Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree... although I do sometimes venture out of the park, I usually buy at least some kind of food item while in the park. The ice cream is good, and the pizza is great. Also, now that I know that Skyline is pretty good I might get some of that this year. I find it an inconvenience sometimes to have to leave and come back. This is partly because of having a good parking spot and having to find another when coming back.

Eating there just allows for one to remain in the atmosphere. :)

*sorry to go off topic

Q: Adam Kaplan - Greg, it's always great to see you around the park. My question is what has been your favorite memory at Kings Island since June of '06?

A: Adam, this may be the easiest question of the day for me to answer! Robbie Knievel jumping 24 Coke Zero buses in our parking lot on May 24th of 2008 was the beginning of our affair with special events and our attempt to put Kings Island back on the map. This was the day that I realized how awesome the Kings Island staff was and what teamwork is is all about. Everyone pitched in on this day to make it one of the most memorable days in this great park's history.

---------------------------

Q: Cadandra Leventry - I am a current student and want to become a general manager of an amusement park or a representative in that area, in my future. What major do you recommend me to take and are there any specific colleges you would recommend? What path did you take to get where you are today?

A: Cassandra, why would you want my job? Just kidding! I have one of the greatest jobs and one that I never dreamed of having even in college. The majority of the GM's in our industry start the same way I did, from the bottom. When I was 15 years of age I started cleaning rooms in the Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point and after two years at the hotel, I then transferred to the Games Division for another 6 years until graduating college. I actually took another position out of our industry for two years until being asked if I wanted to return to Cedar Point in a full-time position in Games. I held various positions at Cedar Point before becoming GM at Dorney Park in Allentown prior to Kings Island. Although experience in the industry is key, many of my cohorts majored in business or engineering. Good luck!!!

Q: Katie Olszewski - What is your biggest challenge running a park on a yearly basis?

A: Great question Katie! Being a seasonal operation has its advantages but leads to some of the biggest challenges. Every year when we close, many of our associates are working their last days ever for us leaving us with the challenge of recruiting and training a new work force each spring. Training sessions are already starting for the 2010 year and will continue to run throughout the season for both new and returning associates. Come April 17th, we need to ensure every guest is being treated to the highest standard and this can not be achieved overnight.

Q: Ryan Suhr - Compare your experiences of being GM of Dorney Park and at Kings Island -- one being a medium-sized park and one being one of the largest in the Midwest. Is everything from the stress to the reward put on a grander scale at a larger park or is the job - regardless of the size of the park - basically the same gig?

A: Ryan, what stress are you referring to? Oh yea, the idea that nearly 3,000,000 people come through our gates each year and my job is to ensure the safety of each and every one of them? Yes, Kigns Island is bigger than Dorney Park but the day to day job functions are very similar.

Q: Seth Campbell - As general manager what is your favorite thing to do that involves your job?

A: Ride the rides and test the food! Sorry Seth, but unfortunately most days I do neither or these. Standing at the main gate in the morning greeting the guests as they enter the park is a daily favorite but nothing can top a family stopping you on their way out of the park and commenting on how great their day was. This is what makes being a GM an awesome job!

Those questions and answers can be found here.

Adam Kaplan, are you the ice skater, "Adam Kaplan" ? just wondering.

That would be me lol.

Wow!!!!! awsome . your not skating for Kings Island this year are you? or are you gonna stay at Carowinds? Sad to see Endless Summer go BYE BYE.

Here are the questions selected and the answers for Saturday's 5@5.

Q: Brad Perdue - I would like to see camping amenities again at KI. Any thoughts/plans on the idea?

A: Brad, at least for the foreseeable future there are no plans to add a campground on the park's property. For our guests that enjoy camping there are campgrounds located near the park, including in Lebanon, which is just a few miles from the front gate.

Q: Derrike Marksberry - Will (the former) Little Bill's Giggle Coaster also be receiving a new paint job this year?

A: Yes. All the rides in the all-new Planet Snoopy will be painted. When the park opens April 17 the kids' area will have a fresh new look with a timeless classic.

Q: Kyle Joyce - Any more info on the new facade of Outer Hanks? Will it be a new restaurant? Will it go back to being a German restaurant since it is in Oktoberfest?

