OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

I know someone who just got a job at KI about a month ago and during training they were told to pretty much ignore all questions about SOB. They also told them to act like the ride didn't exist and to act like the person asking the question was delusional. I thought that was pretty funny.

I hope that they get it fixed and can reopen it. I am so disappointed that I never made it to KI to ride it when it had the loop.

So last night on Channel 5 news they said that there were people trying to come up with a fix for SOB and try to reopen it and be better. How true was that though and where are they getting this information from also????

Me thinks that whatever rep told Channel 5 that basically just repeated what was said before. "no Decision has been made and we're still weighing all options". So basically its the same thing we've heard before but in different words. Nothing to get excited about.

Though I have wondered recently about how people have said they want a new woodie, and I've wondered if they can renovate SOB into a new wooden coaster, and rename it, similar to what kennywood did with the Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge.

Really that coaster gives me some faith that maybe some day SOB will re-open. I mean Phantom's revenge went from a coaster that was too painful and too intense to enjoy to being regarded as one of the best steel coaster's in the world.

Though I have wondered recently about how people have said they want a new woodie, and I've wondered if they can renovate SOB into a new wooden coaster, and rename it, similar to what kennywood did with the Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge.

Doubt it. The idea there was to maintain the famous drop and excessive speed. With SOB, thats exactly what they'd be trying to get rid of. Plus aside from the lift, first drop, and the incline of the second hill; everything else on phantom was replaced. You'd essentially be tearing down all of SOB and rebuilding a new coaster; you may be able to utilize the second helix... maybe.

^I can't argue with that. Steel Phantom had some nice claims to fame before the renovation, Son of Beast's biggest claim to fame seemed to be the loop, which is now gone anyway.

I just hope they do SOMETHING with it next year. Renovate, re-open, or tear it down. IF they choose to do nothing with it this offseason at least come to some sort of decision! I too hate looking at it. Honestly my trips to KI feel kind of incomplete, since in '07, and '08 it was my favorite coaster! IF i can never ride it again, please tear it down and get rid of it. I hate looking at it!

And thats what really sucks about it. As soon as KI comes into view from the Interstate, the first things you see are Eiffel Tower, Diamondback, and Son of Beast! And whats even funnier is the second tallest coaster in the park is supposed to be nothing more than a mirage. Lets see Kings Island only has 13 coaster now, down from 14 last year, all signage is removed, and the thing that cracks me up the most, it's not there at all on the park map!

It's not even marked as closed when you go to the line. All their was when I went was a chain link fence across the entrance. I saw at least 5-10 groups of people trying to find the entrance to the line while walking to FD, there isnt a sign that says "Sorry Son of Beast is closed".

It's not even marked as closed when you go to the line. All their was when I went was a chain link fence across the entrance. I saw at least 5-10 groups of people trying to find the entrance to the line while walking to FD, there isnt a sign that says "Sorry Son of Beast is closed".

Yup and lots of people go to the park expecting to ride it. When exiting AE last weekend the people behind us said, "Let's ride Racer real quick before meeting the guys at Son of Beast"

I believe that its removal from the park map, website, and in-park signage is their sign saying it won't be open all season.

Plus, as is customary, the LED sign outside the main entrance which lists the park's closed attractions has been saying "Son of Beast" all season - it's their safe-guard so that people do not enter the park, find their favorite ride closed, and then report to guest services ranting and raving about refunds. Those who haven't heard about its closure on the news, haven't noticed its removal from the map, haven't seen the signs announcing its in-operation, and haven't gotten the clue from its boarded up entrance and removed logo will have to go to what some call "the school of hard-knocks," I suppose.

Though based on the name, the school of hard-knocks' classroom may be Son of Beast... In which case they can't go to that institution, after all.

I believe that its removal from the park map, website, and in-park signage is their sign saying it won't be open all season.

Plus, as is customary, the LED sign outside the main entrance which lists the park's closed attractions has been saying "Son of Beast" all season - it's their safe-guard so that people do not enter the park, find their favorite ride closed, and then report to guest services ranting and raving about refunds. Those who haven't heard about its closure on the news, haven't noticed its removal from the map, haven't seen the signs announcing its in-operation, and haven't gotten the clue from its boarded up entrance and removed logo will have to go to what some call "the school of hard-knocks," I suppose.

Though based on the name, the school of hard-knocks' classroom may be Son of Beast... In which case they can't go to that institution, after all.

I do not believe the LED signs have said Son of Beast at all this year as rides not operating.

Yeah I believe the LED signs have not listed SoB as closed this year... I know it hasn't the 12 different times I've visited the park. I check the LED signs every time i'm there. I figured it would at least list it, but no mention. Oh well...