OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

Exactly GYC, your right! I honesty believe that they will try and fix SoB. Now what they do with it, who knows. But when you think about it that ride has so many records it would be a loss to destroy it. I don't know I just love the ride so I'm telling myself it will succeed.

I've said this before and I will say it again. Time will tell.

Let's say the ride has cost $30 million so far. Let's also say that the Iron Horse re-do might cost $12 million, and demolition could be $8 million. Your options are a $42 million chance at success, or a $38 million dollar empty field. At some point, you have to look at that sort of big picture and say, "It might be worth it to at least try." If it costs $8 million to demolish, that isn't "starting over fresh." It'll cost $8 million just to get back to an empty field... Then another $20 million for another big addition...

plus, the costs of the ride up until '06 were paid by paramount, Cedar Fair has only had to pay for things after '06 dealing with Son of Beast, so they might not think of the cost pre- Cedar Fair days, instead they might only be looking at what they've had to pay.

Guest rcfreak339

If Kings Island is planning on reopening Son of Beast some drastic needs to happen in order for me to EVER get back on it. Land Clearing is a sign that either parts from a new ride will be moved there or that something is going to be demolished. I think that Son of Beast will be demolished but thats just me.

you make good points GYK. Who knows maybe there is still some hope left for it. I know every trip to KI feels somewhat incomplete without a ride on SOB. At the same time I think I'd be fine if they tore it down and put a new coaster in its place.

Honestly though I realize I'm in the minority when it comes to people who like the coaster. Also the '06 incident to me just kinda proves its a bad cheaply built structure and all the new trains are doing on it is buying time till it breaks again. Between Paramount and Cedar Fair I believe over $40 million has already been pumped into maintaining and modifying the Son of Beast, yet stuff keeps happening on it, and its just got a bad rep overall. Also I'd think if they were planning on reopening it they'd at least put it on the park map, or keep the signage up for it. As far as the GP is concerned, the Coaster doesn't exist. I just don't see where they can go from here. And as for the "iron horse" solution, how does that help the faulty structure? It will def. improve upon the overal ride quality, but The structure can still fail!

But even that being said I don't see them tearing it down till they need the land for something. The Cheapest option still is to do nothing right now, or just reopen it. I honestly don't see why they are keeping it closed. The State of Ohio has cleared it to operate, they might as well open it!

Obnoxious? If you have nothing nice to say about my posts then do not comment at all! If you think my posts are bad I suggest you go back and read some of yours!

Don't sweat it Purple.

Although we may disagree on some things, at least you choose to use intelligence in your posts.

Let's say the ride has cost $30 million so far. Let's also say that the Iron Horse re-do might cost $12 million, and demolition could be $8 million. Your options are a $42 million chance at success, or a $38 million dollar empty field. At some point, you have to look at that sort of big picture and say, "It might be worth it to at least try." If it costs $8 million to demolish, that isn't "starting over fresh." It'll cost $8 million just to get back to an empty field... Then another $20 million for another big addition...

So it is, economically speaking, better to risk $12,000,000 for a ride that has only been successful on paper rather than starting out fresh?

And where did the $8,000,000 price tag of demolition come from?

I would also like to know why it would cost $20,000,000 for another big addition. Many other successful coasters have been well under $10,000,000.

I would also like to know why it would cost $20,000,000 for another big addition. Many other successful coasters have been well under $10,000,000.

Prowler: $8,000,000.

Voyage: $8,500,000.

Balder: $9,000,000.

So, using GYK's calculations, Son of Beast could be renovated for $12,000,000 and have to risk another failure, or it can be removed and replaced for $16,000,000. For just $4,000,000 more then a renovation, they can get a coaster that is almost guaranteed to work and please guests.

If I'm Cedar Fair, I cut my losses and ditch the ride. Replace it with something that won't leave a black spot on Kings Island.

Although this isn't really relevant with the land clearing, but I rode Adventure Express yesterday and I could see both SoB's trains sitting on the ground near it's station. They were uncovered. I think some people thought they had been moved somewhere else other than near SoB, but they are still there!

Guest Millennium

Obnoxious? If you have nothing nice to say about my posts then do not comment at all! If you think my posts are bad I suggest you go back and read some of yours!

Don't sweat it Purple.

Although we may disagree on some things, at least you choose to use intelligence in your posts.

Thanks for the shot at me. In my opinion it is not necessary to bump up a conversation that was done.

If people are talking about you, atleast you are doing something.

Cedar Fair (or Kings Island) is thinking too hard about all this. They're not releasing any updates on the ride, and they're just letting it sit there. There's really only two solutions: Destroy it or keep it. Why can't they just make up their minds?!

Don't sweat it Purple.

Thanks for the shot at me. In my opinion it is not necessary to bump up a conversation that was done.

If people are talking about you, atleast you are doing something.

I wasn't taking a shot at you.

Paranoid much?

Cedar Fair (or Kings Island) is thinking too hard about all this. They're not releasing any updates on the ride, and they're just letting it sit there. There's really only two solutions: Destroy it or keep it. Why can't they just make up their minds?!

They did make a decision:

I have just received official word from the park that Son of Beast will NOT in fact operate in 2010. The park will, however, still be entertaining the possibility of operating it in the future.

Now that we have this out of our season, let's look forward to the 2010 season and what it will offer. It's only about a month away!!!

I had delayed posting this until it was officially confirmed:

http://www.oxfordpre...son-607408.html

If they were to tear it down, I would love to see them replace with a coaster with the exact same layout, lol. but thats just me.

to me Son of Beast was never THAT rough to begin with, at least not as people make it out to be. I mean it's wood! of course it not gonna be super smooth.

