OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

YEah I hear yah. If they take it out hopefully the put a good coaster in its place... maybe perhaps an Intamin prefab woodie... they could call it "GrandSon of Beast" lol.

Funny, but if replaced with new ride I doubt that "Beast" will be any where near the new name!

I was just thinking, if Son of Beast were to be replaced with steel, would it be any fun? It doesn't do too much for a steel coaster. Although, I guess Phantom's Revenge is really fun after it got rid of all its inversions.

But really, do you think it would look fun?

An update of the Texas Giant roller coaster from Theme Park Review... A few photo highlights:

tpr5_2.jpg

img_3791-c.jpg

tpr1_3.jpg

tpr4_3.jpg

Very much looking forward to see how this turns out. It's really, really beautiful, so I very much hope it works out well! Can you imagine Son of Beast gain this blazing red steel track, and an overhaul to its layout? Anything is possible!

It really is beautiful... The first picture of the first drop? Wow... I mean, I'm impressed. I'd happily travel to ride that. Though the second hill is a double-up that looks like it might be a little intense.

img_3842-c.jpg

(From same site linked in last post)

I mean, going from that steep, fast first drop into a double-up of that size? I don't know... I feel like the train's gonna want to pop off the rails at the top of the first hump.

I'm sure it cost quite a lot. What remains to be seen if it's worth it. Texas Giant was known as one of the roughest roller coasters on Earth. If this redo salvages the ride (and maybe even has it break into a top 10 list), then it can be highly marketed and make money for the park. If it helps, but it just makes it the same as any other roller coaster, a real 6/10-er, it probably won't be attempted much in the future.

And remember, we don't know how much it would cost on Son of Beast, or if the overseeing company would even agree to do it to Son of Beast. But let's say it ends up being very successful on Texas Giant. So Cedar Fair has them analyze Son of Beast, and they decide that it will cost $10 million (I'm making these financial figures up from scratch) to give Son of Beast the same treatment. Then maybe, they find that demolishing and removing Son of Beast would cost $6 million.

That's not an easy decision, is it? A $10 million gamble, or a $6 million dollar assured empty field. You can bet that sort of decision would require more than one meeting at CFHQ! And remember, Texas Giant is not keeping its original layout. Bits and pieces, yes. But there are new hills, new valleys, new trains, new angles, new speeds, new forces, and basically, a new ride experience. The new Texas Giant just utilizes some support structure from the old Texas Giant (and even then, only some).

See I could totally see them doing that to some extent. ON one hand yes nearly 40 million has already been spent on trying to modify the Son of Beast to make it more enjoyable, and thus far to the GP it still sucks, and its ridiculous to even imagine Kings Island spending even another cent on trying to make it a good coaster! ON the other hand what it has NOT had was a massive renovation, one so extent its basically a new coaster when it's done. YOu could look at it as "more money being thrown at Son of Beast" or just simply "Money being spent on a new coaster"!

I've brought up steel phantom and it's kind of the same thing. By the time they were done renovating it, it was a new coaster! Texas Giant, the same thing. Son of Beast after '06? IT was the same coaster with different trains, and -1 inversion.

I'm not sure about the "iron horse" but me personally I think the thing could work without the "Rosebowl" section. If they could remove that whole section and replace it with maybe some bunny hops, or airtime hills, I think it would help immensely! I do think just to say "hey its not Son of Beast, and we didn't just spend so many million more on fixing Son of Beast" a new name is in order. I think if they do the renovation to the GP it should be regarded completly as a new coaster and they should just stay away completly from any name that make's refference to the classic woody in the rivertown section of the park!

Take this for what you will, but Saturday 8/28 there were four or five "officials" (Idk what to call them.. the tie wearing important looking people) in the SOB queue area and some were taking pictures. people were staring and yelling at them asking what they were doing and they didn't even blink ( no surprise there). I saw this on my way to flight deck and by the time we were coming back from flight deck they were gone and you never would have known they were there. I am guessing that this may have had something to do with the Haunt everyone thinks will be there, just thought that it was an interesting tidbit!

I really wouldn't take much into account with "officials" or important looking people there. I'm sure somewhere in the company Son of Beast is being discussed, but not among anyone who deals with the public.

In otherwords, just because people are looking at it, doesn't mean anything is going to be announced about its future, nor its use as a haunt attraction. I highly doubt they'd use anything from a coaster they pretend doesn't even exist as a haunt attraction.