OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

I cannot believe people are reading this much into the name on a tombstone.

There is no ulterior motive. It is simply a prop.

What's next? Getting all excited about seeing a dirt pile?

You're right. Someone at Kings Island decided to references two wooden roller coasters from outside the chain that have undergone extensive alterations in the same style as they referenced (after years of silence and pretending it doesn't exist) Son of Beast. They just randomly chose three random roller coasters from around the globe with absolutely nothing in common (oh, except that all three are / were considered among the roughest around, and that all three were "fixed" in way way or another) and stylistically represented them in the same way that they represented Son of Beast at the same event.

As I said, it might be a wild goose chase and it may mean nothing. Even if it does mean something, there's quite a range of things it could mean (from being replaced by a steel coaster whose backstory involves being stronger than the Son of Beast, to Iron Horse track, to extensive modification of the track and ride statistics).

But don't you ever just look at your posts and go, "I really act like I know everything, don't I? Why am I such a wet blanket?" If you don't think that it means anything, say that and then leave. Your opinion, however "informed" you may think it is, is not fact. If we didn't get excited about little teasers, and hints, and props (even if they are meaningless) this would be a pretty boring place. You immediately come in pretty much laughing and ridiculing us for even considering that there's a chance that this could maybe mean something. It gets us no where, except to make people frustrated and tired of dealing with you.

Would you like us to not speculate or have fun with it until the day of an official announcement comes? Right, okay. We'll all just pretend Son of Beast doesn't exist. And we'll all just adapt your opinion that it's awful. And when new members join and stupidly say something about Son of Beast without conforming it to your opinion first, we'll berate them and laugh at how silly they are to think that the park might actually acknowledge that this ride exists and put in a few brainteasers for enthusiasts. And before anyone posts any rumors or thoughts or ideas, they'll private message you to ask if you think it's silly. And if you do, then they'll forget it and leave it behind because if you don't agree or you don't feel like having fun with it and playing around and speculating, then it's not worth any of our time either.

Sorry if the truth hurts, but, the tombstones are simply a prop. Just like the "mysterious" dirt pile that showed up. It was just a dirt pile.

Attempting to read a hidden message into a tombstone is no different than reading into a horoscope.

There is nothing wrong with speculating, as there is nothing wrong with speaking the truth. You want to believe there is some kind of hidden meaning. Go for it. I am at the other end of the spectrum saying it is simply a prop.

And what laughing or ridicule was in my post? Are you that sensitive that when a person does not agree with you, it is instant ridicule? If so, I can speculate much ridicule in your future.

I am not the type of person to "drink the Kool-Aid" which is exactly what you want. Now for the humorous angle- you claim that I act like I know everything. Well how are my posts any different than yours, with the exception that we disagree? You speculate a claim, and I disagree with it. Big deal.

I've never rode Son of Beast. By the time I got into Roller Coasters, it was long closed. I've ridden everything in the park (except SoB, if you choose to count it) and I for one, hope they re-open it, with or without changes. Those three tomb stones could very well be intended to make us all freak out and try to make something of it. Or they could be a legitimate clue. We don't know. But I've heard that the park still owns the original, heavier cars. Wouldn't it be cool if they somehow fixed its structural issues, allowing it to use the heavy cars again, and, it it would even be possible after the modifications they made, restore the loop?

I know this is all wishful thinking, but it sure would be cool to see it back in its original form. But I'll get real now, it won't happen. But a re-opening in some form is very possible.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bring this up, but i noticed two things last night at Halloween Haunt that has lead me to believe Son of Beast still has a fighting chance:

1. the signs talking about loose articles, seating arrangements, ect... are still located on the ramp. if it were being removed for sure, why wouldn't they remove those few signs? they don't even correspond to the haunt attraction.
  2. another thing i noticed is that they still have the brakes in the station, they are even using them as one of the scare tactics in the maze. if it were for sure leaving, wouldn't they have already taken all the electrical ran objects (chain lift, censers, brakes) off in order to start the deconstruction process? that would make sense to me.

sorry to bring this up, but i noticed two things last night at Halloween Haunt that has lead me to believe Son of Beast still has a fighting chance:

1. the signs talking about loose articles, seating arrangements, ect... are still located on the ramp. if it were being removed for sure, why wouldn't they remove those few signs? they don't even correspond to the haunt attraction.
  2. another thing i noticed is that they still have the brakes in the station, they are even using them as one of the scare tactics in the maze. if it were for sure leaving, wouldn't they have already taken all the electrical ran objects (chain lift, censers, brakes) off in order to start the deconstruction process? that would make sense to me.

But both of those would also be the case if the ride's fate hasn't been the decided, if the ride is going to be reopened, or if it's going to be torn down during the off-season once the public is out of earshot... That's the problem with any signs or hints at Son of Beast's future - they're just not all that significant in the long run.

Haha I also noticed the brakes popping when waiting in the queue for Wolf Pack. got me oh so overly excited. I really want this ride to live. It was a coaster that was built during my childhood, and easily my favorite ride ever since. I hate seeing it there just serving no purpose. Hopefully we will all get another ride on the SOB

So I got bored and found SoB on google earth, only to find this...

sobcarts.jpg

Apparently the carts (the newer ones), have been sitting outside the track by the former loop area since July. So I guess if it does ever reopen, they'd need either brand new or new to the park at least carts for the ride

They've been sitting there since at least the beginning of the season, if memory serves.

