Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

I think if you want to smoke, you should do it on your own time on your own property. Not at amusement parks. Just keep in mind they could ban it out of Kings Island at anytime. I won't be shocked when it is, and when smoking becomes socially unacceptable. Just my two cents.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IceCream329

I think if you want to smoke, you should do it on your own time on your own property. Not at amusement parks. Just keep in mind they could ban it out of Kings Island at anytime. I won't be shocked when it is, and when smoking becomes socially unacceptable. Just my two cents.

Oh the day that comes, guess how many guests KI will lose...Look at the bars today...its going way down in sales....look at the 20 mile stand at the intersection of 22/3 and Columbia, they are almost out of business because they banned smoking!! when they ban it at KI they will lose guests, and I think people should have the right to do it anywhere, just like people who like to complain about little crap have the right to complain anywhere!!!!!laugh.gif

Well smokers at Kings Island won't really affect you because A. You are outside. If you aren't standing directly next to someone smoking, then you probably aren't going to be really affected at all. The smoke will just dissipate into the air. and B. there are designated smoking areas in the park so that non-smokers don't have to be around it.

Kings Island hardly enforces the designated smoking areas now, I don't see how they would be able to ban it in the entire park.

These are just my opinions. and No, I DO NOT think that Kings Island should allow smokers to smoke anywhere in the entire park, but I also don't think that smokers shouldn't be allowed to smoke at all. I like how it is now, with designated areas.

^^

I agree with you that smoking should not have been banned in bars and pubs... People go to bars TO smoke.

Though, Kings Island is a family park, and the atmosphere effects the population. When people go to Kings Island and find a great place to spend the day with their family, they come again. Many don't...

I have never heard of anyone going to Kings Island TO smoke, so think banning smoking would only have a positive effect on Kings Island's overall attendance.

I'm not saying I support a Kings Island smoking ban... Some people really are hooked on smoking, and can't function without cigarettes.

Just my two... three... four cents.

Guest IceCream329

Well smokers at Kings Island won't really affect you because A. You are outside. If you aren't standing directly next to someone smoking, then you probably aren't going to be really affected at all. The smoke will just dissipate into the air. and B. there are designated smoking areas in the park so that non-smokers don't have to be around it.

Kings Island hardly enforces the designated smoking areas now, I don't see how they would be able to ban it in the entire park.

These are just my opinions. and No, I DO NOT think that Kings Island should allow smokers to smoke anywhere in the entire park, but I also don't think that smokers shouldn't be allowed to smoke at all. I like how it is now, with designated areas.

I agree completely

Oh the day that comes, guess how many guests KI will lose...Look at the bars today...its going way down in sales....look at the 20 mile stand at the intersection of 22/3 and Columbia, they are almost out of business because they banned smoking!! when they ban it at KI they will lose guests, and I think people should have the right to do it anywhere, just like people who like to complain about little crap have the right to complain anywhere!!!!!laugh.gif

Living fairly close to the 20 mile stand, I would know that place has been changing owners just about every 6 months. Long before this bill about public smoking was passed in Ohio. Like on said above, smoking is not a right. Just because you think it is, is not going to change the minds of the government. The fact is second-hand smoking is just as bad as smoking period. I'm shocked, but glad to hear your mother is not receiving the effects of smoking. She is a very lucky women. But the fact is, not that many people smoke anymore. Again, just my opinion.

One Opening Day celebration in Cincinnati down....one to go. Let's hope for similar weather for ours! Answers for Monday's Mailbag below...

Brad Perdue - We have seen pics of winter rehab for coaster trains. How does this work for Drop Tower and Delirium?

These two rides are like all other rides at the park. Many of the parts are removed, inspected and rebuilt during the off season. All rides go through similar mechanical, operational, electrical inspections prior to opening.

------------------------------

Brett BeFair Fehr - Why is Avatar considered a roller coaster on your website? Why does the park sell a private event the day after opening day? Don't you think it would be better to open with two days straight instead of opening for a day, then closing the doors to the public again?

