OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

Inside info? No. I just appreciate the way that Holiday World and other smaller parks tell you when a roller coaster is down, why it's not working, how long they anticipate it to take. Even if they're wrong, at least they're open and honest. Of course, that is also the kind of park where the owners stand outside every night and greet guests, thanking them for their time. Kings Island has far surpassed being a park like that.

c. At least one poster here is not a coaster enthusiast and has not been for years. Industry enthusiast? Yes. Park enthusiast? Yes. Strong friend of and supporter of the industry? Yes. Coaster enthusiast? Not even close.

Me? smile.gif

Islander. Park Enthusiast? Dark Ride Enthusiast? Yes. Industry Enthusiast? Yes. Roller Coaster Enthusiast? By no means.

Edited by Coney Islander

If I built a theme park, I would absolutely stand outside each evening, and morning, interacting with guests. And I would be absolutely adamant that any and all future managers do the same after my time... You wonder if the same can be said of Kings Island's origins, and that that practice has been lost in time?

Inside info? No. I just appreciate the way that Holiday World and other smaller parks tell you when a roller coaster is down, why it's not working, how long they anticipate it to take. Even if they're wrong, at least they're open and honest. Of course, that is also the kind of park where the owners stand outside every night and greet guests, thanking them for their time. Kings Island has far surpassed being a park like that.

Every time I've been to Holiday World and The Voyage is down I've never been told: why or how long. Don't get me wrong, Holiday World is a wonderful park, but I think you're getting blinded by its other features.

The reason parks don't tell guests these things is because its all about perception. Lets say a bolt breaks off of "Roller Coaster 1" at "Jimmy's Fun Park." Now, there's hundreds of bolts on that car, that bolt might have not even been vital, just one of many on the ride's cars. Over time wear and tear takes its toll on all machines. No big deal, they'll just close down real quick and replace it. Jimmy stands at the front of the line and tells every guest coming up that "a bolt broke" and he expects it to take "15 minutes." Now, unless he takes the time to explain exactly how and what the repairs are to a guest not familiar with roller coaster maintenance, all that guest is hearing is: "something broke." And soon you have "Vortex is sinking" or "someone died on Son of Beast" type deals.

Guests come back 15 minutes later, but an electrical problem has been found and the ride will now be closed for two more hours. As a guest, you'd probably be pretty upset, I mean he did say 15 minutes and now we're at two hours? I highly doubt a guest who has been wandering around a crowded park in the heat all day after spending good money to come into the park is gonna say: "Well at least he was open and honest." Because the way he sees it, he wasn't honest. He said 15 minutes and it wasn't.

Its all about perception. "Minor delay, not sure how long, might want to go experience one of our other fine attractions" is a safer bet. They use it at holiday world too.

Earlier this summer, I took a visit to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Amazing park!

The managers, at the end of the day, do a great job in getting people to come back. They lead people away from thinking the Amusement Park as an operation run by fat cat businessmen, and toward thinking as an organization run by friends and neighbors.

Guest rcfreak339

At every Six Flags park, at the end of the evening, at least under the recently departed management, every major manager and department head gathers at the exit at closing, and thanks as many guests as personally for coming, and takes questions, comments, etc.

I have also noticed this at EVERY Six Flags park Iv'e been to. It's very nice of them to do that...it makes a guest feel as if they are actually people and not just dollar signs. Although, most likely still to them they are just dollar signs.

I don't think guests are entitled to 100% of knowladge that managment or anyone else in the theme park industry does. We do get informed in press realeses and such about whats going on, and thats all you/we/I/he/she needs to know about it. As terpy has said, Those that talk don't know, and those that know, don't talk (Or something like that, I mighta paraphrased). There is no reason for Little Suzy Q to know about what Major B&M Invert is going where SOB is (NOT SAYING IT IS, JUST AN EXAMPLE). Or that SOB is going to be fixed for next year. She will find out when CF wants us to find out. IF skyline chili wanted to loose its special value, they would give us the secret ingrediants (other than Chocolate, and cinimin etc). Its a need to know basis.

As for the automated sign, well I guess that could work, but an employee would have to remeber to push the RIDE CLOSED button everytime the ride went down, which I think they have more things to think about other than just pressing a button to let guest's know. I havn't heard of many guests leaving in an outrage because they had to take 100 extra steps into X-Base to see if things are open or not.

Its not a secret :)

Skyline Chili

1 quart water

2 pounds ground chuck, crumbled

2 medium onions, finely chopped

5-6 cloves garlic, crushed (use garlic press) or minced

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

10 peppercorns, ground

8 whole allspice, ground

8 whole cloves, ground

1 large bay leaf

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated

I was not impressed with Skyline Chili at all. It was alright, but they (exit 19 I 71) were stingy with the portions. I guess they believe the huge amount of cheese piled on top of everything makes up for it.

