OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

I meant that it has held 2 world records for that long. Which is a pretty big deal.

Now take a step back and think about what you just said.

Why would SoB hold those records that long?

Is it because SoB is that grand of a coaster? Or is it because other parks don't see the big deal in breaking records?

The wooden coaster is becoming more and more rare.

Given your 10 year watermark (2000-2010), there have been 57 new wood coasters constructed. I do not consider that number to be rare by any means.

(source- rcdb.com)

As for breaking records, the overall record for tallest and fastest has been broken several times in the past 10 years.

In steel coaster catagory, this discussion has been about wood coasters.

57 New wooden coasters, and how many of them surpass SoB's speed, height, and drop? The number of new woodies may be high, but none are in SoB's class

Also, my point was that there are far more steel coasters being built than wooden, with 90 steelies having opened since 2000 compared with 57 woodies.

(http://www.rcdb.com/...=2000&ty=1&ot=2)

Edit: I am sorry. The 90 steelies was just the number of them constructed in the year 2000 alone. My search wasn't right. i apologize. The actual number of Steel coasters that have opened from 2000-2010 is 907.

57 New wooden coasters, and how many of them surpass SoB's speed, height, and drop? The number of new woodies may be high, but none are in SoB's class

You are correct, none are in SoB's class. They have not had the issues or injuries SoB has had and most are still operating- for a reason.

Also, my point was that there are far more steel coasters being built than wooden, with 90 steelies having opened since 2000 compared with 57 woodies.

Oh, and I thought this discussion was about wood coasters. Anyway, just because there are more steel coasters being constructed does not mean wood coasters are becoming rare as you previously mentioned.

Aside from that, the money that woud be invested for a SoB TG treatment could very easily be used to construct another fantasic wood coaster. That would solve your "rarity" concern.

You are correct, none are in SoB's class. They have not had the issues or injuries SoB has had and most are still operating- for a reason.

Oh, and I thought this discussion was about wood coasters. Anyway, just because there are more steel coasters being constructed does not mean wood coasters are becoming rare as you previously mentioned.

Aside from that, the money that woud be invested for a SoB TG treatment could very easily be used to construct another fantasic wood coaster. That would solve your "rarity" concern.

I will admit, SoB was built during my childhood, and was my first big coaster. I have an attachment to it. I don't want it to leave. Also, SoB was running normally on June 16th, 2009, when it was shut down. The only reason that it is currently closed is because someone called claiming that after they rode the ride on May 31, they had a blood vessel burst in their brain. Now I understand that is incredibly serious, and SoB could have been the cause, but that could happen on any roller coaster, and there was no evidence that SoB was to blame. Closing it was a precaution.

I would like to refrence an early post from Gibson. Ping, Ping, Ping, Ping...........

Cant believe this topic is going down this path again of why SoB is closed. We all know, we get it, lets move on.

That skelton isn't coming out of KI's closet until the ride can be altered enough to gurantee a better and more safe experience. The less costly options have pretty much been exhasuted so now the park waits and evaluates the future of this ride. Or they hope if they ignore it long enough their decision will be more easily made...

I will admit, SoB was built during my childhood, and was my first big coaster. I have an attachment to it. I don't want it to leave.

That is completely understandable, and unfortunate at the same time.

I had the same feeling with The Bat back in the early 80's.

Also, SoB was running normally on June 16th, 2009, when it was shut down. The only reason that it is currently closed is because someone called claiming that after they rode the ride on May 31, they had a blood vessel burst in their brain. Now I understand that is incredibly serious, and SoB could have been the cause, but that could happen on any roller coaster, and there was no evidence that SoB was to blame. Closing it was a precaution.

But it didn't happen on just any coaster. It happened on a coaster that has an extremely poor record. I don't see how all of SoB's "incidents" can be "coincidences" given the amount of coasters Worldwide.

I will admit, SoB was built during my childhood, and was my first big coaster. I have an attachment to it. I don't want it to leave.

That is completely understandable, and unfortunate at the same time.

I had the same feeling with The Bat back in the early 80's.

Also, SoB was running normally on June 16th, 2009, when it was shut down. The only reason that it is currently closed is because someone called claiming that after they rode the ride on May 31, they had a blood vessel burst in their brain. Now I understand that is incredibly serious, and SoB could have been the cause, but that could happen on any roller coaster, and there was no evidence that SoB was to blame. Closing it was a precaution.

But it didn't happen on just any coaster. It happened on a coaster that has an extremely poor record. I don't see how all of SoB's "incidents" can be "coincidences" given the amount of coasters Worldwide.

Hopefully, to me anyways, the ride is brought back safer and more enjoyable, so that everyone can enjoy it. I'll miss the original, but I'd rather have something than nothing

Guest rcfreak339

I'm going to make a prediction and say that this thread can go ahead and be changed to "OFFICIAL: Son of Beast will NEVER Re-Open!" because it won't.

I will bet 100% on that.

...I will admit, SoB was built during my childhood, and was my first big coaster. I have an attachment to it. I don't want it to leave. Also, SoB was running normally on June 16th, 2009, when it was shut down. The only reason that it is currently closed is because someone called claiming that after they rode the ride on May 31, they had a blood vessel burst in their brain. Now I understand that is incredibly serious, and SoB could have been the cause, but that could happen on any roller coaster, and there was no evidence that SoB was to blame. Closing it was a precaution.

Terpy, choosing his words very carefully:

That is not the reason Son of Beast was closed or is closed.

I will not be elaborating further on that matter.