This was discussed at length when we added it. While certainly not your normal roller coaster, the track, hills, and drop technically do make this a roller coaster. We didn’t make this up ourselves. Others, including the ride manufacturer, classify this a coaster.

Opening on Saturday to the public and having a private event on Sunday has worked great for us, for our large group partner and we received no complaints whatsoever. It is a complicated message but I think we’ve done a good job of communicating it.

Hadley Erin Soderquist - Is Kings Island doing the thing where you get in for $15 if you come at 5 pm o'clock this year?

The After 5pm price is $25.99 this season. We did test the $15 ticket two years ago and it did have some success but not enough to justify repeating it. This discount of $23 off the regular price is a good deal. Kroger & Meijer will also have discounted tickets in Cincinnati and Dayton again - $34.99. Our website though will have a $33.99 price so go there for the best deal.

Taylor David Reece - Will the road work that is being done on Kings Island Drive, be finished in time for opening day?

Everything I’ve heard on the construction says it will be complete around May 14. So it should be finished before we begin daily operation.

Bobby Crawford - I know that in an earlier post, you said that Kings Island is a lot luckier than many other parks in the sense that KI has only developed around half of the total land it actually owns. Do you think that the newest area of the park, X-Base, could be the site of future expansion into the many acres of land that are left, since most of the rest of the park is completely outlined by coasters, a few flats, and the waterpark? The warehouses might just need to be relocated.

The Coney Mall / X-Base area does have land available for development. I never would have considered the route they took for Diamondback so really any area is available. They totally constructed much of the area this ride sits on – from very rough and deep ravines to relatively flat usable space. Expansion opportunities don’t just mean rides. I like other parks that have built up nightlife, restaurants, and other retail spaces near their entrances.

Absolutely nothing in your post is even remotely true. Since Smoke Free Ohio passed, business has gone UP at most bars and restaurants. People claimed that the bill would hurt business because the smokers would no longer go to businesses where they can't smoke, but in reality, people that refused to go to businesses that allowed smoking are now going to the bars and restaurants, and the smokers are still going too. If there are no businesses that allow smoking in the state, then the smokers aren't just going to stay home.

The 20 Mile Stand hasn't had a steady owner in 10 years. Smoke Free Ohio had nothing to do with the failure of whichever restaurant you are referring to.

Smoking is not a right, people should not be able to do it anywhere they want. It is dangerous to those that are doing it and those who are around it. Even in an open air environment like KI, second hand smoke is still in the air and being breathed. I worked at the Log Flume and Phantom Flyers for four years. For three of those years there was a smoking area right next to PF. Even though it's in the open air, I could smell the smoke constantly. It is disgusting, and the majority of people do not smoke and should be free to breathe cleaner air. The rights of the few do not outweigh the rights of the many.

^^That is true. We should probably stop discussing smoking here and continue 5@5 discussion here. Nobody wins the "should smoking be allowed? argument, because in the end it is up to the parks what they want to do. So if you guys want to continue discussing or arguing about it, I would start a new "smoking discussion" thread if you really want to argue about it that much, for the 5@5 thread's sake! :lol:

Guest IceCream329

HA......people have the right to breathe clean air....you ain't never gonna get it, the pollution from cars, factory's, and smoke!!!! If you want clean air from smokers then well one answer....GET AWAY FROM THE SMOKERS!!!!

HA......people have the right to breathe clean air....you ain't never gonna get it, the pollution from cars, factory's, and smoke!!!! If you want clean air from smokers then well one answer....GET AWAY FROM THE SMOKERS!!!!

This issue has been debated in countless other threads. Please do a search for one of the threads and post under the appropriate topic.

Thanks,

Ryan

:D In an attempt to get back to a 5@5 thread: :D

Brad Perdue - We have seen pics of winter rehab for coaster trains. How does this work for Drop Tower and Delirium?

These two rides are like all other rides at the park. Many of the parts are removed, inspected and rebuilt during the off season. All rides go through similar mechanical, operational, electrical inspections prior to opening.

Does anyone have photos of this? I'd love to see what pieces can be taken off each season...

