OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

People were saying people have died on Diamondback as early as last summer. Has Diamondback had ONE accident yet?

That is so stupid no one has ever died on Diamondback. Diamondback has never had any accidents at all.

I knew it wasn't true. It was posted in the "Guests Say the Darnedest Things" thread.

Exactly. So it's hardly anyone's place to say "Son of Beast is a failure, and everyone hates it." Because many people like, and even love it. Is it because of a higher pain tolerance? Perhaps for some. And also consider... As a whole, if any group were to complain more than another, would it be the enthusiasts, or the everyday park goers? No offense, but some of the enthusiasts here just walk around with a scowl on their face - reminds me of Dracula, always walking around, wringing their hands, looking for something to be unpleasant...

Many new age park-goers don't know the difference between The Beast and Son of Beast, and you can't even deny that. All of us have seen many a family point at the Son of Beast and go "Look how big The Beast is!" and vice versa). So consider, do they really know one as being "unbelievably painful, the worst thing in the world, the biggest failure that's ever happened, absolutely an abomination" and the other as a "fantastic, classic, record-breaking ride that enlightens all those who grace its tracks"? Probably not..

They're both the "big wooden coasters", and if you asked, 70% of those who ride both probably wouldn't be able to tell you if there was a difference between The Beast's final helix and Son of Beast's rosebowl (if they even recalled them being two seperate rides). To the casual rider, they probably notice no difference, except the lack-of-tunnel.

I honestly think you're underestimating people's intelligence. I can tell you with 100% confidence that I have never heard someone call the Son of Beast 'The Beast', and especially never the other way around.

People are not that dumb, especially if you factor in that they both garner a lot of media attention (I would say The Beast is famous whereas the Son of Beast is more infamous).

While you cannot say that everyone hates Son of Beast, although I do believe there is a pretty solid argument that it has been a failure. It is absolutely ridiculous to assume that most of the public do not even know the difference, especially with all the negative media attention Son of Beast has had.

Actually, as an employee and a guest I have heard people confuse SOB and Beast a lot

In my opinion Son of Beast is not a engineering marvel but some structures do fail like you posted. A good exmaple of wooden coaster that is a "engineering marvel" is Fireball at happy valley. It's not huge and it's not small. That ride was desinged and engineered to withstand powerful earthquakes. If you look at the contruction photos of the footers and structure you will see what I mean.

Terminator Salvation at SFMM is also built to withstand earthquakes but I wouldn't consider it an engineering marvel. SOB took existing technology to a new level much the same way KK and TTD were when they opened which IMO they are.

You wouldn't consider Terminator Salvation and Fireball a engineering "marvel"? I sure would. I don't know of any other wooden coasters that can withstand strong earthquakes. The last wooden coaster I would ride after a earthquake would be Son of Beast. It is true that Son of Beast, Top thrill dragster, and Kingda ka set a new level but I wouldn't put them on my reliable list either.

GhostRider was built to withstand earthquakes.

I was going to say the same exact thing.

Do you really think that an everyday family in Georgia, even one who regularly visits Six Flags Over Georgia, has heard of Kings Island? Even families who frequent Hersheypark (only one state away) certainly aren't familiar with Kings Island. As fans of the park, we'd like to think otherwise, but that's just not the case. Kings Island doesn't broadcast commercials in Pennsylvania. They don't put up billboards there. There's no reason - that's not their market. I personally live an hour outside Cleveland, four hours from Kings Island. My area was mainly served by Six Flags & SeaWorld (later, Geauga Lake). Many of my friends had never heard of Kings Island before I introduced them, and those who had had only heard "It's a kiddie park." I kid you not. So as much as we'd like to believe that Kings Island is well-known. It's just not. Not to everyday, regular families who don't have an enthusiast parent / child / friend.

As for your other point, neither Son of Beast, The Beast, Diamondback, or Flight of Fear is aimed at "families of four." Nothing they could do to Son of Beast would make it accessible to two parents and their children under 12. It just wouldn't. That is precisely the reason that the park is "Ride on!" and "The fun and only." Because they're marketing to far different groups with far different agendas. Son of Beast is not closed because "they care about the families of 4 not riding it."

And lastly, the notion that "one less ride that they want to ride is one less reason to return to the park in the future" has little to nothing to do with Son of Beast.

