OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

^Racer really? I don't think I can ever recall having a bad lap on Racer. A really great ride in the back of the train IMO. Mean streak deserves to be made into match sticks.

It's gotten better, but dear lord...two years ago and before it was HORRIBLE if you didn't have a middle car seat. Jackhammering until your spine crumbled. Not sure how you survived!

The red side has been fine recently. Not bad actually.

^Racer really? I don't think I can ever recall having a bad lap on Racer. A really great ride in the back of the train IMO. Mean streak deserves to be made into match sticks.

It's gotten better, but dear lord...two years ago and before it was HORRIBLE if you didn't have a middle car seat. Jackhammering until your spine crumbled. Not sure how you survived!...

For those reading along at home and relatively new to to this game, I suspect KI Man means the middle seat of a car. That row of seats is not over a wheel and has a much smoother ride.

I get very frustrated at general peeps who ask me where to ride a wooden coaster...Before they leave to go to a park without me, I very patiently explain the middle of a CAR. I even draw a diagram....and then nearly always get yelled at when they get back and complain of a very rough ride..."I rode in the middle of the train just like you told me [and when it was the old Son of Beast, especially, it was almost always the front row of the fourth car they rode in....they very seat that was known for being the most violent on the train...but it WAS near the middle of the train...the actual middle would have been the space between car 3 and car 4! Back then, I always recommended 6-2...the next to last row on the coaster...but had differing recommendations for Racer (1-3 or 5-3 for air, 1-2 or 5-2 for smoothness, 1-1 for the view and 5-1 for a great mix of fun).] And yes, it makes a HUGE difference where you sit.....5-1 on Vortex for me, please.

Terp, counting days, flags and pondering alternative futures for soon he must make a choice...or it will get made for him (and no, I will not adopt to riding Ninja at SFOG no matter how much my future life may change)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd bet my right arm that it WILL NOT operate in 2011.

Nothing (visible) is being done to change the ride. And given the comments from park management about their unhappiness with the ride experience, I think its going to take alot more than new trains (or some other out of view upgrade) to improve that experience.

To be fair, Cedar Fair did not contract to have Son of Beast built, did not approve its design and was not in any way involved in its construction (but see Mean Streak...).

I see Son of Beast as an allegory for what can happen when a company decides that getting world's records is perhaps the most important goal (or nearly the most important goal) to be achieved by a ride. (See also Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka, at FUN and SIX, respectively).

I really don't see what has happened with or to Son of Beast as primarily a Cedar Fair problem, even now...

The solution will tell us far more about Cedar Fair management than the problem has...and, like it or not, Cedar Fair now has ownership of the problem.