New questions/answers are up :)

Lillian Schwartz - Are the shows that you all do on the fest house and behind the DB going to be the same as last year are do you all have something new for us this year?

Down Home Country was in the Festhaus last year and is returning in June this year. I have more than 30 Johnny Cash cd’s and just bought tickets today to Willie Nelson at Riverbend in May so you’ll see me at this show for sure! Don’t stop the music will be back on Bandstand by the tower starting May 22nd. New this year are Charlie Brown’s Hoedown (in Planet Snoopy), Way Too Much TV (in Festhaus). Both of these open on April 17. Snoopy Rocks On Ice is a new show in the KI Theater beginning in June. Signed, Sealed and Delivered is a new show in the International Showplace starting in June. We are very excited about this lineup and proud of our show program.

Kirk Anderson - Loving the beautiful new website! I'm curious, as parks and other companies have many different budgets to draw funds from for certain projects (CapEx budgets for new rides, general funds, etc.), what budget would fund a project like this new website?

Good question. Marketing funds the website project. Our website was desperately in need of an upgrade and we are happy with the new look. Still plenty of things we want to add. This is the reason we launched it quietly today. As this daily feature proves, we are determined to do a better job in the social media world and the first place to start is with our own website.

Aaron Martin - Nice job on the new website! I partiularly like the history info given with most of the rides. I have gathered from answers to others' questions that you will be adding POV videos and addtional webcams. Any idea as to when we can expect those features to go live?

Aaron, there are several things we did not get done as fast as we’d hoped. You touched on many of them. Our new POV camera had a shipping delay but it came today so we’ll be working on NEW POV for every ride we can. We have a few more webcams coming too. For example:

Click this link below (or look in our wall photos) for a look from the new I-Street webcam coming to the site very soon. Thanks to those that gave us this idea in the discussion section. Look closely and you'll see Nikki and Don - the two people to thank for the new website design and content. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=174830&id=155893938367&saved#!/photo.php?pid=5333827&id=155893938367

William Hersman - Does Kings Island have any future plans to put the campground back, I know alot of people stayed there my family always stayed there on ours trips to KI

This is a popular question. In fact my uncle asked me the same thing at Easter dinner and told me the same story of his father-son campout tradition that he’s told me every family dinner for the past 7 years! Like him, there are many that enjoyed this every year. We have great land for this and many of our parks have added camping facilities recently so I’m optimistic that we could see this added in the near future. Don’t quote me on when. I just think it’s something we should keep pushing for.

Paul Bonifield - I love all the photos on the new and improved Kings Island website, where you the one who took the photos?

Don is the camera man and does a great job of it. This might be my favorite part of the new site. There are some great KI images there. Unique angles. Just really cool Kings Island shots. Still too many generic (could-be-any-park) images and we plan to replace them and we’re working as we speak on new wallpapers with these kinds of photos. Also working now on expanded photo galleries for all rides, shows and attractions. If you have some great pictures and would like to share them I’d happily consider adding them to the site. Offer goes for anyone!

24592_429412933367_155893938367_5342039_2018859_n.jpg

From Kings Island's Facebook, here is the new exterior to Outer Hanks... But... What's different?

PKI%20Easter%20105.jpg

Here's the old one... I don't know what's different other than they moved the "Come On In" sign... EDIT: Oh, I see: they moved the doors to the center of the building instead of the side. Not what I expecting from the "new exterior." Haha!

I'm not sure what page you mean, but are any of the water parks at the other theme parks listed? In general, the "free with park ticket" water parks don't count as Cedar Fair parks because you can't just buy a ticket to Boomerang Bay and go to Boomerang Bay. It's just like one particular area of Kings Island no different from Rivertown or Coney Mall, it just happens to be one that has water-slides.

The four Soak Cities count as "parks" because they're separately gated and require a separate ticket to enter. But in general, "free" water parks do not count: Boomerang Bay at Kings Island, Carowinds & Great America, WaterWorks at Kings Dominion, Splash Works at Canada's Wonderland, Wildwater Kingdom at Dorney Park, etc. They would be grossly overselling & misrepresenting the number of properties they own if all of those parks were counted as standalone parks.