Roughness is one of the main reasons wooden caster are still being made. Thats the point of it.

If someone doesn't like it, they shouldn't get on.

I think people just want something to complain about and agree with. It was the tallest wooden coaster, of curse it's gonna be rougher than normal.

Pretty soon, people are gonna start saying "Kingda is too fast!". Well of course it fast, thats the point!. LOL

this post wasn't made to offend anyone, just saying how I feel.

I would love to see it re-opened though. Or at least give it a few "going-away runs ".

But even that being said I don't see them tearing it down till they need the land for something. The Cheapest option still is to do nothing right now, or just reopen it. I honestly don't see why they are keeping it closed. The State of Ohio has cleared it to operate, they might as well open it!

Because I guarantee that the can't get their insurance company to cover the ride. So they can open the ride but if they do and something happens. The money comes out of their pocket.....

^

EDIT: Sorry for the double post

If they were to tear it down, I would love to see them replace with a coaster with the exact same layout, lol. but thats just me.

to me Son of Beast was never THAT rough to begin with, at least not as people make it out to be. I mean it's wood! of course it not gonna be super smooth.

Roughness is one of the main reasons wooden caster are still being made. Thats the point of it.

If someone doesn't like it, they shouldn't get on.

I think people just want something to complain about and agree with. It was the tallest wooden coaster, of curse it's gonna be rougher than normal.

Pretty soon, people are gonna start saying "Kingda is too fast!". Well of course it fast, thats the point!. LOL

this post wasn't made to offend anyone, just saying how I feel.

I would love to see it re-opened though. Or at least give it a few "going-away runs ".

Great post man! I agree i didn't find Sonny any more rough than you'd expect from a wooden coaster that goes 80mph and has a drop over 200 feet. I know even before the incident it's been considered a bust my many enthusiasts but I rode it twice in 2003 and it met my expectations and I got off calling it "the best coaster ever" both times. It had a 45 minute wait but I waited, and love it so much I had to wait again.

Now after the new trains were put on, THEN it became to rough IMO. That is in the back half of the train. From the middle car and up the ride isn't bad, but the back half of the train was ridiculously rough. It was apparent that the ride was never designed to take those trains.

I do want to add though that inspite of my love for the coaster, Its time to let it go. The main problem is its a lemon. it has the build quality of a Ford Pinto, and its a mechanical maintenance nightmare, and its time to let it go, and all the modifications in the world aren't going to fix it. It needs to be completely demolished and rebuilt. I truley do believe the whole design would have worked and could have been potentially loved by enthusiast had Paramount not chosen some joke of a company to built it. American Roller Coaster company? I mean Who is that? You'd think if you were out to build the best ever wooden coaster in the world you'd get one of the best company's out there, such as GCI, to build it.

I mean what if instead of having Diamondback built by B&M, they had it built by some little hole in the wall engineering firm? Anyway I wouldn't mind if they demoloshied it and had Intamin or GCI build them an awesome woodie for the area. More than anything I want a B&M invert. After all even without Son of Beast, we still have 2 great wooden coasters, including one that many people consider the best ever.

Guest Millennium

^^GCI would never build a 200+ foot tall coaster. And Paramount may have, for all we know, have gone to several companies before they could get one to agree to build it.

I think eventually Intamin will build a 200+ tall wooden coaster. And I REALLY hope it stays open..some fun memories with that thing.

all i'm saying is that if someone asked me to do something more extreme than what i'm used to, as long as i had the correct funding, i'd happily attempt whatever it was they were wanting me to do.

i mean, it's not like they would have been asked to build the world's tallest steel coaster with a launch, instead they would have been asked to build something they were used to, just on a bigger scale.

Guest Millennium

all i'm saying is that if someone asked me to do something more extreme than what i'm used to, as long as i had the correct funding, i'd happily attempt whatever it was they were wanting me to do.

i mean, it's not like they would have been asked to build the world's tallest steel coaster with a launch, instead they would have been asked to build something they were used to, just on a bigger scale.

It's easier to say than do. They are asked to something MUCH bigger than they are used to, especially back 10 years ago. It says something that today, no wooden coaster operating is over 70mph, and I'm sure SOB effected some companies decisions whether to build one or not.

Do you really think Paramount first went to Roller Coaster Corporation of America? Why not CCI? OR GCI?

i never said they went to roller coaster corp. of america first, stop putting words in my mouth.

i'd be shocked if they were the first ones that were asked, all i said was that for the right price they most likely would have done it.

did you ever think their price tag (either cci, or gci), wasn't in the parks budget. there is more that goes into a parks decision of who to have build something than whether or not the company wants to.

Today at the lunch for Coasting For Kids Don mentioned Son of Beast. He said not to pay attention to ANYTHING being said on any fansite, etc cause they are all just rumors.

If I heard him correctly, he said the park hasn't even discussed the ride in a long time and do not plan on it. Something about perhaps they will know what they are doing with it by NEXT fall.

Well it wouldn't surprise me if maybe that was the reason GCI wouldn't build a coaster for them. Certain coaster companies don't like doing certain things. For instance B&M doesn't like building coasters over 300 feet and they don't like LIM launches.

a. That a coaster is wood is not an automatic pass to allow it to be rough. Wooden coasters can be smooth. Much depends on design, much else depends on maintenance.

b. The general contractor for the majority of Son of Beast's construction was....Paramount Parks. They relieved Roller Coaster Corporation of America's subsidiary of that role, and then took over that burden themselves. They sued Roller Coaster Corporation of America and its Ohio subsidiary, obtained a judgment, but collected not a dime. They then attempted to sue their own insurance company for the loss, but lost...