A: Construction is coming along at Outer Hanks. We'll post some photos this week so you can see what's been going on there. Menu items at Outer Hanks will include Fried Fish and Shrimp, BBQ Chicken and Ribs, and all the fixins. I can't decide if I like the Fried Fish or the BBQ Chicken better. How about you?

Q: Chris Hughes - When is the park looking to start testing the rides? Looks like the weather will be pretty nice from here on out.

A: Chris, the cars for the trains of some of the coasters such as Flight Deck have begun to make their way back to the rides. Testing will begin towards the end of the month on most rides. It's always an exciting time when we see the rides being tested. It means Opening Day is just around the corner!

Q: Adam Woltermann - Have you picked the new theme yet for the old Sponge Bob Theater yet? Are you finally opening both sides of the theater in 2010 and will it be snoopy related?

A: We haven't made a final decision yet, Adam. We're looking at a couple different possibilities for Action Theater, neither of which is Snoopy related. We will only have one side open during the season, as the other side was turned into the Urgent Scare attraction for Halloween Haunt.

Thanks again for the great questions, everyone. Have a great weekend!

link

they answered my question about (the former) little bill!!! :)

now if only they said what color.

they answered my question about (the former) little bill!!! :)

now if only they said what color.

If ours is Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie, I would guess possibly yellow and black.

like yellow with black running rails? that would look carpenter bee-ish to me.

Maybe white ties, yellow rails, and black supports, or some other yellow/black/white combonation. But that's assuming that it's Crabbie Cabbie, which it may or may not end up being.

Well, I go the park about 15 times a year. My family lives close enough. My parents only stay with us about 1 out of 15 times. We can't venture out of the park to get food. I can't drive yet. We could be there for 12 hours! Thats why I eat there. Tip: A burger meal is about 2.00 less at Outback in BB than at Juke Box Diner.

Q: Adam Woltermann - Have you picked the new theme yet for the old Sponge Bob Theater yet? Are you finally opening both sides of the theater in 2010 and will it be snoopy related?

A: We haven't made a final decision yet, Adam. We're looking at a couple different possibilities for Action Theater, neither of which is Snoopy related. We will only have one side open during the season, as the other side was turned into the Urgent Scare attraction for Halloween Haunt.

Notably, it seems that Action Theater will be operating... We just don't know what attraction will be inside. Very interesting, since that was something a lot of us had wondered and something that had previously been answered very cryptically ("we are still looking at a few options of what to do").

Q: Adam Kaplan - Greg, it's always great to see you around the park. My question is what has been your favorite memory at Kings Island since June of '06?

A: Adam, this may be the easiest question of the day for me to answer! Robbie Knievel jumping 24 Coke Zero buses in our parking lot on May 24th of 2008 was the beginning of our affair with special events and our attempt to put Kings Island back on the map. This was the day that I realized how awesome the Kings Island staff was and what teamwork is is all about. Everyone pitched in on this day to make it one of the most memorable days in this great park's history.

Q: Cadandra Leventry - I am a current student and want to become a general manager of an amusement park or a representative in that area, in my future. What major do you recommend me to take and are there any specific colleges you would recommend? What path did you take to get where you are today?

A: Cassandra, why would you want my job? Just kidding! I have one of the greatest jobs and one that I never dreamed of having even in college. The majority of the GM's in our industry start the same way I did, from the bottom. When I was 15 years of age I started cleaning rooms in the Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point and after two years at the hotel, I then transferred to the Games Division for another 6 years until graduating college. I actually took another position out of our industry for two years until being asked if I wanted to return to Cedar Point in a full-time position in Games. I held various positions at Cedar Point before becoming GM at Dorney Park in Allentown prior to Kings Island. Although experience in the industry is key, many of my cohorts majored in business or engineering. Good luck!!!

Q: Katie Olszewski - What is your biggest challenge running a park on a yearly basis?

A: Great question Katie! Being a seasonal operation has its advantages but leads to some of the biggest challenges. Every year when we close, many of our associates are working their last days ever for us leaving us with the challenge of recruiting and training a new work force each spring. Training sessions are already starting for the 2010 year and will continue to run throughout the season for both new and returning associates. Come April 17th, we need to ensure every guest is being treated to the highest standard and this can not be achieved overnight.