No one will boycott Kings Island for having a ride that they're not particularly interested in riding. If they don't want to ride it, they won't. They won't say "My 8 and 10 year old daughters have no interest in riding that huge wooden roller coaster. But since it's not open (and even if it was I bet it would be an abomination and I bet its the lowest rated roller coaster according to a poll of enthusiasts), I am not coming back!" There are, however, people who are upset that it's closed. No one would be upset if it was open - they'd just not ride it if they're not interested.

I wore a Kings Island shirt to three different parks last summer. SFoG, SeaWorld, and Universal. You really wouldn't believe how many ppl from all three parks asked me where and what it was. Also on to The Beast I know lots of enthusiasts especially my friends from coastersims who think it is just as bad if not worse than SoB. So I think you're making a very good point.

If this has been stated then please forgive me, but with work sometimes don't get to read everything posted on here. Yesterday when I was at the park, and got on Drop Tower, as I started up I noticed that they had taken all the railing down in the station for the lines (ques). Is that a good indication that it won't be redone and that we are heading for it to be dismantled. Like I said if this has already been said, overlook me.

Also on to The Beast I know lots of enthusiasts especially my friends from coastersims who think it is just as bad if not worse than SoB. So I think you're making a very good point.

I am one who has gotten beat more in any ride on The Beast than SoB

They are both rough. Son of Beast really hurts my tailbone and back except when I ride in the front seat. The Beast when I ride in certain seats hurts my ribs and my sides but I still really love it.

The front seat of the blue train provided a great ride. Sadly, that's a very small fraction of the seating capacity. Other seats weren't rough enough to injure me, but pretty rough. I think a notice should be posted or something when it re-opens.

Also on to The Beast I know lots of enthusiasts especially my friends from coastersims who think it is just as bad if not worse than SoB. So I think you're making a very good point.

I am one who has gotten beat more in any ride on The Beast than SoB

Wow...I don't consider Son of Beast and Beast even close to being in the same realm of roughness, and I don't see how anyone could. Beast and Racer were extremely smooth (as wooden coasters are concerned) to me last season. Son of Beast just had a harsh, heavy jolting that was uncomfortable for a 20s male...and I imagine much worse for older men and women in less than fit condition.

However, here is something to think about... Has anyone ridden the Coney Island Cyclone roller coaster in New York? That was so rough and jolting that I was in disbelief that they were operating it. Maybe I rode it before a retracking or when the wheels had worn horribly, but man! It was the one time in my life I actually had fear that I might be harmed by a roller coaster. It made Son of Beast feel tame, and no one is complaining that the Cyclone should be torn down and is a safety risk?

And how many MILLIONS less has Coney Island spent continuously repairing/re-engineering the structure and the image/reputation, of the Cyclone... an International Icon that has been in existence for many decades longer? I am willing to bet thats for a good reason... like decades worth of highly satisfied patrons who faithfully come to ride it each and every year... and far fewer, if any, successful attempts at civil litigation.

Sparky... who no longer posts, but could not let a comparison of that nature pass

If this has been stated then please forgive me, but with work sometimes don't get to read everything posted on here. Yesterday when I was at the park, and got on Drop Tower, as I started up I noticed that they had taken all the railing down in the station for the lines (ques). Is that a good indication that it won't be redone and that we are heading for it to be dismantled. Like I said if this has already been said, overlook me.

i know i'm very optimistic about the ride, but could this just mean nothing more than new trains? :huh:

A question for those who are far more knowledgable than myself (most of the people here): Is Son of Beast the only wooden roller coaster on Earth with such wide track? I know its exceptionally wide, and that the Gerstlauer trains had to be re-crafted to fit(?). If so... why? What benefit does it provide to have wider track?

A question for those who are far more knowledgable than myself (most of the people here): Is Son of Beast the only wooden roller coaster on Earth with such wide track? I know its exceptionally wide, and that the Gerstlauer trains had to be re-crafted to fit(?). If so... why? What benefit does it provide to have wider track?

My guess would be because of the loop when the ride was orginally desinged.

I believe it was to accommodate its original trains, which were made by Premier, and were essentially steel coaster trains(basically the same as the Flight of Fear trains), which were wider than most wooden coaster trains. Or at least that is what I have always heard as the reason, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I do not know however if it is the only wooden coaster with such a wide track, I would assume that if it's not that is among a very small minority though.

Hope that I'm right/this helps ;)