Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

I think another sit down restaurant would be great. I love Rivertown Junction. For just a few dollars more than any other place in the park for a sandwich and a Coke I get an all u can eat buffet. You get to cool off from the heat, and I am then close to my favorite ride after some food, Diamondback!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IR cannot operate as it does not have an elevator to accompany disabled persons. They do have an elevator to bring up supplies, but it is located in a backstage area. Also, the IR is not small at all. It actually has seating for well over 100, possibly 200. It just isn't feasible to open.

I can never see IR realistically becoming a restaurant again. Because of the view, it would be just too small, so they would need to raise prices to control the number of people who can eat there.

Or operate it as a premium dining option, with special packages for the nightly fireworks, daily parade, or other events. It could be extremely profitable.

Bruce E Knolle Jr - Just wondering; Who is answering these questions? And what title/job position are you?

A couple of different individuals in Marketing have taken this challenge – today it’s Matt Shafer, Director of Marketing. Lots of days it’s Don. Regardless of who it is your answers are coming from the department you are directing them to. This has been great learning for us. I’ve been here 10 years and I can’t answer half of the things you guys throw at us! We find this interesting and hope you do too. Please share any ideas you have to keep this fresh. Our goal is not to dance around questions. Some things we can’t answer (at the time) as I’m sure you can understand. We truly hope this becomes a useful and informative discussion.

---------------------------

Gabriel Zelazny - Out of all of the Cedar Fair parks, what (in your opinion) makes Kings Island the best out of all of them?

I could write a book on why Kings Island is great but I’ll keep it short. I would hope that every Cedar Fair park thinks they are the best park in the world. Like most of us I grew up coming here and now get to bring my family here. There is something really special about that. The Beast, blue ice cream, and for me The Antique Cars made up my magic memories. One unique thing about KI is the fact that so many in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana consider it their home park and have similar fond memories.

Bret Shroats - Will the International Restaurant open back up again at any time?

Every year we look at options for this space. The view up there is awesome and it really should be used more. I think we have an option that could come to reality maybe as soon as next year.

David McPeak - Is Diamondback the record holder for the most airtime? Also, what is Racer's airtime?

We’ve timed DB airtime around 26 seconds. Racer would come in second but with only around 10 seconds total.

Tanner Burns - If I purchased a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass through Cedar Point can I redeem it at Kings Island Pass center? and will I still receive all the pass perks at Cedar Point as well?

Yes – you can process a Platinum Pass here beginning April 1st. Just like last year though you will be assigned to the park you process at. This means you’ll get our emails, direct mail, etc. You will still get all the perks at Cedar Point though.

http://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland?v=app_2347471856&ref=ts

Bret Shroats - Will the International Restaurant open back up again at any time?

Every year we look at options for this space. The view up there is awesome and it really should be used more. I think we have an option that could come to reality maybe as soon as next year.

This sounds promising, but I hope it happens faster than the website re-do!

Thank you, Keith! Great question! As the parent of a child with a peanut allergy, this would be great. We appreciate the fact that Potato Works advertises on the building that they use peanut oil, and we know from outside the park that Chik-Fil-A does too. But having this information available on the website would help others with food allergies avoid any hazards!

Gator - you are welcome. Based upon the response, I'm hopeful that 2010 information will at least be available and accurate at Guest Relations (unlike the past couple of years when GR info was outdated/inadequate - the binder cover that said "2006 Allergy Information" didn't inspire confidence), but I'll also continue to push for information to be posted on the website as well to simplify our lives.

We get to have GatorGirl re-tested this year for the peanut allergy. When she was tested 3 years ago, they told us to have her re-tested when she's five because she may grow out of the allergy. Hopefully that's the case. We'll find out in a few months! And then along with my love of coasters, I can share my love of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with her! laugh.gif

Today's questions... Decided to ask them something different this time instead of re-posting my question from yesterday...

Brian Klein - How do you plan to make Snoopy relevant to children today? I have seen/heard many people who are worried about how well their children will like Snoopy.

Brian, I have a 5 year old boy and 2 year old girl at home and, believe me, we watch our fair share of cartoons so I can relate to this comment completely. The good news for us is Snoopy is one of the most recognized characters on the Planet. The trouble is not many people around here have gotten a chance to meet him and really get to know him. They will. I remember when SpongeBob, The Backyardigans, and others came to us. No one knew them – least of all us. Now people feel like they know them on a very personal level. We have some aggressive plans for introducing Snoopy to the area – on a personal level. Take a look at www.visitkingsisland.com/snoopyvisit when you get a minute. This is just a start.

------------------------------

Michael Eshom - If you could bring back any classic ride from KI's past, which one would it be?

The Flying Eagles and Antique Cars would be the first things I’d add. They appeal to so many and the ones we had were real treasures.

Travis Nuss - has ride testing started?

Yep. Lots of testing started last week.

Brett Fehr - Are you excited for April 17th? I am.

Honestly, many look forward to the close of a long season in hopes of catching our breath a bit. As April approaches the anxiety level kicks in. Getting the park ready is no easy chore and it amazes me how they do it. Getting people excited about visiting the park after we’ve been closed for so long is also a challenge. Like a party at your house, I worry every opening day that no one will show up. Once the park is open again we settle in and enjoy it.

