OFFICIAL! Son of Beast Will NOT Operate in 2010

BoddaH1994

Scooby_Doo, you and I are in the minority there. I believe only DropZone99 is the other person joining us in the pain free rides on SoB.

You can add me to that list. SOB never did cause me any issues, and I usually rode in the very back seat!! If it eventually re-opens, I'll be on it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Mr. Kinzel, tear this woodie down. Sorry, this is the 1 and only thing at KI I am truly evil about. I don't care what they invest into it. I will never ride that thing again.

so, if on the off chance a rehab makes it the number 3 rated wooden coaster on the planet... you still wouldn't ride it?

I would personally not ride the Son of Beast if it was to become the #1 rated coaster, wood or steel. But that is a personal decision. If a specific book or a specific movie is rated to be one of if not the best ever made, would you necessarily agree with that, just because it is rated to be so?

Your main reason for visiting Kings Island is Son of Beast?

There is no emoticon for what I am feeling right now.

Funny thing is, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and we were joking around about who would be the first to say they either weren't going to buy a season pass or wanted a refund on their pass because of Son of Beast. I guess we have our answer...

I'd understand if this were LeSourdsville Lake taking down the Screechin' Eagle, or Beech Bend taking out the Kentucky Rumbler but I doubt that Son of Beast, which was only open part time in the past several years, really degrades their over all product. If Son of Beast is your favorite ride, that's cool. I don't quite understand that, but I do respect that. However, Kings Island offers a heck of a lot more than just that ride. Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to appreciate some other rides, the new shows, the environment, etc.

Your main reason for visiting Kings Island is Son of Beast?

There is no emoticon for what I am feeling right now.

that is quite a silly reaction, each person has a different favorite ride at ki, while said ride may not be popular with most of us it is non the less their favorite ride.

((while Son of Beast was not my favorite i still enjoyed riding it))

Yeah... I agree with that Ryan. I will say Son of Beast is my favorite ride at KI. Am I sad it's closed? Yes. However, I've went this long without a ride and I still plan on visiting the park. The place offers so much I can't help it.

I am one of the people that LOVES Son of Beast. Of course it's rough. In 1979 The Beast was the biggest, baddest, meanest coaster ever built, it has been the measuring stick for woodies ever sense. Would you expect it's offspring to be anything other than pure insane? Seriously though, I respect the opinions of people who are upset over the 2010 status, but think about it. Is Kings Island a better park now than it was in 1979? I think the immediate response would be yes. I would agree. I would also say though, I was very upset when we lost the "big" log ride.(call it Kenton Cove if you want too, big log ride is what I was told it was) Also, think about all the other great rides that have been taken out. Zodiac, Witches wheel, Demon, King Cobra, Eagles, Taxi's, Safari, and the biggest loss in my opinion, the campground. Point is, while it sucks to lose a ride a you love, it doesn't mean that the park will be worse because of it. How crazy did it seem that under different ownership, KI is taking our Beetle, Bat, Demon, Cobra, Ghoastercoaster, all the while, Cedar Point was adding coaster after coaster. Nobody in Columbus was talking about going to KI back in those days, we all headed north. Kings Island survived, and is a great park now. I hate the idea of SoB possibly going Bye-bye. If not because I love the ride, then because I am a woodworker by trade, and looking at that structure is something that we will never see again, it is absolutely beautiful. When you go to the park this year, get lots of pictures of it, because if it does leave, one day we will all be talking about it with love, just like The Bat is revered now, and not talked about like it was when it was "sort of" operational. Enough from me, a quick summary. SoB=Good, teardown=bad, not the first ride to go, won't be the last. suck it up, and enjoy whats left.

I am one of the people that LOVES Son of Beast. Of course it's rough. In 1979 The Beast was the biggest, baddest, meanest coaster ever built, it has been the measuring stick for woodies ever sense....

I adore Kings Island, but I cannot and will not let this go.

I take it you have not heard of Harry Traver's Cyclone.

Or The Rye Aeroplane aka The Rye Airplane.