...I will admit, SoB was built during my childhood, and was my first big coaster. I have an attachment to it. I don't want it to leave. Also, SoB was running normally on June 16th, 2009, when it was shut down. The only reason that it is currently closed is because someone called claiming that after they rode the ride on May 31, they had a blood vessel burst in their brain. Now I understand that is incredibly serious, and SoB could have been the cause, but that could happen on any roller coaster, and there was no evidence that SoB was to blame. Closing it was a precaution.

I'm sorry i was misinformed. I was just under that impression

"Scheid said he's not ready to give up on the major investment just yet. Structurally, he said the ride is sound but he is not pleased with the thrill ride's performance."

" Scheid said he has asked three engineering firms to submit proposals for a long-term fix. One firm's proposal was unsatisfactory, he said, and he is waiting for the others."

Scheid said the park hasn't talked about tearing down the ride.

"It's more of a how do we make it right," he said.

biggrin.gif

http://www.oxfordpre...son-607408.html

Old article from March but I'm not sure you have seen it.

"Scheid said he's not ready to give up on the major investment just yet. Structurally, he said the ride is sound but he is not pleased with the thrill ride's performance."

" Scheid said he has asked three engineering firms to submit proposals for a long-term fix. One firm's proposal was unsatisfactory, he said, and he is waiting for the others."

Scheid said the park hasn't talked about tearing down the ride.

"It's more of a how do we make it right," he said.

biggrin.gif

http://www.oxfordpre...son-607408.html

Old article from March but I'm not sure you have seen it.

Yes I have seen it. It's one of the most hopeful bits of info we SoB supporters have. But a lot could have changed since March...

The only reason that it is currently closed is because someone called claiming that after they rode the ride on May 31, they had a blood vessel burst in their brain.

No need to apologize. For those of us who don't have inside information, there are few other impressions we could have. Most information released to the public that I can find points to what you said. The ride was closed after the report from a rider, and remains closed because the park is not happy with its condition.

Cinci Enquirer, June 22 2009

Cinci Enquirer, Nov 14 2009

WCPO, July 27 2009

WCPO, March 16 2010

WLWT, June 24 2009

WLWT, March 19 2010

The only reason that it is currently closed is because someone called claiming that after they rode the ride on May 31, they had a blood vessel burst in their brain.

No need to apologize. For those of us who don't have inside information, there are few other impressions we could have. Most information released to the public that I can find points to what you said. The ride was closed after the report from a rider, and remains closed because the park is not happy with its condition.

Cinci Enquirer, June 22 2009

Cinci Enquirer, Nov 14 2009

WCPO, July 27 2009

WCPO, March 16 2010

WLWT, June 24 2009

WLWT, March 19 2010

thanks a lot for that. I really don't want to bring false information to these boards. I will admit though, that I'm now curious as to why it is closed...

• 2 weeks later...

I am still choosing to be optimistic that it will open for the 2011 season. Although, today I was in line for Slingshot and the operator shot a nasty rumor out that they were tearing it down to build a major coaster for KI's 40th Anniversary.

I just wonder what their timetable is here. Logically, I would think that they know by now...so much time has passed...unless they really are waiting to see what happens with the Texas Giant rehab.

Just strange...I really thought there would be some type of announcement by now. 2011 operations-planning is in full swing for all the regional parks, and plans have already been made

Hay here's a segment on Drop Zone and Son of Beast from the travel channel, back in 2001. The President of RCCA sounded like the really like Son of Beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCyeilLq_fw

Awesome Video.B) They got Drop Tower (then Zone) dead-on and really made me want to at least try Son of Beast. I do hope the ride can be "fixed", but I also hope it stays wooden. But now I wonder...does EVERYONE cry after riding Son of Beast? (The lady from Premier Rides got tears in her eyes and so did a guy who's username is Ohio1221 on youtube who did a SOB POV)

PS: Here is that POV for all SOB fans. This probably was taken in 2008, so the loop is gone and Diamondback hasn't yet been built. I have yet to find a high-quality POV of SOB when it had the loop...

Hay here's a segment on Drop Zone and Son of Beast from the travel channel, back in 2001. The President of RCCA sounded like the really like Son of Beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCyeilLq_fw

But now I wonder...does EVERYONE cry after riding Son of Beast? (The lady from Premier Rides got tears in her eyes and so did a guy who's username is Ohio1221 on youtube who did a SOB POV)

They're not necessarily crying... Their eyes are watering, the same as what might happen to folks on Top Thrill Dragster. Its just your eyes drying out and overcompensating for the extreme wind and force in your face. My eyes watered on Son of Beast every time I rode it, and my female friends often had streaks of mascara / eyeliner pulling back from their eyes when they got off. Many of my friends, too, seemed to lose the rest of their body control, laughing hysterically with slobber flying out of their mouths. It's just a very physically affective ride... Haha.

As for a POV with the loop, the very first one that comes up on Youtube when searching "Son of Beast POV" is the official Discovery Channel one. The quality isn't spectacular, but the camera is mounted to the train, so it's a good video. It's funny - even though I'd ridden it a dozen times, I still don't know the layout that well. The part after the second helix, mostly... There are a few airtime hills and headchoppers and some banked turned! If only the rest of the ride could be like that.

And this just reminds me - I don't know that I've ever seen a more beautiful or complex or intimidating moment on a roller coaster than on that second helix that's literally tucked into the lift hill... Such a great moment.

I do miss the ride. I rode SoB over and over again during Gold Pass Action Zone Thursdays. I used to take some time off on Thursday morning to ride Delirium, Drop Zone and SoB. I believe most I ever rode SoB without getting off was 10 times in 2003. Even in 2008, SoB had some long lines.....