I prefer a nice meaty/beany light you on fire Texas Chili.

whats the point of this topic? I am confused.

..What is the point of this thread?

I had also heard a rumor a long time ago that KD's FOF had a major mechanical problem in the offseason and was the reason why it was SBNO in the pre-season.

My dream? A park owner who is straight up and tells you what's going on. Do you think that, if it were at Holiday World, folks would've been left in the dark about Flight of Fear? The Crypt? Son of Beast?

Yes. Why do you think you have a right to know? Just cause you're an enthusiast. Decisions are made by people trained and paid to make said decisions. This is a business. As park guests, we're not going to understand the full extent of decisions and taken out of context you get crap like this thread. Look at Helbig and Scheid's comments way back at the beginning of this thread, everyone immediately got all up in arms and jumped to conclusions. The ignorance of guests to understand the gravity of the situation considering they don't work for the park is probably why they're not telling you everything. It's a business. P&G isn't telling me what's gonna be their next new brand of Old Spice deodarant, yet I'm still buying the product even without their "communication." You want to know more about Cedar Fair's decisions, go work for them. If not, go to Kings Island and just have fun. They're gonna do with the rides what they want and do what makes the most sense for them as a business.

Communication is key in any and every relationship you'll ever have - that includes park management and its guests. When they are open with you, you'll be open with them. The two parties can grow and evolve to each-others needs and wants and create a dramatically sincere and involved business model. When guests are left in the dark with little to no personal, emotional connection (in other words, when everything they hear from the park is a pre-approved, screened, scripted update), guests get antsy and question their leadership. See, for example, Flight of Fear with Paramount, the Son of Beast fiasco (which, until Mr. Scheid's comments a few months ago, had been all but ignored) and the elimination of the 5@5 on Facebook, which was probably the best communication tool of a corporate-owned theme park that I can recall. Communication is key.

Sounds like you're really saying that you wish they'd blab about more inside info.

Consumers who purchase season passes have the right to know what product(s) and services they have purchased. There are things called comsumer protection statutes that prohibit dishonesty in advertisements and representations about the product. Simply put, if consumers purchase a pass they have every right to know what their nickles entitle them to ride, watch, etc. Lying to them or withholding information, under certain circumstances, can be a violation of the law.

And thats why there are press realeses for a new season, or a webpage Visitkingsisland.com where said consumer can see the rides for the years, and shows, and food, etc... Thus the information that SHOULD be avail to the public IS, and the information that IS NOT avail to the public (IE doesn't need to be) isn't.

And thats why there are press realeses for a new season, or a webpage Visitkingsisland.com where said consumer can see the rides for the years, and shows, and food, etc... Thus the information that SHOULD be avail to the public IS, and the information that IS NOT avail to the public (IE doesn't need to be) isn't.

As long as the advertising is true, you are correct. However, if the "inside information" renders the representations made to the public false or misleading, that is a different story. For example, a certain park that numbers its flags and still represents on its website that consumers can ride thirteen roller coasters would, in my opinion, be in violation of the law if it was located in Ohio.

So ride rotation would have seen KI lose FOF. The question I'd ask before calling this a fail is what would KI have received?

In all honestly, what from the other Paramount Parks would you be interested in receiving? Perhaps we would have received BORG Assimilator (now Nighthawk) from Carowinds? :P Oh the unmitigated irony of it all!

Not saying I had any specific ride in mind - just wondering. Although I think Carowinds has a nice set of scooters :D

Communication is key in any and every relationship you'll ever have - that includes park management and its guests.

Agree with this statement - while I recognize that some information must be kept confidential and private in any business, communication and customer relationships are vital to the long term success of an amusement park in my opinion.

Its all about perception. "Minor delay, not sure how long, might want to go experience one of our other fine attractions" is a safer bet. They use it at holiday world too.

Understand your concern and agree that quoting times is a dangerous thing to do in this situation. Yes, KI (and HW and many other parks) do use this line. The frustration with KI (and CF) communication stems from other examples like the following:

- I've previously told the story about a Snowy River Rampage being down for a "safety break" when there was an operational issue. Telling the truth never hurts

- Comparisons with Holiday World Facebook updates on Timberliner train status, Wildebeest issues, ride downtime following the recent lghtning, etc. versus the silence from KI after the power outage, discontinuation of the 5@5, etc

- Timeliness and completeness of communication. A few examples - Planet Snoopy announcement versus every other old Nick park, Ride Warriors weekend 2010, power outage, SoB status for 2010

Well, when was the last time KI posted soemthing that wasn't true?

Hopefully, for their sake, they never have. However, you, and others, seem to have the impression that the park has an absolute right to provide and withhold information from those who provide it with their hard earned nickles as the park sees fit. That assumption is simply not correct. And to my knowledge, KI has never done so.