OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

Scooby_Doo, you and I are in the minority there. I believe only DropZone99 is the other person joining us in the pain free rides on SoB.

same with me. unless i ride it multiple times in the very last seat (which was known to happen...) i really didnt feel any pain or discomfort. I know people experience pain on it, though... many people i have ridden it with only rode it once. I did warn them, as well...

and the website doesnt list the link for the Son of Beast page, but it is still there, just not visible. see here. Im just curious as to what they put on the maps... its getting kind of ridiculous not to have a map and not know the names of 2 rides and a show and not know if SOB is on the map by this time of the year....

As always, not to nit-pick, but "The park is not even considering tearing it down. End of story." is not necessarily true. It was briefly mentioned that there have been a few ideas considered about the Son of Beast dilemma, and that tearing it down wasn't one of the alternatives considered. First of all, that may well be a lie, as was mentioned. There are certain things that those within the park's operations cannot and should not say... Saying that the ride's demolition was considered is a sort of "admission of guilt" if you will, that the park is at its wits end and is unwilling to continue working with the ride. Whether or not that's how they feel, none of us can say - but they certainly have claimed to be more optimistic than that. Is it the truth? Who knows.

Even assuming that they really have not considered tearing it down, that doesn't mean they never will. If the remaining two of three engineering firms have "unsatisfactory responses" as the first one had, the park will inevitably move on to a new alternative, one of which may be the ride's removal. Keep in mind, though, that tearing it down may well cost as much as some of the more modest fixes that may be considered, and like construction, destruction (especially of this magnitude) must be worked into the park's annual budget. Safely demolishing Son of Beast (think of how close it is to Adventure Express and Flight Deck) plus hauling and trashing the scrapped wood would be a project of unprecedented proportions... Literally.

And of course, one day, be it in months, years, decades, or centuries, Son of Beast will be removed. The same can be said for The Beast, Diamondback, Vortex, and every other ride at Kings Island.

Well, I realize that it's not necessarily true and I'm sure it's been discussed. But, based on the statement that's all that we have to go on is what I was really saying. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I'm not trying to defend the ride or anything, as much as I love it, something does need to be done and fast. However, the reason for my post was because every single time I open a SOB thread, the same negative comment from the same ney-sayers are always there. I'm glad you thought that out carefully and didn't just doom it like most.

Scooby_Doo, you and I are in the minority there. I believe only DropZone99 is the other person joining us in the pain free rides on SoB.

same with me. unless i ride it multiple times in the very last seat (which was known to happen...) i really didnt feel any pain or discomfort. I know people experience pain on it, though... many people i have ridden it with only rode it once. I did warn them, as well...

and the website doesnt list the link for the Son of Beast page, but it is still there, just not visible. see here. Im just curious as to what they put on the maps... its getting kind of ridiculous not to have a map and not know the names of 2 rides and a show and not know if SOB is on the map by this time of the year....

I'm thinking that Kings Island's management had not decided wether to put Son of Beast on the map or not... Since the management has finally decided to keep Son of Beast closed for the 2010 season, maybe the map will be out next week?

I'd heard grumblings of the management at Kings Island debating all offseason whether or not to put SOB on the map. If it's on the map and it's closed, it's still an identifiable structure, if it's not on the map and it opens then it's still hard to miss.

its getting kind of ridiculous not to have a map and not know the names of 2 rides and a show and not know if SOB is on the map by this time of the year....

Which rides and show do we not have a name for? To my knowledge, that information has been released.

Furthermore, why is it ridiculous that you can't access the park map? It's still March. Will a park map do you any good now?

Another angle is return on investment. SoB has already been a $30 million failure, and this type of change will be a practical reconstruction. Is the current ride worth it?

TG's modification is about $10 million. The ride origionally had a price tag of $5.5 million, and TG was a decent ride- at one time considered one of the best coasters. Is SoB worth another $15 million? Or can that money be used toward another ride that does not have the history SoB does?

I know I wrote this before, but can't find that post (or thread :o) - but have to agree with tggrr to a degree here.

- While the $30 million spent to date is unfortunate, it is also irrelevant to the path forward. Nothing is bringing that money back.

- The real financial question is the cost and benefit of any proposal to make SoB right versus the cost and benefit of an alternate option, which could be anything from leave SoB SBNO to replace it with a different ride to remove it and do nothing with the space.

The park obviously believes that make SoB right is a legitimate option and is soliciting proposals to do so. Whether they find an acceptable option that wins in the total cost/benefit equation is to be determined.

