Special Treat from KingsIslandOnline

coaster_junky

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate enough to get to ride the Cobra once before it was demolished. I do not remember the ride very well however. The only thing I do remember is turning back after it was over and my uncle wasn't even touching the floor of the cart, his seat has locked in place at the highest point and him being a little short guy, probably about 5 foot 6 or somewhere close to that, was a hilarious sight to see.

I am lucky enough to have ridden King Cobra many times back in the late 90`s and up until its removal. I really enjoyed the ride. In fact, I enjoyed it much more than Mantis at Cedar Point.

One downside that people don`t really appreciate unless they have ridden the similar TOGO rides at Kings Dominion or Canda`s Wonderland is the slow loading process, due to the unusual restraint system. It is not as efficient of a system as what the B&M stand ups use. There is a lap bar, and the shoulder bars rotate out. There is no bar that comes down over your head like on most steel coasters.

And, after the incident at Kings Dominion, there was/is a small "seat" belt which connects between the two steel shoulder bars. Its only apparent purposes appear to be to ensure the shoulder bars close enough to restrain a rider and to require it be unfastened to exit the ride...something a rider is not to do while riding...and if s/he does, s/he has contributed to his/her own fate, and has been at best negligent, if not willfully subjecting oneself to quite possible harm.

Is it bad that I nearly cried when I watched this? I remember many summers in Jr. High of hitting up the line over and over on slow days. We must have ridden it at least 15 times in a day. Watching this video makes it seem like the ride was a lot longer than what it was. I forgot about that part after the lift where you rotated slowly around to enjoy the view and squeal at the big hill ahead, but I still remembered those three little hills at the end. Those were great times. RIP king cobra...

Sadly I never got to ride King Cobra either. I didn't get 48" until 2002. Which was when King Cobra was removed. If they would of kept it opened one more season I could of rode it though! I do remember waiting in line for it a few times, and I remember seeing it from Oktoberfest. I really wish it was still here, for some reason I could just imagine going to KI on a very busy day, and than walking into Action Zone and saying "Lets just go ride King Cobra since it's probably going to be a walkon" and just reride it a few times. The airtime looks pretty good on it, and the loop likes like it's as forceful as a Schwarzkopf. One last thing, do you think they will add any more POVs because the playlist is named "Rides that are no longer with us (POVs)" so maybe they will release more. Imagine if we got a Bat POV!