Ryan Suhr - After seeing a project like Diamondback - which you saw conceptualized, constructed and named - over the course of many years, what was it like to finally get to ride it? I bet there was an incredible sense of accomplishment to finally get to take it for a spin.

Cold. Very cold. It was weird riding it that early last year. Very fun though. My favorite was a ride at 4:30am one morning with absolutely no lights on anywhere! The best part of that first ride was how it lived up to everything we had hoped. We worked so hard to build the hype. The folks that built it worked so hard to get it to that point. We are all extremely proud of this ride.

http://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland#!/note.php?note_id=378690396948

I really loved that answer to Brett Fehr's question. The sincerity and realness of that answer puts me in a good mood. I really don't know why, but it is just refreshing to see such a common man's spin, or really no spin at all.

Did anyone else particularly like that answer here? Did you think, "I bet I would feel the same way!"?

Brian Klein - How do you plan to make Snoopy relevant to children today? I have seen/heard many people who are worried about how well their children will like Snoopy.

Brian, I have a 5 year old boy and 2 year old girl at home and, believe me, we watch our fair share of cartoons so I can relate to this comment completely. The good news for us is Snoopy is one of the most recognized characters on the Planet. The trouble is not many people around here have gotten a chance to meet him and really get to know him. They will. I remember when SpongeBob, The Backyardigans, and others came to us. No one knew them – least of all us. Now people feel like they know them on a very personal level. We have some aggressive plans for introducing Snoopy to the area – on a personal level. Take a look at www.visitkingsisland.com/snoopyvisit when you get a minute. This is just a start.

Arrrgh. Why didn't I get this answer when I asked the same question?

Michael Eshom - If you could bring back any classic ride from KI's past, which one would it be?

The Flying Eagles and Antique Cars would be the first things I'd add. They appeal to so many and the ones we had were real treasures.

should read...

If you could remove any ride from KI today, which one would it be?

I would remove BLSC.

Ryan Suhr - After seeing a project like Diamondback - which you saw conceptualized, constructed and named - over the course of many years, what was it like to finally get to ride it? I bet there was an incredible sense of accomplishment to finally get to take it for a spin.

Cold. Very cold. It was weird riding it that early last year. Very fun though. My favorite was a ride at 4:30am one morning with absolutely no lights on anywhere! The best part of that first ride was how it lived up to everything we had hoped. We worked so hard to build the hype. The folks that built it worked so hard to get it to that point. We are all extremely proud of this ride.

That would be so much fun to ride at 4:30 am with no lights at all. I'm jealous. Nice question and an even better answer. Its nice to see the enthusiasm by park officials.

Hey they answered my question :) Looks like DB is keeping it's SRL.

Wednesday's 5@5 mailbag answers below.

Derek Branock - Being an employee in the Food and Beverage Department of KI I know from experience there are many challenges in operating different areas of the park everyday. My question is what is the single biggest challenge for you as a Full Time Area Manager in Public Relations and what keeps you motivated to do this job everyday during the operating season?

"Not telling" is sometimes the most fun – as was the case with the Diamondback teaser campaign – but also probably the hardest part. There are some things we just can't comment on. Some right here in your line of questions. Others we could talk about but we have reasons for saying things when we do. We love talking about the park. Not talking about the park is hard. Staying motivated and enjoying my here is not hard at all.

Tyler Nusky - Will we be able to purchase ride photos in the near future on Flight of Fear? If not, why did the ride photos for that ride leave?

They were removed because no one used it much. We are trying again this year. Cameras will be there so smile – and buy one – or else I'll blame you next time! Do me a favor, tell Ben that the WWC coin machine has been addressed too.

Dave Wetterstroem - Will Diamondback still be using the Single Rider Line this season? Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland (another Cedar Fair park) did away with their Single Rider Line in it's second season.

Yes. The single rider line will return this season. Some like it, some don't. We think it is a good thing. It decreased wait time and increased ridership.

Aaron Richmann - When is the big announcement for what to expect this season? For example: What is going to be playing in Action Theater? and What is the new dark ride experience?

See question number one. I'd say "in a matter of days" but you might not believe me. I just walked through the new dark ride. You're going to like it. You can believe that!

David McPeak - How many trash cans are placed throughout the park each season?

At last count, 802. But I could have missed one. I'll count again just to be sure. I like your other question about the name for KI. I have heard some names but I'll do some digging just to make sure and get back to you on that one. Good questions.

http://www.facebook....id=378978496948

To me, the photo isn't even necessary - if a strobe light were placed there it would be enough. I love the experience of the bright flash and then as soon as your eyes adjust, you're surrounded in supports and track on all sides... Definitely a cool experience.

Awesome questions today! I'm glad they are trying out the FoF on-ride photos again this season. I hope it's a success!

Just as long as they don't put it as the MCBR. If they do that all they will get is disappointed looking people.

I am one of the lucky one that was fortunate enough to get one of the FoF videos! I love that thing!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you look back a few days (maybe a week) you will find the REAL answer to question #4rolleyes.gif. I recall it being stated that the announcement for at least one of those attractions will be the week of march 29th.

yeah, a few days ago they said that will be the week everything is released, all at once like press releases, ride names, park map, etc...

I think it has already been mentioned, but I think it is worth repeating; you can almost feel their enthusiasm oozing through as they answer their questions. It really makes me feel great about the state of KI with such motivated individuals behind the scenes.

In another life, I will work full-time at an amusement park :)