OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

I have taken quite a few friends to the park who haven't gone before...I would have had to ride 4 times if it was open!

Cha ching!

The latest 'dirt' I have on SOB is that the rose bowl will be gutted, and then replaced with an out and back section.

Texas Giant treatment? I'm all for it. But at the same time, I'm on the boat with...the amount of money, effort, and advertising it will take to turn this ride around....just get rid of it!

Either way will please me.

Did you know Woodstock Express has a trim before the second turn around?

I have enjoyed Son of Beast not operating this year.

Really? Because I for one for one has not. I hate seeing such a big ride just sitting there. I wish it would've opened because I only got to ride it once in early May 09'. I can't remember the full ride experience for some vague reason. Then again, probably the most reason I hate seeing SOB sit there is because of how anxious I am of what will goes in it's place...!smile.gif

*memory loss is a sign of a concussion or a serious neural injury.... hahah

in all seriousness if you didnt ride the ride with the loop you missed the good years of SOB. I have stated earlier SOB was one of my favorite rides till the loop was lost. Then it was not as fun then the newer trains and the ride just kept getting rougher.... so will I miss the ride of 2009? no. 2001? yes...

I honestly used to loathe SOB. I rode it a couple of times, and hated it. I then gave it another chance, and I ended up loving it. It was not long after that, that it closed.

In the meantime, I have gotten a reride on Georgia Cyclone, come to enjoy Blue Racer, and lapped Voyage an astounding 24 times in less than 3 hours at Holiwood Nights this year. I certainly wouldn't mind giving SOB another chance, and I too hate seeing it sit there with no trains, and no riders.. it makes me wistful.

I don't mind people saying they dislike the ride because it hurts them. That is a valid reason not to enjoy a ride.

But sitting here saying "z0mg lets have a weenie and marshmallow roast" or "taer it down!" just to be cool and get attention.. seriously, grow up. The last time I looked, this thread wasn't titled "Official SOB Bashing Thread," and those of us who do enjoy the ride really wish some of you would give it a rest.

The main reasons a coaster is torn down is:

because it is a maintenance nightmare,

they fall into disrepair,

or it is being moved to another park..

not because they don't fit everyone's idea of a fun ride, and certainly not because a few dramatic kids on a forum are jumping on the I Hate SOB bandwagon.

^ Just because someone does not like the ride and wishes it was torn down is not bashing the ride. I honestly do hate the ride so I wish they would burn it down however some people like it and want to keep it, and I am far from being a kid. I so wish they would tear it down and do something with that area.

I honestly used to loathe SOB. I rode it a couple of times, and hated it. I then gave it another chance, and I ended up loving it. It was not long after that, that it closed.

In the meantime, I have gotten a reride on Georgia Cyclone, come to enjoy Blue Racer, and lapped Voyage an astounding 24 times in less than 3 hours at Holiwood Nights this year. I certainly wouldn't mind giving SOB another chance, and I too hate seeing it sit there with no trains, and no riders.. it makes me wistful.

I don't mind people saying they dislike the ride because it hurts them. That is a valid reason not to enjoy a ride.

But sitting here saying "z0mg lets have a weenie and marshmallow roast" or "taer it down!" just to be cool and get attention.. seriously, grow up. The last time I looked, this thread wasn't titled "Official SOB Bashing Thread," and those of us who do enjoy the ride really wish some of you would give it a rest.

The main reasons a coaster is torn down is:

because it is a maintenance nightmare,

they fall into disrepair,

or it is being moved to another park..

not because they don't fit everyone's idea of a fun ride, and certainly not because a few dramatic kids on a forum are jumping on the I Hate SOB bandwagon.

where does major revamping sit on this list? Those are good reasons to tear down the ride but obviously someone high up is not happy with this ride. So its not just some "kids" on a forum wishing it would be torn down.

where does major revamping sit on this list?

Oops, I forgot that one! Thanks for pointing that out.

*I'm not referring to everyone on here as kids, it's just the ones that are being rude and hateful about it that are (and have been) getting on my nerves, along with several of my friends who do enjoy the ride.

My point of view is "as I see it," and is not intended to be argumentative, so I'm sorry if it sounded that way. :)

where does major revamping sit on this list?

Oops, I forgot that one! Thanks for pointing that out.

*I'm not referring to everyone on here as kids, it's just the ones that are being rude and hateful about it that are (and have been) getting on my nerves, along with several of my friends who do enjoy the ride.

