OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

wow I'm kinda liking the idea seeing those pictures, and warming up to it with the SOB... like I said earlier yes it would be stupid for them to spend even another cent on it. But it depends on how you look at it... are they spending money to make Son of Beast better, or are they renovating it to the extent its almost a new coaster, and thus a new name comes with it too?

Look at the cost of the major new rides installed as part of the 2011 capital plan at Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point, Kings Island and Knott's Berry Farm. (parks listed in alphabetical order). Look at how much extra money was invested in order to make Cedar Point's better, faster, and taller than the other three park's versions.

Perspective.

but texas giant won't be a wooden coaster any more .

And its basically gemni, really wood with metal track.

They have to cut there losses, ( and i love the coaster) but start from scratch in the Son of Beast AREA.

Its really ashame it didn'n work out better, and all, for Son of Beast.

Experimental, non reliable coasters are not always good.

Look at the cost of the major new rides installed as part of the 2011 capital plan at Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point, Kings Island and Knott's Berry Farm. (parks listed in alphabetical order). Look at how much extra money was invested in order to make Cedar Point's better, faster, and taller than the other three park's versions.

Perspective.

If I am reading this right, then its similar to what I have been saying for a while (not just about SOB). CF will invest in the parks they own but not enough to make them look better or have bigger better rides than the home CP park.

Does anybody remember that sci-fi monster movie about that ugly dino lizzard feasting on lower Manhatten and they cornered it at the amusment park and trapped it at the roller coaster and a huge fire broke out and it was killed and the roller coaster burnt down? What if they did a remake of the movie and placed it in the SOB and have the heros ride the coaster and put it out of is pain and killed the monster at the same time? :DB):)

It's true. Texas Giant's rehab is pretty much changing the entire ride. Yes, the layout is changing in places. But also consider - new track. New elements. New forces. New trains. New angles. New pacing. New speeds.

If Son of Beast were given the "Iron Horse" treatment, and kept its original layout perfectly in-tact (minus the loop), it would still be a dramatically different ride experience. With a steeper drop comes increased energy. The new track's steel composure will absolutely alter the speed. That altered speed when experiencing even slightly-more-severely-angled pieces of track, or more steeply inclined hills, or new trains, or shortened block brakes, will make every single force & movement you experience on that ride completely different from start to finish, even in the portions of the layout that will remain unchanged.

And you say, "Well, there's no guarantee that it will even work."

Where was a guarantee that a roller coaster could safely navigate a corkscrew? could be suspended from underneath the tracks? be over 300 feet tall? engage an elevator lift? use LIMs, or hydraulics, or pneumatic pressure? It wasn't guaranteed that visitors would respond well to the first tubular steel-tracked roller coaster on Earth, but it was built anyway. And for certain, there's no guarantee that the Iron Horse re-do will do a bit of good for Texas Giant.

But steel track worked out for Matterhorn Bobsleds, so someone else had to decide to be the second owner of a steel coaster. Millennium Force seemed to go over okay, so Cedar Fair asked for a second Intamin giga. Flight of Fear ended up quite well at both of its locations, and was then cloned three times more. If Millennium had proven unpopular, or Flight of Fear been inoperable, more wouldn't have been built. There's always a first. And perhaps more importantly, there's usually a second. That second still comes with no guarantee, but there is evidence out there that it worked once, and it may work again.

If the Iron Horse re-do benefits the Texas Giant, and brings it renown as an above-average coaster, or even a top 10, more Iron Horse transitions will undoubtedly follow. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the options Cedar Fair has considered. A lot of people doubtlessly have their eyes focused on the Texas Giant, and will be closely monitoring its success once it is re-opened.

If I read Terpy's post correctly (probably not, this is pretty much just what I WANT it to say lol) it says that since Cedar Fairs rides for 4 of the 2011 park additions are relatively cheap, and Cedar Fair didn't even make Cedar Points taller or faster so it is the same price, and the extra money could be put toward a "Texas Giant" style redo of Son of Beast. That's just my wishful thinking though lol :P

He isn't suggesting that a doctor would know much about coasters, and if a certain ride is really bad.

He's saying to check with them to see if you are well enough to endure something like a coaster. Like he said earlier, it's common sense to know whether you are well to ride. But some just don't pay attention, so why couldn't a doctor tell you if you're well enough?

Perhaps you just came out of a surgery 2 months ago, maybe you've had a sore back for 2 weeks and wonder if it's safe to ride, even though your back feels fine under regular conditions.

It honestly isn't that "ignant"

An apropos video to post right now:

Many things to see, and ponder...

Thanks for the flashback. It's sad to see that just about everything about that clip shows how much better WCMH was 10 years ago. The talent, the set, the graphics, the decision to give more than 3:00 to a well written, well researched, and over-all good piece... all serve as a reminder that the place is a mess now. /off topic rant

He isn't suggesting that a doctor would know much about coasters, and if a certain ride is really bad.

He's saying to check with them to see if you are well enough to endure something like a coaster. Like he said earlier, it's common sense to know whether you are well to ride. But some just don't pay attention, so why couldn't a doctor tell you if you're well enough?

Perhaps you just came out of a surgery 2 months ago, maybe you've had a sore back for 2 weeks and wonder if it's safe to ride, even though your back feels fine under regular conditions.

It honestly isn't that "ignant"

i think this is pointed towards me, so let me clear up my post.

the field reporter did a great job telling facts (i was extra impressed that he didn't include either of the extra "the" 's that are usually placed in Son of Beast's name), i was referring to the man setting behind the desk and him giving information on how "metal" coasters are in comparison to wooden coasters. :)

Perspective.

If I am reading this right, then its similar to what I have been saying for a while (not just about SOB). CF will invest in the parks they own but not enough to make them look better or have bigger better rides than the home CP park.

All four WindSeekers have the exact same specifications and the exact same price tag of five million dollars. Cedar Point will spend "$6 million in capital improvements to the park for 2011," according to their website. The Knott's, Kings Island, and Wonderland sites, however, do not mention additional capital improvements. Additional foundation design could easily account for the "extra" million being spent at Cedar Point, or even more simply, the other parks decided not to mention additional capital expenditures.

Perhaps years past have favored Cedar Point, but 2011 does not, at least according to information released by the parks.