On another note, if you think the trains are in bad shape, imagine how the coaster itself must be. They said pieces of it would be replaced daily upon inspection, can you imagine what condition it must be in after a year and a half of (presumably) no maintenance at all? Forget how much for refurbishment, I wonder what the cost of simply getting it back in its original state would be!

^

Look at the Big Dipper and the stir it has created. Even when it has been purchased and repurchased nobody was willing to invest the capital necessary to refurbish it. SoB will eventually reach a point where to make it opperationaly will become to expensive and that is sooner than latter.

They've been sitting there since at least the beginning of the season, if memory serves.

On another note, if you think the trains are in bad shape, imagine how the coaster itself must be. They said pieces of it would be replaced daily upon inspection, can you imagine what condition it must be in after a year and a half of (presumably) no maintenance at all? Forget how much for refurbishment, I wonder what the cost of simply getting it back in its original state would be!

I'm sure its not that bad. As RailRider pointed out, eventually it will get to that point if they let it sit that long, but I doubt its in absolutely awful condition. When I photographed the abandoned Screechin' Eagle at Americana in 2007 after it had been sitting SBNO since 2002, one of the care takers there who used to work in maintenance pointed out to me that not much was needed to get it running again. A structural assessment would've needed to have taken place and I'm sure some wood would have to be fixed up, but he pointed out that the coaster had held up well. These things are designed to withstand the elements and remain standing for long periods of time.

After watching The "newer Texas Giant" go up I actually want Son of Beast to get the Iron horse treatment. If you really haven't followed the construction much here are some pics of it.

first drop

atpr11.jpg

giant_sept_1st.jpg

atpr10.jpg

That hill going into the extreme over bank is right after the first drop so that will give some insane ejector air.

tpr_3015.jpg

This diagram shows how much Texas giant's layout has changed.

tpr_27_texas_giant_refurb_demo_september_19.png

*I do not take credit for these photos*

Sorry if this was already posted.

TG was considered one of the best, if not the best, wooden coasters in it's prime, so an improvment/ rebuild of this magnitude is warrented.

Can the same be said of SoB?

Absolutely it can be said. Some may have considered the ride rough, but every wooden roller coaster is to an extent. It has been up for ten years now, and still holds 2 WORLD records (and it started with 3). I think we take that fact for granted. The ride may have its issues, but it gives a superstar to the park. I know Diamondback is great (I love the ride), but it's not setting any world records like SoB.

^to add to the point about it holding two records.

before anyone says it, Cedar Fair obviously doesn't understand that the days of record breaking are over, just look at the way that they advertise new attractions, "the tallest, fastest coaster in the mid-east," they're constantly advertising things like that.

TG was considered one of the best, if not the best, wooden coasters in it's prime, so an improvment/ rebuild of this magnitude is warrented.

Absolutely it can be said. Some may have considered the ride rough, but every wooden roller coaster is to an extent. It has been up for ten years now, and still holds 2 WORLD records (and it started with 3). I think we take that fact for granted. The ride may have its issues, but it gives a superstar to the park. I know Diamondback is great (I love the ride), but it's not setting any world records like SoB.

SoB had been standing for 10 years.

Has it been up for 10 years? No.

Does the ride have issues? That is an understatement... ;)

Holding a world record does not make a coaster enjoyable or good. There are countless coasters that have never been close to any type of record, and are absolutely fantastic coasters.

SoB had been standing for 10 years.

Has it been up for 10 years? No.

Does the ride have issues? That is an understatement... ;)

Holding a world record does not make a coaster enjoyable or good. There are countless coasters that have never been close to any type of record, and are absolutely fantastic coasters.

I didn't say that non record holding coasters were less enjoyable. Also, when I said that SoB has been up for ten years, I didn't mean in a ride-that-is-operating sense. I meant that it has held 2 world records for that long. Which is a pretty big deal. Along with The Beast, KI has something no other park in the world has. To me, that is something worth keeping

I meant that it has held 2 world records for that long. Which is a pretty big deal.

Now take a step back and think about what you just said.

Why would SoB hold those records that long?

Is it because SoB is that grand of a coaster? Or is it because other parks don't see the big deal in breaking records?

I meant that it has held 2 world records for that long. Which is a pretty big deal.

Is it because SoB is that grand of a coaster? Or is it because other parks don't see the big deal in breaking records?

The wooden coaster is becoming more and more rare. Why not want to keep a world record holder around? It's a fun ride if you like it.

As for breaking records, the overall record for tallest and fastest has been broken several times in the past 10 years.

Guest rcfreak339

Cars that sit still in the elements for so long do become worn down...and if left out very long can become unusable because they rust so much. If SoB has been sitting in the weather for almost 2 years without even a single touch of maintenance then it will become in bad shape, if SoB ever opens again it will need huge rehab.

I need to ready more, sorry Bombay beat me.

The wooden coaster is becoming more and more rare.

Given your 10 year watermark (2000-2010), there have been 57 new wood coasters constructed. I do not consider that number to be rare by any means.

(source- rcdb.com)

As for breaking records, the overall record for tallest and fastest has been broken several times in the past 10 years.

In steel coaster catagory, this discussion has been about wood coasters.