My point of view is "as I see it," and is not intended to be argumentative, so I'm sorry if it sounded that way. :)

I thought you might have. revamping and maintenance costs are 2 different things that determine a rides future....

i know you were not be, I was just bringing the conversation back around to the point of the thread. SOB is not running this year because someone, who gets paid for their opinion, does not think SOB is either safe or enjoyable enough to be ridden this year. Nothing more or nothing less. I personally dont like the ride but my day is not ruined nor made better by the ride being torn down or running....

Taking out the rose bowl area might be the winning idea honestly. The ride isn't really rough until it reaches the rose bowl, and it seems the only purpose of the rose bowl is to beat the snot out of you. Theres not really anything entertaining about it. I think if they could find away to put some airtime hills in its place, the Son of Beast would go from a reviled hate object to an overall just good wooden coaster! It would be similar to the transformation of Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge.

Take my idea with a grain of salt though. I don't know what Cedar Fair is going to do, I have no idea how much that would cost, and it might be just best if they tear it down at this point. But i do know I hate seeing it standing there, and Cedar Fair pretending it doesn't exist.

The last time I looked, this thread wasn't titled "Official SOB Bashing Thread,"

Your right! Believe it or not, this thread was supposed to be looking forward to the 2010 seaon and what it will offer. Even though the 2010 season is already more than halfway over, I'm just sayin'.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21000&st=0

I don't think its the first time dirt has been cleared by SOB. Didn't this happen while they were building Diamondback?

Yeah this doesn't mean much to me. I like everyone else am anxious to hear something, but I'm not going to get excited over a pile of dirt!

And if you think that the park's lack of parking lot trams, sky ride, and in-park transportation are not deal-breakers for many, you are sadly mistaken. There was a time when my family could bring our grandmothers to the park on our big family outings. They were content to have a ride up to International Street and spend the day sitting by the fountains talking, with occasional trips to the International Street stores. That is no longer the case, and whether CFHQ care or not, we no longer take big "immediately family" trips to Kings Island because of it...

Think of The Magic Kingdom - grandparents and non-riders can happily ride the train though the day, visit exhibits, stroll through gardens, and ride a half-dozen gentle dark rides. Imagine yourself as a non-rider - what do you do at Kings Island? The train to Boomerang Bay, devoid of scenery? stroll through the Tower "Gardens"? ride Boo Blasters (which is fun, but certainly not grandma-appropriate to a degree)? ride the sky ride (oh, wait)?

And again I must stress, the loss of parking lot transportation is far more serious than most of us here care to think about. For many, the first question when planning a family trip is, "Is there a way for grandma or grandpa to get around easily, and plenty to do once they're inside?" In the case of Kings Island, there simply is not.

You sir, deserve the pat on the back. I was just discussing this with Justin_M17 at KI yesterday when I showed him my grandpas 1994 KI season pass. My grandparents LOVED Cedar Point but often got bored very quickly with KI. They were happy with the easy going stuff such as Space Spiral, train, paddlewheel boats and the long list of shows at CP. For KI at the time, it was basically only riding the Antique Cars with me and much fewer shows..

And if you think that the park's lack of parking lot trams, sky ride, and in-park transportation are not deal-breakers for many, you are sadly mistaken. There was a time when my family could bring our grandmothers to the park on our big family outings. They were content to have a ride up to International Street and spend the day sitting by the fountains talking, with occasional trips to the International Street stores. That is no longer the case, and whether CFHQ care or not, we no longer take big "immediately family" trips to Kings Island because of it...

Think of The Magic Kingdom - grandparents and non-riders can happily ride the train though the day, visit exhibits, stroll through gardens, and ride a half-dozen gentle dark rides. Imagine yourself as a non-rider - what do you do at Kings Island? The train to Boomerang Bay, devoid of scenery? stroll through the Tower "Gardens"? ride Boo Blasters (which is fun, but certainly not grandma-appropriate to a degree)? ride the sky ride (oh, wait)?

My grandparents have been to KI by themselves twice this year. They tell me how interesting everything is. They just love to watch the roller coasters. Not only that, but on most days, a non rider could do all of these things:

1. Shop

2.eat

3.Boo blasters

4.Carousel

5.wave pool

6.Woodstock Wirley Birds

7.Snoopy Rocks:on ice

8.Charlie Brown's Hoedown

9.Way Too Much T.V

10. Down Home Country

11.Sign Sealed Delivered

12.Don't Stop The Music

13.Arcade

14.Train

15.Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular

16.Fireworks

17.Eiffel Tower

18. Lazy River

That's all I can think of, I bet there is more.