Planet Snoopy Ride Names Announced!

arichmann

The thing is, there are alternatives to going with a cartoon character. Fairy tales are timeless, and they would likely not require a license, which even Snoopy does! Also, they could turn NU into a Junior Kings Island (Kids Island?) area, Reptar could be Flight Deck, Plankton could be Drop Zone, and they could add a small Eiffel Tower in one of the plaza-ish areas.

^ Well, no theme at all = KidWorkz, which is what every other Paramount Park has, as did Geauga Lake. Although I'm sure it makes no difference to kids (they'd probably rather have no character than a character they don't know), it certainly looks... cheap. To me, at least.

Kid_Works_Sign___Geauga_Lake__2007.07.28____01_df95d.jpg

In all fairness, I probably just think it looks cheap because the only one I've really bothered to explore is Geauga Lake's, which was comprised of Cedar Fair's half-hearted job of removing the Looney Tunes. Notice the giant carrots that make up the walls of the pathway? Even Bugs Bunny's House, held up by carrots, remained after the sale, generically themed to a carrot house...

picture10wb.pngpicture11xi.png

This tree was Sylvester chasing Tweety. It was generically themed after their dismissal from Aurora, and was later taken to Cedar Point where a smiley face was plastered on the tree and it was renamed "The Kite Eating Tree."

picture12io.pngpicture13u.png

Like with the Paramount Parks, they kept as much as they could, took away what they couldn't have, then didn't replace anything... Plus, the naming thing... Boomtown Water Works became Little Squirtz, etc.

I would be apt to believe that the other KidWorkz at the former Paramount Parks were created with much more personality and attention to detail. Geauga Lake's KidWorkz is to Looney Tunes Boom Town as The Crypt is to Tomb Raider: The Ride - pretty much a last-minute "get rid of anything we can't have and make it as generic as possible" sort of transformation.

I was just thinking, I would like to see a large family-friendly park themed to Aesop's Fables.

I think that would be pretty cool.

Wow... and people think Snoopy is old and outdated...laugh.gif

Well that looks a lot better than Planet Snoopy in my opinion......

I'm sorry, you've seen the finished Planet Snoopy how, exactly? Let's see the finished product before we judge it...

Edit: Just saw your response to the post above... hmmm, okay... the Facebook pictures are not the finished product, so let's wait until April 17th to say PS looks worse than something else, okay?

Edit: Just saw your response to the post above... hmmm, okay... the Facebook pictures are not the finished product, so let's wait until April 17th to say PS looks worse than something else, okay?

im adding this and then moving on; its like seeing a few photos of a house and saying you dont like it.

I have seen it, from the Facebook pictures.......although I did say the same thing about Planet Snoopy about 4 months ago......

I love when people say that seeing pictures can give a good enough description of what something looks like and form a legitimate opinion.

"I don't need to go to the Grand Canyon, I've seen the pictures."

"I don't need to ride that coaster, I've seen the POV."

I think you people need to see this.

These pictures of Planet Snoopy at California's Great America pictures, 66-75. Almost done and it looks great to be honost.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&story_fbid=1233752006071&id=1297305735#!/photo.php?pid=3721516&id=28442453154

It does look great, I figured we'd see those large-format graphics like they have at CP's Planet Snoopy. I'll reserve final judgement until we see KI's finished product, but I do have high hopes for the makeover.

Here are just a few images from other parks Planet Snoopys, released via their respective Facebook pages. I think these are very nice and would convince even the skeptics (myself included!) that while the source material may be old, the physical kids area looks brand new!

CAROWINDS

23474_373573333598_91085023598_3711557_1328153_n.jpg

From Carowinds... I would guess that these "old-timey" Peanuts billboards are scattered throughout the car ride.

23474_373573313598_91085023598_3711556_3493057_n.jpg

We are most likely receiving this exact ride in place of Blue's Skidoo.

GREAT AMERICA

23779_371573913154_28442453154_3702144_5407027_n.jpg

Yes, it does appear we'll be getting the much-maligned "creepy" costumes like Cedar Point has.

24519_366269768154_28442453154_3689228_5529263_n.jpg

Great America didn't get a "Boo Blasters on Boo Hill," but rather a "Kidzville River Adventure."

23779_372429863154_28442453154_3721516_519288_n.jpg

As was already posted, this ride looks great! Didn't it used to be Wild Thornberry coconuts? Nice transition!

23779_372429883154_28442453154_3721519_925255_n.jpg

This will likely be outside the "Peanuts Pirates" boat ride. Very cool to know they're investing in such large (and likely expensive) figures. Note that this is not simply a de-branding and removal of all things Nick - something I'm pleased to see.

23779_372431288154_28442453154_3721542_548503_n.jpg

Inside the restaurant.

23779_372431298154_28442453154_3721544_371439_n.jpg

A lot of thought went into the painting of this building!

23779_372431308154_28442453154_3721545_8087616_n.jpg

Again, lots of bright colors, and lots of characters. I'm glad!

CANADA'S WONDERLAND

24108_368119248923_95469803923_3692802_7453838_n.jpg

The new "Lucy's Tugboat."

Why the heck don't they just get people to dress up as the characters?

These are PEOPLE in PEOPLE COSTUMES, which is why I think it's so creepy. Surely they could find an army of short teenagers willing to hone their acting skills. I always thought the same of Lilo at Disney World...just get a cute little girl to come in and pay her on the same hourly system they use for child actors (except less pay!). It's more expensive and they have to switch the kids out a lot, but darn, it would be much better than a PEOPLE COSTUME.