Or even The Coney Island Cyclone.

Beast: Biggest? Yes. Even still, the longest wooden ever built.

Baddest or Meanest EVER?

Uh, no.

Not then, not now, not ever.

Not meant to be.

Measuring Stick for Woodies? In some ways, yes....But Harry Traver's Cyclone has it for baddest and meanest in many, many ways...and The Coney Island Cyclone is widely considered to be the historical granddaddy of them all, though in many ways it does not deserve that status. It has it....

Funny thing is, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and we were joking around about who would be the first to say they either weren't going to buy a season pass or wanted a refund on their pass because of Son of Beast. I guess we have our answer...

Like Jackson, there's no emoticon that expresses the look on my face right now.

I don't understand the people who whine and moan about not being able to ride it. It was at the park for 9 years! If it was so important, you certainly had a chance to ride it. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the people who whine and moan about not being able to ride it. It was at the park for 9 years! If it was so important, you certainly had a chance to ride it. :rolleyes:

Well, though I don't agree with this, it's like saying "Diamondback is being removed this year. And don't even complain - you had plenty of time to ride it."

Even if Diamondback had been around for nine years, even if you road it once a week, it certainly doesn't mean you've had "enough" of it. It's just silly to say "you had your chance."

I liked Son of Beast and I am mad that it is closed, but you won't see me whining and complaining. Although Son of Beast is one of my favorite rides at Kings Island, there are tons of other great rides and attractions at the park. I would never stop going to Kings Island because of a rides removal, that's just stupid. I also will never get my fill of Son of Beast. I could ride it again and again.

I think the rosebowl will be changed. Afterall , that seems to be everybody's complaint, that and no loop. There is no need for the lifthill and drop to change. Another problem is the wait. All this is getting swept under the rug. Cmon guys , getter dunnnnn.

I am one of the people that LOVES Son of Beast. Of course it's rough. In 1979 The Beast was the biggest, baddest, meanest coaster ever built, it has been the measuring stick for woodies ever sense....

I adore Kings Island, but I cannot and will not let this go.

I take it you have not heard of Harry Traver's Cyclone.

Or The Rye Aeroplane aka The Rye Airplane.

Or even The Coney Island Cyclone.

Beast: Biggest? Yes. Even still, the longest wooden ever built.

Baddest or Meanest EVER?

Uh, no.

Not then, not now, not ever.

Not meant to be.

Measuring Stick for Woodies? In some ways, yes....But Harry Traver's Cyclone has it for baddest and meanest in many, many ways...and The Coney Island Cyclone is widely considered to be the historical granddaddy of them all, though in many ways it does not deserve that status. It has it....

I was waiting for this...As soon as I read that I thought Cyclone...

Scooby_Doo, you and I are in the minority there. I believe only DropZone99 is the other person joining us in the pain free rides on SoB.

i'm also one of the few that has pain free rides on Son of Beast.

with that said it's most likely obvious that i'm saddened about the rides closer durring the 2010 season, but hey if it means that i will get to ride it again in 2011, i'm all for it being closed one season. i just hope that if they do a major over haul they don't go the same route as texas giant. i would love for Son of Beast to be able to remain the worlds tallest and fastest "true" wooden roller coaster and not be switched to a steel hybrid coaster.

i just really hope that they can find a way other than tearing the ride down like the park is wanting to do.

*oh, terpy, i know this was a post in the first few pages of this thread, but i think you're on the non-haters side of the Son of Beast debate. smile.gif

edit: thanks terp, i went to type non-painful, but changed it to pain free because that made more sense, then forgot to go back and edit.

i'm also one of the few that has non-pain free rides on Son of Beast....

*oh, terpy, i know this was a post in the first few pages of this thread, but i think you're on the non-haters side of the Son of Beast debate. :)

Uh, a non-pain free ride would be a ride WITH pain.