You can add me to that list. SOB never did cause me any issues, and I usually rode in the very back seat!! If it eventually re-opens, I'll be on it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Mr. Kinzel, tear this woodie down. Sorry, this is the 1 and only thing at KI I am truly evil about. I don't care what they invest into it. I will never ride that thing again.

I know I wrote this before, but can't find that post (or thread :o) - but have to agree with tggrr to a degree here.

- While the $30 million spent to date is unfortunate, it is also irrelevant to the path forward. Nothing is bringing that money back.

- The real financial question is the cost and benefit of any proposal to make SoB right versus the cost and benefit of an alternate option, which could be anything from leave SoB SBNO to replace it with a different ride to remove it and do nothing with the space.

The park obviously believes that make SoB right is a legitimate option and is soliciting proposals to do so. Whether they find an acceptable option that wins in the total cost/benefit equation is to be determined.

Where is that $30mil figure from? I wonder if they mean from 2000 onward or from 2006 onward. If it's just CF that's spent that amount on it... I need to go back and find that "shoving money down the drain" graphic.

You can add me to that list. SOB never did cause me any issues, and I usually rode in the very back seat!! If it eventually re-opens, I'll be on it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Mr. Kinzel, tear this woodie down. Sorry, this is the 1 and only thing at KI I am truly evil about. I don't care what they invest into it. I will never ride that thing again.

so, if on the off chance a rehab makes it the number 3 rated wooden coaster on the planet... you still wouldn't ride it?

Well If they were to announce its demise I and another member of this forum have stated we will not be renewing our passes this year. No matter how small we may be we will be making our own personal statements. So right now it's best they wait until after I purchase my season pass. But even then if they say its leaving after I buy my pass I will be going to the other parks and I will not be visiting KI and spending my money there. If that sounds childish to you I'm sorry that's just how I feel.

Quoted from the locked SoB thread - just wondering if feelings have changed now that we know SoB will be SBNO for 2010.

Well If they were to announce its demise I and another member of this forum have stated we will not be renewing our passes this year. No matter how small we may be we will be making our own personal statements. So right now it's best they wait until after I purchase my season pass. But even then if they say its leaving after I buy my pass I will be going to the other parks and I will not be visiting KI and spending my money there. If that sounds childish to you I'm sorry that's just how I feel.

Quoted from the locked SoB thread - just wondering if feelings have changed now that we know SoB will be SBNO for 2010.

How much ya wanna bet the people who said that will go back and edit their posts now? (there were more than a few IIRC)

How much ya wanna bet the people who said that will go back and edit their posts now? (there were more than a few IIRC)

I was one of those people who wanted Son of Beast to be torn down back when the ride was closed down... Then I thought that I'm a coaster enthusiast and I'm for keeping roller coasters not removing them. Son of Beast is a amazing ride beside that one rough part. The first drop sweet! After the MCBR the ride is great and the structure looks amazing. If they fixed the rose bowl and added a out and back style to it the ride will be amazing and you will stop complaining how the ride needs to be torn down it needs a fix not a ending. No offense the Son of Beast haters get on my nerves and most people who care about Son of Beast probably agree with me.

I'd heard grumblings of the management at Kings Island debating all offseason whether or not to put SOB on the map. If it's on the map and it's closed, it's still an identifiable structure, if it's not on the map and it opens then it's still hard to miss.

its getting kind of ridiculous not to have a map and not know the names of 2 rides and a show and not know if SOB is on the map by this time of the year....

Which rides and show do we not have a name for? To my knowledge, that information has been released.

Furthermore, why is it ridiculous that you can't access the park map? It's still March. Will a park map do you any good now?

They said in one of the 5@5 questions that the reason for not having the map is that they were finalizing details for a nighttime show, (rumored to be something like starlight experience) and the two rides are the SDATHC replacement, and the Spongebob 3D/Action Theater replacement. I just think its ridiculous because some people like to be able to map out where they are going beforehand. I know my way around the park, but i still like seeing changes year after year. that being said, im probably just growing impatient about the whole situation as normally the new map would be up by now...

Actually I would find it somewhat disturbing if people would go back and edit posts from 6 months ago.

And as a side note - I'm not trying to "call-out" the people who made these statements. People are absolutely allowed to change their mind (one of the few constants in life is change). I asked the question because I'm interested in understanding the current viewpoint of those that held this viewpoint last fall.

i was one of them that made that statement. I wont be buying a pass this year, however my dad bought a 4 pack for our family for Christmas, so i guess it didn't matter. I will visit the park, but not nearly as much. I just didnt feel like spending the money when my main reason for going to the park was no longer a factor.