Getting Kids Excited for Planet Snoopy... Ideas?

alluna

Hey gang. Okay, so some of us have properly brainwashed our children with the classics. When I found out my kids didn't know who Popeye and Gilligan were, I was horrified. Thanks, Netflix. We have now moved on to become Beverly Hillbillies and I Love Lucy literati around here.

But some parents haven't had the chance to introduce oldies-but-goodies like the PEANUTS gang to their little ones. Competing with the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon can be tough.

For kids coming off of a Nick U high last year, what are some good ways to get them pumped for Snoopy? My predictions are that this year will be the toughest sell for kids on Planet Snoopy. Next year I don't think they'll care as much... kids adapt pretty well. But for parents, I'd like to post a few ideas in an article to help them celebrate the new area instead of lamenting Spongebob's quiet exit.

So far my ideas are watching a few of the videos, but I know there is more to Peanuts than a few holiday specials. Any suggestions?

Honestly, I don`t think it will be that big of a deal. Yes, there is not as much magic associated with seeing a Snoopy character as compared to seeing a Spongebob character, or Dora the Explorer in person. There is not the cross connection of kids seeing a character on the television day in and day out, and then seeing it in person at Kings Island. But one needs to look no farther than Coney Island to realize that children`s areas need not be themed to pop culture to be successful.

Before Taft bought out Coney Island in the spring of 1969, the children`s area was dubbed the Land of Oz. There was no cable television network to theme the rides to. Was it popular? Of course. Are the unthemed kiddy rides at Coney today popular? Absolutely. While there may not be some of the magic that was associated with the Nick characters, kids will undoubtedly continue to make lasting memories in Planet Snoopy. And parents will enjoy seeing their kids having the time of their life on the rides in kiddyland just as much as they did last year, and even before Nickelodeon took up residence in the park.

Remember, I come from a generation that when I was riding the kiddy rides in the park, it was years before Nickelodeon even came into the park. I actually still remember the promotion in the park that was touting the addition of Nickelodeon Splat City in 1995. And that was when I was 9 years old! I still have fond memories of riding many of the rides including the bumper cars, and the kiddy whip.

Honestly, I don`t think it will be that big of a deal. Yes, there is not as much magic associated with seeing a Snoopy character as compared to seeing a Spongebob character, or Dora the Explorer in person. There is not the cross connection of kids seeing a character on the television day in and day out, and then seeing it in person at Kings Island. But one needs to look no farther than Coney Island to realize that children`s areas need not be themed to pop culture to be successful.

I totally understand this line of thinking, and I believe that after the initial disappointment, kids may not care much in the years to come (who knows, mine are still complaining about the switch from the Paramount theme). Maybe the toddlers and some preschoolers won't care, but the older school-aged kids will. It would be nice to offer parents a few tools to help make the transition a little easier.

I think it's a solid concern for many anxious parents who are anticipating a scene where they walk into the park and cringe for the inevitable reaction that could range anywhere from slightly disappointed to absolutely horrified.

Exactly! And when I was a kid, I only went to Kings Island, once or twice a season. So I was always excited the night before I got to visit the park. And I really didn`t care what characters were in the park. I enjoyed going because of the rides.

And believe it or not, kids enjoy Coney`s rides just as much. Often times when it gets close to time for them to leave, one can hear them begging their parents for just one more ride before the car ride home.

Like I said above, not having the Nick characters results in some lost "magic" at the park for the kids that are a little older. But as others have said, they will still be happy to visit the park and ride the rides, regardless of what characters are plastered around the kiddy area.

That's why I created this topic that advised when the Peanuts Holiday specials would be on.

As a parent, I completely agree with CoastersRZ, Browntggrr and Indyguy. Like I said here, we've been to parks with and without characters, from WDW to KI to Coney, and it never really mattered if they were there or not to GatorGirl. Sure it's nice, but kids will enjoy the rides, and kids will hug any character whether it be Dora, Snoopy or a giant piece of candy (Hersheypark). I think it's more of an issue for the parents than it is the kids. Kids are adaptable, whereas parents aren't always so.

That's why I created this topic that advised when the Peanuts Holiday specials would be on.

As a parent, I completely agree with CoastersRZ, Browntggrr and Indyguy. Like I said here, we've been to parks with and without characters, from WDW to KI to Coney, and it never really mattered if they were there or not to GatorGirl. Sure it's nice, but kids will enjoy the rides, and kids will hug any character whether it be Dora, Snoopy or a giant piece of candy (Hersheypark). I think it's more of an issue for the parents than it is the kids. Kids are adaptable, whereas parents aren't always so.

GatorHead, Thanks for the link to the other post! :D

I really opened this thread to brainstorm creative ways for parents to acclimate the kids to Snoopy. I'm not looking to debate the degree to which kids will miss the characters.

CoasterRZ, if you're talking about some lost 'magic', then that is what I'm referring to here. The deal is that kids have come to KI expecting the Nick characters, while at another park such as Coney Island, they have not grown up with Nick characters there, and don't expect them. They are fully capable of enjoying an unthemed park, I don't deny that at all.

Children who are 5-9 years old, for example, who would clearly remember the NU, are who I'm talking about here. It's not that kids don't appreciate a park that isn't themed at all, it's a matter of helping them to appreciate one that is going to be different from what they've come to expect. I was just looking for some clever ways that parents might use to emphasize Snoopy.

Thanks, though.

Well, Here are my 2 cents...

My oldest daughter thinks the idea of a Planet Snoopy is stupid she just wants scooby-doo and spongebob back!(As most middle school students would! She's been b*tching about it!) My nephew is really upset! Over the loss of Scooby-Doo! now, when I told him about snoopy he looked at me and said this ''But that's not popular anymore'' My niece is happy she likes snoopy and woodstock but they do not hold her attention for very long sure she knows of snoopy and woodstock but honestly she would rather watch the smurfs also,I think I did to well of a job brainwashing her to like scooby-doo! It's all she wants to watch! lol!

^ Yeah I was joking! I was hoping you all would get that joke! Yeah, all I have to say around my house is ''Scooby-Doo is on'' and they come running! same with the smurfs and Spongebob.As for Peanuts they will watch at least 10-15mins of any peanuts special then they are in the back bedroom playing wii.

^ Yeah I was joking! I was hoping you all would get that joke! Yeah, all I have to say around my house is ''Scooby-Doo is on'' and they come running! same with the smurfs and Spongebob.As for Peanuts they will watch at least 10-15mins of any peanuts special then they are in the back bedroom playing wii.

Sad..but true. I like what one poster put in another thread (i can't remember who it was...) about taking the kids to peek at the blue paint on The Beastie and show them the Kings Island website with all the new names, brainstorming what all the rides will look like.

http://www.bizjourna...ner_or_not.html

"We have just kicked off this past week a Snoopy initiative," said Scheid. "We are taking Snoopy out to schools, churches, the public. We want to make sure everyone in Greater Cincinnati understands who Snoopy is."

Ah yes...if I close my eyes I can just visualize what that MIGHT look like...

snoopy1a.jpg

(And just so there is no doubt, yes, the photo has been "photoshopped".)

I found a bunch of other Peanuts' titles at this site:

CD Universe Peanuts Titles

My wife and I watched one about a kid who hustles the gang with marbles, until Snoopy ("Joe Cool") turns the tables on the antagonist. Classic Peanuts style. I can't remember the title, but it had the same feel as "Valentine" and "Pumpkin" specials. Good hunting!