come up with a new roller coaster, a few new flat rides and an expansion to the park!!!

A: Adam, you're two years ahead of us. Our entire focus right now is on the upcoming 2010 season which begins April 17. We won't begin discussing ideas for our 40th anniversary season in 2012 until the 2011 season is well underway.

Q: Tyler Nusky - Any minor changes in Boomerang Bay this year?

A: Tyler, facility improvements to the Outback Shack will be one of the most noticeable changes for our guests. We want to make it more guest friendly. We're looking to creat a better ordering experience at that location. There will also be some new menu offerings in Boomerang Bay, including pizza.

Q: Kyle Stormes - Is there any plans to make our waterpark a separate admission, like some of the other Cedar Fair parks?

A: Kyle, we will continue to offer two great parks for the price of one with Boomerang Bay included free with park admission.

Look how quickly Cedar Fair added things to Kings Island after it acquired Paramount Parks. New owners/management may have its own ideas, and will insist on implementing them.

I am firmly convinced that no matter what happens at this point, senior management in Sandusky is nearing the very end of its run.

Put another way, a 2/3 or more yes vote on 031610 means a change in senior management--or at the very least in the level of its latitude. A no vote is in many ways a rebuke of current management, and the things that happen immediately in its aftermath may be very, very interesting.

^^^Very true on how quickly they added things after the purchase from Paramount. I forgot that new rides were added a couple years later (opened a year and a half after the purchase?). All I hope is that new owners can do a good job with the parks, from customer service, to appearance, to even adding great new rides.

If there ARE new owners. There may not be...it's management I see changing with near certainty, no matter the ownership. Current management staked its all on this deal, which, ironically, if it happens is likely to limit their authority and/or tenure...and if the deal does not, has virtually shot their credibility and leaves the chain in serious issues with its creditors and bondholders, with covenants to be concerned with as soon as late this summer. How do I know this? I read the proxy, and Cedar Fair's pleading in its letters that this merger be approved...