The Island Queen: A Rare Look...

IMG.jpg

I just got home from my grandfather's house, and he let me borrow a big binder, full of pictures of old Cincinnati steamers, to share with KICentral. The book has 30 or so pictures of the (different) Island Queens, but I'm only posting one, to avoid copies from being made for commercial use. For those who don't know, Coney Island built different steamers over the years that had the job of taking people between downtown Cincinnati and Coney Island.

Wow thanks for sharing!

So is this a book, or a binder full of pictures that he had taken?

Its awesome to see a picture of such a fine vessel as the Island Queen. Do you know if this was the first or second incarnation of the Island Queen? There was a time when more than half of Coney`s visitors arrived via steamboat!

Wow thanks for sharing!

So is this a book, or a binder full of pictures that he had taken?

Its awesome to see a picture of such a fine vessel as the Island Queen. Do you know if this was the first or second incarnation of the Island Queen? There was a time when more than half of Coney`s visitors arrived via steamboat!

The pictures were taken by Cincinnati historian Stephen Smalley, a dear friend of my grandfather, who passed away many years ago... In the binder there are hundreds of black and white photos of many different steamboats, including two different steamboats named the Island Queen, though I am unsure which one is the final incarnation. (I might be able to figure it out by reading the backs of the photos, but won't have time till next weekend) I even have a picture of a steamboat explosion, similar to the pictures of the Island Queen's explosion, in Cincinnati's Coney Island, by Charles Jacques, Jr, but I don't know wether this is a picture of the Island Queen, or of some other steamboat.

I also have some pictures of Coney Island's midway, tickets to Moonlight Gardens and The Island Queen, and pictures of the development of Kings Island. Anyone who wants to see some more of the pictures, I'll PM them, but I'm not posting them to the public. Apparently, they might be worth a lot someday. (or even today...)

This is a picture of the second Island Queen, the first one had decks that were more open than the second. The first one was destroyed in a fire along with the Chris Greene, the Tacoma, and the Morning or Evening (something like that) Star where the serpentine wall is now in 1921 or 1922. The second was destroyed when the boiler blew up in Pittsburgh in 1947.