Then again, I'm sure they thought of this alternative and for some good reason decided on Lucy ala Silence of the Lambs.

For parks like Disney, at least, teaching a young child a script of pre-approved statements and questions takes a lot more work than buying a silent character costume. Besides, I think cartoons don't translate well into "real life." Take a look at the new Avatar: The Last Airbender movie. The kid playing Aang may be dead-on the most perfect person in the world to play the character but it's like... Avatar is a cartoon... Not a person. So no person will ever look right to me until I've seen the movie and added that actor to my mental list of who Aang is.

Avatar-The%20Last%20Airbender%20nintendo-wii02.jpg

last-airbender-movie.jpg

^ If that kid was walking around Kings Island, I certainly wouldn't equate him with being Aang. Would you?

True, live action can never be a cartoon, but I still think real people will look more like the characters than any freaky skin suit does. Even if they had a pre-teen playing Lilo or Aang, it wouldn't be hard to have a coach with them the whole time. Kids who stage act can consistently say lines. I guess it's just a matter of getting the right kids and a solid, supportive team to work with them. Yep, more $$$ than a weirdo suit, but I think they'd have a better draw of families based on character greetings and character meals.

Disney World bases so much of it's revenue and advertising on meeting the characters, that it seems like a really neglected market where KI is concerned. Of course, KI jsut switched to a set of characters no one cares about, so it probably doesn't matter anyways. No kid is in bed at night dreaming of the day they'll meet Lucy of the Peanuts gang...

Also, I think if the Aang kid in the Avatar movie were out of the movie context and greeting around the park, they would have him in more vibrant colors and the cape thing, sticking more strictly to the original character design. In the context of the movie, it's obvious who he is, and within the realistic styling of the movie, there is no need to adhere to cartoon-like coloring, therefore the costumes/makeup are considerably more subdued. ;)

Disney World bases so much of it's revenue and advertising on meeting the characters, that it seems like a really neglected market where KI is concerned. Of course, KI jsut switched to a set of characters no one cares about, so it probably doesn't matter anyways. No kid is in bed at night dreaming of the day they'll meet Lucy of the Peanuts gang...

I think that is true for most parks not affiliated with Disney characters. Most Disney characters are loveable. I never got that with Rugrats or any of the Nickelodeon characters.

Hanna-Barbera characters are good, but they are not exactly current, either.

At least the Peanuts specials are shown throughout the year. Most kids will know them and I think the kids area will be just fine. And it doesn't hurt that their parents (and / or grandparents) grew up with Peanuts. I think you may be surprised at how much that will matter.

Maybe after kids get to know Snoopy in the park, they will ask their parents to get some of the Peanuts movies/specials, and if these are sold in the park, then i'm sure the park would make some money off of it! Since the parents also grew up with Snoopy, I'm sure they wouldn't mind buying a Peanuts movie for their kids, while they're in the park.

Of course, KI jsut switched to a set of characters no one cares about, so it probably doesn't matter anyways. No kid is in bed at night dreaming of the day they'll meet Lucy of the Peanuts gang...

I just wanted to thank you for yet another post that overgeneralizes the "unpopularity" of Peanuts.dry.gif Just because YOU don't care about them doesn't mean that there aren't people that do. I have a 5 year old daughter who is COMPLETELY PSYCHED to finally meet Snoopy and the gang. We watch every Peanuts special every time they're on, and we have for years, for as long as GatorGirl has been watching television (and Mrs. Gator and I watched them every year we've been married before GatorGirl was born). She loves the specials. One of the first stuffed animals I bought for her was a Snoopy doll wearing bunny slippers, which I bought at Cedar Point while my wife was pregnant. She still sleeps with that thing at night.

In fact, just last night out of the blue GatorGirl asked, "When is the Charlie Brown St. Patrick's Day show going to be on?" I told her there wasn't one, but told her that the Charlie Brown Easter special is on next Wednesday. She said "Yay!" When I tell her how long it is before KI opens, she says "But that's too long!" She's even still holding out hope that SD&THC will become "Charlie Brown's Funhouse", the name she thought up on her own for the re-theme, even though I told her it's not going to be a Charlie Brown ride.

So there IS a girl out there anticipating meeting Lucy. I'm completely FED UP with people saying that NOBODY knows or cares about Peanuts... THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO DO!!!! We might be in the minority, but there's NO WAY TO KNOW THAT FOR ABSOLUTE CERTAIN without polling EVERY VISITOR TO THE PARK... or everyone who even THINKS about going to the park. Are the Nick characters more popular? Yeah, probably. Will there be people who miss them? Absolutely, yes. I'm very sore about losing Scooby, myself. But don't lump EVERYONE into a group of Peanut haters, or at least Peanut apathists.mad.gif

^Every man has his breaking point...and I think we found Gator's! laugh.gif

I hope I have not offended you TOO much with my constant Peanuts' bashing.

If you prefer, in the future I can add "WARNING: Peanuts Bashing Alert" to the beginning of some of my posts if it saves you any future heartache!

When I was a kid the last reason I went to an amusement park was to meet characters, I wasn't so stupid to not know that it was just an average Joe dressed up in a Halloween costume, never paid attention to any of that stuff, it was all about rides, food and games. But hey I guess that was just me.