Nick Universe Remembered (photos)

I lol'd when I saw The Crypt.:lol:

I'm with ya!!! However, having an awesome coaster right above it makes the picture all the better!

I will miss Nick Universe....but I'm excited for the changes.....just looking at Nick U got bland for me....here's to hoping a great thing will happen when all will see Planet Snoopy!

I lol'd when I saw The Crypt.laugh.gif

I'm with ya!!! However, having an awesome coaster right above it makes the picture all the better!

I will miss Nick Universe....but I'm excited for the changes.....just looking at Nick U got bland for me....here's to hoping a great thing will happen when all will see Planet Snoopy!

actually i was taking the pic of the stuff in the net.....looks like a wallet, watch and so on. :P

I'm pretty sure Seuss is tied up at the moment... Not to mention it's a bit more whimsical and theme-heavy than our current owners would be likely to go.. Haha! :P

Though if your point was to say Universal should buy Kings Island? Join the club!

Back in 06 I had the pleasure to work with Creative Environs, even then with it being known that Cedar Fair just bought out the parks we joked about that in four years all our hard work will be taken out with Snoopy and the gang being the replacement. So I went along and listed the things that I installed in order that the pictures are in. Not every picture that CrashOverRided posted I worked on, the only rides that I didn't work on was Swipers, Azul, Go Diego Go and Scooby. So here I go!

The Backyardigans Swing-along: Installed the character panels around the fencing.

Atom Smashers: Installed Atom signs around fencing.

NickOround: Installed Characters around top and circles around fencing we had to stick with drawing profiles for both characters and circles for spacing.

Timmy's Airtours: I made the crown by cutting a plastic flower pot to look like a crown "clever huh :P " Also made fairy wings out of plastic sign board.

Dora and Boots: was first facing down midway but the Nick reps wanted it to look at Avatar.

Sponge Bob's House: Took six hours to install. I had to cut access panels inside tunnel to bolt it down then re-fiberglass and paint.

Phantom Flyers: Touch up work on Portal and installed Character panels around fencing.

Log Flume: Installed boards back in 03 to raise water level on splash down to create bigger splash and slow down logs before right hand turn.

Not pictured was the 8 foot tall flowers by water maze: Dug holes and installed poles. Installed bubbles and sea weed around Planktons plunge and Sponge bob statue.

Lazy Town Sportacopters: Ran Helicopters around and side tracked to help install Vinyl. I had special permission to run helicopters around and side track since I used to do maintenance on them back in 02 and 03. Plus they didn't want to pay their Maint. overtime to set there and side track cars for Vinyl ;)

Oh I also Installed Blue and Boots on the Nick cars.

The fencing was hard to drill threw since it's round stock, we had to tap it first so are bits wouldn't move around. On the NickOround on of the guys from Environs broke a bit into his arm! After returning from dropping him off at B North I finished the install.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the pics. It made me think of a great plus to the whole Planet Snoopy change (yes, besides new paint jobs and theme).

The other day, I pointed to a strip mall and said to my kids, 'Hey, see over here where the Elder Beermans and bank is? Yep, that used to be all fields. Can you believe it? You could see all the way to those trees over there. No parking lots, no nothing.'

To which my kids replied something like 'You're old, mom.' and 'Mom, that must have been a long time ago...'

Now I'm looking forward to that golden moment in April where they point at Snoopy's snowy white head and go, 'That's where Runaway Reptar used to be!'

Guess what I'll say.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I grew up with Hanna-Barbara/Nick Central, but I do remember Nickelodeon Universe (and even seeing construction pics on here) and that classic Nicklodeon logo. I do remember it being weird that some of the Hanna Barbara rides were re-themed to Nickelodoen (specificly, The Beastie). Flashing forward, I do like that Planet Snoopy has a unified theme (as in, everything is now under one theme, unlike when a ride started out as HB themed (with Nick Central already part of the park) and then became Nickelodeon themed). Hope this makes sense...

Wow, thanks to OP for the photographs and to @Hawaiian Coasters 325 for bumping this topic. Total nostalgia trip. I grew up with HB/Nick Central, but Nick Universe rolled around when I first joined this site/was much more active and was still an area when I was a manager. I remember having to try and remember all those weird names when working in the area.

"Can you meet me at Backyardigans?"

"Sure. What the hell is that?"

• Like 5