OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

Before Maverick was announced, it was announced on ScreamScape that the ride would be an Aquatrax. Then, when it was quite apparent it was not an Aquatrax, that post disappeared.

Actually Maverick was supposed to be an AquaTrax at one point in time.

Yes.

That is exactly what I said.

Maverick was never going to be an aquatrax.

Just for fun, I have sent ScreamScape several ridiculous rumors via email. 100% of them were all posted on the site within 48 hours as coming from an "anonymous source".

It's ridiculous.

Fish in a barrel.

On the topic of Screamscape, yes he posts most rumors. And still, it's one of the first websites I go to each morning. It's not always accurate, but it's fun! It's fun to read all of the rumors. If you don't take it very seriously, you'll enjoy it and perhaps learn something.

Rule of Screamscape. Take the rumor and put a [citation needed] tag next to it. Don't consider it true without a source.

My prediction is that they will announce that they will likely make the fixes to the ride, and then they will announce the following one or two days that it will be torn down.

Why? Here's two glimmers of hope made of fool's gold:

1. The inspections were done and SoB was cleared as safe. Firehawk had a guy die after riding it, and it reopened the next day! So it only made sense to reopen SoB because both cases had the ride operating properly and the victims both had preexisting conditions (in SoB's case, the woman had a hemorrhagic stroke). Besides, the woman reported it 16 days after it happened! Anyway, it was the day after Firehawk reopened that the SOB remaining closed for 2009 announcement came.

2. A chance of SoB reopening in 2010. Talk was of a mid-August reopening, better than nothing. The next day, they confirmed it would not open whatsoever in 2010. THE VERY NEXT DAY! To add emphasis, they took it off the map. KI just became smaller.

-------------------------------------------------------

What a way to celebrate Son of Beast's 10th anniversary!:angry: And all because SoB did...no wait, it did nothing wrong! It was operating normally and got a worse punishment than when it was responsible for injuries! And we are talking the neutered SoB here!

Also, is making SoB hybrid possible? Won't it add the same kind of weight that caused the injuries when SoB had the loop? The ride was poorly designed and built with inferior wood, and the company (RCCA) not only went under, it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page!

There is no reason SoB should have ever closed. We shouldn't even be discussing its fate.

-------------------------------------------------------

Nevertheless, I see no hope for SoB. I will have looked twice, maybe thrice on the world's tallest and fasted wooden coaster only to never have a chance to ride it. I can never be a true Ride Warrior. And there's no way another woodie will reach its heights. Not a true woodie, anyway.

I can also see Delirium being closed early this year, covered in a protective barrier, and swung with that. The pendulum will be rigged to disconnect from the base at the right time, slamming right into a good chunk of SoB. A Giant Huss Wrecking Ball! (j/k)

Terpy, I thinkt he fallacy you were refering to is the Hindsight Bias, which means after finding something out, people assume that they knew it the whole time...except, we don't know the real reason why SOB is shut down, we just assume the injury of the woman. So I guess this is a reversed Hindsight Bias? lol

Cobra, whom confused himself...a little.

No, I am not talking about hindsight bias...that would be more about Screamscape than Son of Beast itself...Lance convinces himself he predicted the future and edits the past to so fit...

Also, don't assume "we" don't know why Son of Beast is closed. That may be true of most, but it is not true of all.

In all seriousness...

SoB is closed due to the numerous injury complaints, and amount of money spent w/o ride improvement.

To believe that SoB has been shut down due to one issue is just ignorance of reality.

Yes, I know of its reputation, its past, and its roughness. I even looked at a

of SoB without the loop and compared it to
. I can't really prove SoB to be the rougher of the two. Shouldn't Mean Streak be getting the injury complaints SoB has been getting? Shouldn't Mean Streak be shut down too, given that we're "not satisfied with the ride experience" of that? For that matter, if SoB w/o the loop was this problematic, then why was it even reopened in the first place back in 2007? What makes May 2009 different from August 2007?

Sorry about my response. I do tend to overreact. It comes from the fact that I never had a chance to ride Son of Beast (and that the incident was reported 16 days late). It is was? is still the world's tallest and fastest wooden coaster, and to be denied the right to ride is an insult to my coaster enthusiast dreams. There may never be another wooden coaster as tall and fast as SoB, and I admit, possibly due to SoB. Prefabs, should they reach these heights, just aren't the same. It's the coaster enthusiast in me that doesn't care if the ride is as rough as Chuck Norris.

BTW, I do not know the downtime the ride had during its operation without the loop (from reopening in 2007 to closing last May). It would give me a clearer picture if I had that data. BTW, the only other time I was in Kings Island (unusual, since I have lived in the Dayton area since the late nineties) was October 2007 during the first Halloween Haunt. I rode Drop Zone (Drop Tower) and Face Off (Invertigo), and from what I saw, I don't think SoB was operating then. Can you verify this?

Yes, I know of its reputation, its past, and its roughness. I even looked at a

of SoB without the loop and compared it to
. I can't really prove SoB to be the rougher of the two. Shouldn't Mean Streak be getting the injury complaints SoB has been getting? Shouldn't Mean Streak be shut down too, given that we're "not satisfied with the ride experience" of that? For that matter, if SoB w/o the loop was this problematic, then why was it even reopened in the first place back in 2007? What makes May 2009 different from August 2007?

Comparing videos between rides does no justice for either ride. There are WAY too many variables like: type of camera used and how the camera was mounted being the biggest variables off the top of my head.

That said, you really hit the nail on the head of what I was joking around with. Rides like MS and Beast also have a reputation of being rough and each has been around much longer than SoB. I do agree that both rides are on the rough side, but neither compare to SoB's roughness. Both rides have had complaints, but, neither have had the numerous injury complaints as SoB. Even aside from the injury complaints, there has never been another ride that has had the issues like SoB and still operates today.

Sorry about my response. I do tend to overreact. It comes from the fact that I never had a chance to ride Son of Beast (and that the incident was reported 16 days late). It is was? is still the world's tallest and fastest wooden coaster, and to be denied the right to ride is an insult to my coaster enthusiast dreams. There may never be another wooden coaster as tall and fast as SoB, and I admit, possibly due to SoB. Prefabs, should they reach these heights, just aren't the same. It's the coaster enthusiast in me that doesn't care if the ride is as rough as Chuck Norris.

I can relate to your feelings as I felt the same way in 2000 when I made the trek to KI, only to find SoB down numerous times. Finally, I was able to get on it, and boy, was I disappointed. The ride looks to be magnificent as there is no other ride that is as impressive looking as SoB. But that is where the thrill ended. The ride was not fun. It was also the first ride that I ever had to take a break from riding other rides.

Both owners of the park must have also known about SoB's issues as they tried numerous times to make the ride more enjoyable for most people by pouring in millions of dollars on modifications with little to show in the end.

If it wasn't broke, then why fix it?

BTW, I do not know the downtime the ride had during its operation without the loop (from reopening in 2007 to closing last May). It would give me a clearer picture if I had that data. BTW, the only other time I was in Kings Island (unusual, since I have lived in the Dayton area since the late nineties) was October 2007 during the first Halloween Haunt. I rode Drop Zone (Drop Tower) and Face Off (Invertigo), and from what I saw, I don't think SoB was operating then. Can you verify this?

That particular HH SoB was not operating on some nights. Chances are, you were at the park on a night it was closed.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11229&st=0&p=183546&hl=Son%20of%20beast&fromsearch=1entry183546