Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, they don't interview you until you are 16.

There are people that work in the rides department right now that were interviewed and hired before they turned 16. I can think of two off the top of my head. They worked under me at the log flume last year, and still work there. I just talked to one of them to make absolutely sure, and she confirmed it.

As I mentioned earlier, your best option is to call the park regarding any questions related to employment, regardless of what's said here. Things can and do change, and there's no guarantee that the policy this year will be the same as it was last year.

Michael Eshom - Is there any chance we could get one of those "estimated wait time" signs at Vortex? It would really help on busy days since the line can sometimes extend out to Jukebox Diner.

Seems a reasonable request. I’ll forward it along to the right folks. Come to the park tomorrow – you won’t need a wait time sign!

------------------------

Stan Byme Even though I haven't got to do it yet I look forward to doing the Behind-The-Scenes train tour sometime this summer. Along those lines, I would love to walk ALL the way up the stairs to the top platform of the Eiffel Tower. I would be willing to pay for that experience. Siince that is a statement and I am supposed to be asking a question, I guess my question is: Did you know anyone would be that stupid?

I won’t judge you. I get winded walking from my office to the Tower. Walking up it might just do me in. You’re right, the train tour looks like a great experience.

------------------------

Paul Bonifield - What ride do you think is the most underrated?

For my money, Flight of Fear. A really good ride that many people don’t talk about all that much. I wrote it off years ago as too rough but the changes that were made really improved the experience in my opinion. Surf Dog might be another one. A pretty thrilling ride that goes unnoticed due to its location.

------------------------

Austin Benton why does the international cam not work...i noticed racer was back up!!!

Not sure what the issue is. I will check again. This one is getting frustrating. I chose a lower level camera than what we did with DB because it isn’t being asked to do much. Just look straight and show the image. Can’t even do that. Sounds like it’s time for a change. I’ll gladly tell you what product not to buy. Now I know. Hang with us.

------------------------

Chad Dresnick - Any chance of the splashdown at BLSC being filled with water?

Chance, sure. I really don’t know the answer but I’ll check for you. We say “I’ll check” a lot. And we do check a lot. You may not always feel the difference but keep asking and we will too.

Paul Bonifield - What ride do you think is the most underrated?

For my money, Flight of Fear. A really good ride that many people don't talk about all that much. I wrote it off years ago as too rough but the changes that were made really improved the experience in my opinion. Surf Dog might be another one. A pretty thrilling ride that goes unnoticed due to its location.

In my opinion, before Diamondback snaked its way in, Flight Deck and Flight of Fear were the two smoothest steel coasters at the park (again, in my opinion). But I think that, considering a vast majority of guests know that coaster is "the one that has the spaceship you go inside" or "the one that's completely indoors and is pitch-black" (not to mention people constantly say it goes from 0-100 mph in two seconds), FOF isn't really all that underrated.

I would say either Adventure Express or Backlot Stunt Coaster is underrated because they're considered family coasters and don't provide that much of a thrill to regular thrill seekers. On the contrary. Even though the top speed is roughly 40 mph for both attractions, they sure make you feel as if you're traveling a heck of a lot faster. Not to mention the special effects (what's left of them, anyway :P) on Backlot make it a one-of-a-kind attraction worth riding more than once.

But in terms of an overrated attraction...Great Pumpkin Coaster. C'mon people, the first drop is not THAT big. Geez.

I will agree with you on Adventure Express. The entrance is easy to pass up if you're not looking for it, and the coaster isn't one that's easily visible from most parts of the park due to its location. However, it is a surprisingly fun ride, especially from the middle seat (3-2).

Not to mention the special effects (what's left of them, anyway :P) on Backlot make it a one-of-a-kind attraction worth riding more than once.

Or three-of-a-kind... Of course, according to the general consensus, ours is in the best shape of the three, special-effects wise... If that doesn't tell you something about the other two, I don't know what would...

Brad Perdue - I heard the new "Second season of DB and become a ride warrior" commercial in Indy over the weekend. Do you have that posted on your site anywhere? If not, can you? It was one of the best commercials I have ever heard KI make and probably the best commercial I have head in years!

We were actually very happy with the way the Diamondback TV and Radio spot turned out. The TV spot is on our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...u/1/Sosse2NOD60

Driving up 71 today and I spied with my little eyes, this new billboard:

http://www.facebook....id=155893938367

-------------------

Micah Riffle - Last year, I visited Knott's Berry Farm. Is there any chance Kings Island or another Cedar Fair park would get a Mrs. Knott's chicken restaurant in the future?

That is some gooood chicken. I would love it but haven't heard it heading anywhere else. Sometimes a really great local dish doesn't fly somewhere else. I love my Skyline but it's probably not going to work everywhere.

------------------

Austin Benton - Thanks...hope you find out whats wrong...that has to be annoying..but anyway my question is...how is snoopy's starlight experience coming...is it ready to open on time..and have you had a chance to see that show yet?

The light show is coming along great. Still a lot of work to do but this is a MAJOR undertaking. I don't think many people realize all that has gone into this one. The more I see, the more I like this. I heard the different audio shows today for the first time. They are really good and will really make this an experience. It will open on time. We are inviting some local media to the park Friday night for a sneak peek. Wanna be on TV? Be in the area tomorrow night!

-------------------

Travis Nuss - is it true that The Vortex is sinking in the ground?

Who told you this? It does look smaller; next to Diamondback.

-------------------

Chad Dresnick - I just want to say what a great job I think KI is doing this year. The park looks cleaner and better maintained than ever!

Thanks Chad. I read the guest comments from the prior day every morning. They have been incredibly positive this year. The difference in our cleanliness is very noticeable. Our sweeps really do a great job and the landscaping department is awesome. The most frequent comment so far this year has been "staff friendliness". We are very proud of this and appreciate your comment.

Facebook | Kings Island

Well i also asked the park about this, and they confirmed, no. You can put in an application at 15, but they don't interview you unitl you are 16. I have an email from the park, and several refrences from some park employees that happen to be my friends.

well thats not true. i was 15 when i got hired and i had an interveiw at 15 i just had to wait till i was 16 to start work.

Friday's 5@5 got skipped...and given the paucity of questions available at the time, understandably so...Saturday's weren't done as of midnight Saturday night...

I wonder how much longer this is going to last. This has to be a lot of work for the park, and with very little short term payoff, especially during this, the busy season.

5@5 is a cool name...but I can see where not only are they too busy during the summer...but people are running out of questions. I think it would be more than enough if they answered 7 questions in one shot a week.

I hope this doesn't get discontinued completely...it has been one of the nicest things the park has done in a long time. smile.gif

This is probably just a busy weekend for them - they've got the new Starlight Spectacular, the Action Sports tour, the military promotion, etc., plus they're likely working on the final details of their summer shows.

Also, for those wondering what happened to the fireworks on Saturday, apparently they were having technical difficulties with them, at least that's what we were told by the guy selling all the flashy toys near the front of the park. The fact that they didn't play the "all rides and attractions are now closing for the night" spiel until almost 10:30 seems to confirm this. They did have fireworks on Sunday night like usual.

Friday's 5@5 got skipped...and given the paucity of questions available at the time, understandably so...Saturday's weren't done as of midnight Saturday night...

I wonder how much longer this is going to last. This has to be a lot of work for the park, and with very little short term payoff, especially during this, the busy season.

I am beginning to wonder...it's now after 5 on Wednesday...last answers were last Thursday, now nearly a week ago . . .