Q: Ryan Suhr - Compare your experiences of being GM of Dorney Park and at Kings Island -- one being a medium-sized park and one being one of the largest in the Midwest. Is everything from the stress to the reward put on a grander scale at a larger park or is the job - regardless of the size of the park - basically the same gig?

A: Ryan, what stress are you referring to? Oh yea, the idea that nearly 3,000,000 people come through our gates each year and my job is to ensure the safety of each and every one of them? Yes, Kigns Island is bigger than Dorney Park but the day to day job functions are very similar.

Q: Seth Campbell - As general manager what is your favorite thing to do that involves your job?

A: Ride the rides and test the food! Sorry Seth, but unfortunately most days I do neither or these. Standing at the main gate in the morning greeting the guests as they enter the park is a daily favorite but nothing can top a family stopping you on their way out of the park and commenting on how great their day was. This is what makes being a GM an awesome job!

Those questions and answers can be found here.

Adam Kaplan, are you the ice skater, "Adam Kaplan" ? just wondering.

That would be me lol.

Wow!!!!! awsome . your not skating for Kings Island this year are you? or are you gonna stay at Carowinds? Sad to see Endless Summer go BYE BYE.

... I'm pretty sure the "Adam Kaplan" on these boards, is not the ice skater you are referring to. Nor do I think he did the show "Endless Summer on Ice" at Kings Island.

Holy quote! Talk about excessive use of the quote feature! I`m not sure I`ve ever seen that many quotes inside of quotes in one post before here on KIC, and I`ve been around these boards for quite some time now!

And it is funny how some people end up having similar or identical names.

Indeed, a dear, departed friend from the Western New York Coaster Club was named Nancy Carrigan...and no, she was not that other skater, either. I also don't think she knew Adam Kaplan...

ok ok...this is the Adam i was refering too. i know Adam Didnt skate at KI he skated at Carowinds.

Below are the quesetions selected and the answers for Sunday's 5@5.

Q: Kyle Stormes - Is there any plans to make Pepsi the Official Soft Drink of Kings Island, Like several of the other Cedar Fair Parks?

A: Coke will continue to be the official soft drink of Kings Island. The product has been in the park as long as the Eiffel Tower and Racer.

Q: Toni Brown - Previously it was mention that it wasnt flight decks "turn" to get new paint. I was wondering if it was The Racers. It seemed like work was being done on it at the end of the season like scraping gum off the tunnels at te end and new paint for those. So is the rest of the track getting new paint for this season?

A: Toni, a lot of work has gone into The Racer over the past couple years, including track work on both the Red and Blue sides and painting the tunnels. But you won't see a new paint job on the track for this season.

Q: Adam Woltermann - When you decide to build a ride how do you come up with the height, length and angle down of the Roller Coaster? And also how long are the usual roller coaster trains?

A: The first thing we do when we build a new ride such as a roller coaster is determine its location. With Diamondback, we wanted a ride that was big, fast and steel. A 230-foot tall coaster fit perfectly in the location we had planned for a new coaster. The designer/manufacturer will determine the angles of the drops. The length of a roller coaster train varies on whether it is wood or steel, and the type of coaster it is. On Diamondback, the length of the train is 71' and 10-1/4".

Q: Nick Honea - Boomerang Bay really needs another expansion. The last expansion was 6 years ago. Is KI planning on adding any more water slides to the park?

A: Nick, it's on the map.

----------------------------

Q: Tony Douglass - I know this may be a dumb and repetitive question, but Is there any chance that the possibility of Phantom Theater may return in some way shape or form?

A: Tony, there are no dumb questions. Phantom Theater won't be returning to the park. There will be a new dark ride experience for our guests this season. We're excited about it.

link

maybe it's just me, but it seems whoever is answering didn't even come close to answering nick honea's question.

it was practically a yes or no question, and he didn't receive any form of a yes or no.

I'm sure it means, it's being considered and something that's within view. I doubt you'd say "it's on the map" if you meant no.

I'm sure that is what it means, but why phrase it like that? Why not just say "Yes, we are considering options for the waterpark, for future seasons."?