OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

Has anyone thought maybe the tombstones maybe mean that the Son of Beast is "dead" and that they are going to revamp the ride and change the name? Maybe that creature thing that was back near the track was the new "mascot"?

What Creature Thing?

I believe it was supposed to be "The Beast". Did you ride Beast during Halloween Haunt? If you did, you HAD to see it, there were bright lights on a figure that looked like.... a "Beast".

Because the coaster tracks that the figure was right next to was "The Beast", I'm guessing it was supposed to be a... well maybe..... a BEAST!!!

Of course I'm just guessing though.

I believe it was supposed to be "The Beast". Did you ride Beast during Halloween Haunt? If you did, you HAD to see it, there were bright lights on a figure that looked like.... a "Beast".

Because the coaster tracks that the figure was right next to was "The Beast", I'm guessing it was supposed to be a... well maybe..... a BEAST!!!

Could you be more specific as to what a beast looks like? It's a bit ambiguous.

When it comes to what the real Beast looks like, it has two furry claws.

And personally, I'm glad that that's all we know. If by some chance the park did release an "image" of The Beast, some people would have to be disappointed. Does it walk on two legs, or four? Is it humanoid, or more like a lion/bear? No image they could release would be "scary" enough to satisfy most. The mystery of what The Beast is is the whole point of The Beast.

I imagine that the animatronic they put on the ride for Halloween was intended to be The Beast. I didn't see it, and I'm glad I didn't.

To me, The Beast should never be more than two furry claws and yellow eyes in the forest.

• 2 weeks later...
(11/24/10) Is there a glimmer of hope for Son of Beast? Well… not for 2011, but according to an anonymous source who was at IAAPA last week, they claim to have overhead a conversation between someone from Cedar Fair and the Rocky Mountain guys about possibly doing work on Son of Beast in the future. Of course this may be every coaster fanboys dream rumor being talked about as well... so take this with a grain of salt until we hear something more serious.

http://screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

Can't believe I posted this info first

And as with anything that is posted over there, things can and do change. Lance even admitted that it may be a "dream rumor" so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I think the days of that ride (even if retracked with that new track system) are over. Why? That ride simply is not a marketable ride for the park anymore that can bring in revenue. The ROI simply is not there. And given the rides connotation with the public, some things are better laid to rest.

The "beast" creature was actually an old werewolf prop from a maze back in the FearFest days, specifically Curse of The Crypt. That particular prop has been used as a makeshift outdoor setpiece for years now, including a campfire scene next to the Festhaus and a "duet" with the cast of Phantom Theater the one year they were in Action Theater's queue line.

EDIT: Found the picture of it on KIExtreme:

IMGP0103.jpg

I remember there being two of these guys in the maze, but I don't know what happened to the other one.

Edited by RingMaster

Don't really believe it but if it is true, I will be extremely happy. Rocky mountain construction does some good work...

Imagine Son of Beast with a layout looking like this

148572_10150092758505991_65853440990_7713407_3528424_n.jpg

Rocky Mountain construction also had a 'Topper track' It replaces the top three layers of wood... Tremors at Silverwood is having 2,000 feet of track replaced.

Looks something like this

2010111717567_topper18.jpg

(No, the wheels will not hit the bolts)

15321_1417964776113_1442433471_31111700_7038474_n.jpg

This is the prob that's displayed in The Beast Woods not the "rat thing" B)

The "beast" creature was actually an old werewolf prop from a maze back in the FearFest days, specifically Curse of The Crypt. That particular prop has been used as a makeshift outdoor setpiece for years now, including a campfire scene next to the Festhaus and a "duet" with the cast of Phantom Theater the one year they were in Action Theater's queue line.

EDIT: Found the picture of it on KIExtreme:

IMGP0103.jpg

I remember there being two of these guys in the maze, but I don't know what happened to the other one.

Ever the pragmatist, a Terpy emerges a bit:

Texas Giant, pre-remake: 4920' long

Son of Beast, pre-whatever: 7032' long

Publicly released estimated cost of SFOT Texas Giant makeover:

$10 million

Predicted estimated cost of Son of Beast makeover by Rocky Mountain if same cost per foot applied:

$14.3 million*

(assumes no inflation of any cost since the SFOT agreement, and that there have been no incredible revelations during the rebuild that now reveal unanticipated economies or unforeseen costs which will be factored into future projects to the extent practicable. Although some economies of scale might otherwise be predicted on a larger project, these are to some extent outweighed, if not completely so, by the massive size and height of Son of Beast compared to Texas Giant)

Some public sources:

http://www.cdapress....12355b0948.html

http://www.sixflags....GiantTrack.aspx

And that would assume that Rocky Mountain is not already booked for certain other projects with one of its favorite large clients...who may or may not be interested in extensively rehabilitating much of the now wood coaster stock it has....

In addition, Texas Giant had a relatively exciting layout prior this project. Can the same really be said of Son of Beast?

Another update on what is looking like one of the most extreme "wooden" roller coasters imaginable down south:

sfot_11_13.jpg

3rdturn.jpg

sfot_11_6.jpg

Link.

The voice in my head just keeps saying... how?! Look at that second picture and tell me that a similarly-colored old Western favorite from up north doesn't come to mind...

I would wager that this ride will be incredible. Whether it's a fix to Son of Beast or a completely original construction, we would be extremely lucky to have an Iron Horse coaster in our park... Or so it appears thus far.

• 1 month later...

Not to revive the topic too much, but the Save Son of Beast Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Son-Of-Beast/313135991408) just posted that there is a blue tarp running down the large drop hill. Any idea what this could mean? I don't know if its true as I haven't been to the park myself, but I'm just curious. Maybe fixing it? (optimistic) or the beginning of demolition?

Not to revive the topic too much, but the Save Son of Beast Facebook Page (http://www.facebook....st/313135991408) just posted that there is a blue tarp running down the large drop hill. Any idea what this could mean? I don't know if its true as I haven't been to the park myself, but I'm just curious. Maybe fixing it? (optimistic) or the beginning of demolition?

I drive by SOB everyday there is no tarp.

To quote one Admiral:

tarp.jpg

....or is it a trap?