I do not think that is what you meant! :)

Terp, who must remain like Switzerland in the context of this conversation...must not throw anyone for a loop! :)

Have you ever noticed that on all the news reports on SoB, they usually only show the lift hill? The one part of the ride that seems okay "to my knowledge". They never show the real problem area, which is the rosebowl. When the incident happened in 06, I actually thought that it happened on the lift.

^^ there are many reasons of why a tv station only has footage of the lift hill. The first helix is hidden from view by being "off in the back" and the second helix is hidden by the lift. So if a reporter/photog was told to "just spray some footage of the coaster" the photog will set up his tripod out front of the ride and shoot the lift. Another possibility is that the park does not want news reporters stomping around in the back filming what may be considered some sort of trade secret. Thirdly it could be the only thing the park wants shown as the other part was under construction at the time (odds are its all file footage of the ride at this point)....

I dont understand why if you dont like the pain rides that SOB gives you are a hater and if you enjoy the non-pain rides SoB gives then you are a non-hater. You all are simplifying it for no reason. I would guess no one on here wants to see a ride taken apart. But no one on here wants to see a ride cause pain either. If you are luck enough to experience a pain free ride on SoB then good for you, you are the body type the ride was made for. If you are unlucky enough to get a painful ride on SoB, Im sorry you managed to either experience what everyone is talking about or were just unlucky. I have had both. I have not had a pain free ride since the removal of the loop (take that as it is). Could we not just say haters and non-haters because you all make it sound like we are defending/accusing an actual person.... its a ride......

I will admit, I have never rode SoB. Mainly because I broke my fear of coasters at the end of the 08 season, and after hearing all the negative feedback on the ride, I have been kind of weary. I would NOT like to see SoB torn down for the fact that the ride is just an incredible sight, a manmade latticed mountain of wood. It is truly a work of engineering art. The ride also adds a lot to the skyline. If only they could get the rides to be as wonderfull as the structure, that would be great. Also, going back to my last post, i know that news stations may not have access to the views of the rosebowl, but just showing the lift IMO is giving a false impression. Another thing is that many news stations still use footage of the ride having/manuevering the loop.

I will admit, I have never rode SoB. Mainly because I broke my fear of coasters at the end of the 08 season, and after hearing all the negative feedback on the ride, I have been kind of weary. I would NOT like to see SoB torn down for the fact that the ride is just an incredible sight, a manmade latticed mountain of wood. It is truly a work of engineering art. The ride also adds a lot to the skyline. If only they could get the rides to be as wonderfull as the structure, that would be great. Also, going back to my last post, i know that news stations may not have access to the views of the rosebowl, but just showing the lift IMO is giving a false impression. Another thing is that many news stations still use footage of the ride having/manuevering the loop.

well as the news business finds ways to make more money it means less time to shoot updated file footage. And unless a park gives you footage you use what you have. In a perfect world the tv station would have the time and funds and the bodies to get updated footage for every article. However when you have a camera man who makes about what a walmart greeter makes, or just slightly more, who has a full plate of things to do with a boss who is more interested in the time deadline than story then you have a photog who will just shoot what they can do. I have been there and done that its not fun but you do what you can. If it means you can save an hour of your day by just shooting the lift hill and the station you do that. If it means you can save 2 hours of your day and run some file footage you do. And as I said with news stations cutting salaries and cutting workers there are just not enough people to shoot all that. So dont knock the news for giving you stock footage (just not the right footage) of the ride. Heck they could just give you a shoulder box....

I doubt that Son of Beast, which was only open part time in the past several years, really degrades their over all product. If Son of Beast is your favorite ride, that's cool. I don't quite understand that, but I do respect that. However, Kings Island offers a heck of a lot more than just that ride. Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to appreciate some other rides, the new shows, the environment, etc.

Agreed 100%. I am one of those that had pain on SOB, but I did give it another chance after several people told me I need to ride it in the front seat of the blue train. I tried it, and I was blown away how smooth it was in that seat. I rode it that way again, and it closed shortly afterward. I was sad to see it not running for the remainder of last season, and I missed hearing the sound of the lift, like any enthusiast would.

If they rehab it, great. I'll give it another chance. If they don't, you will only see me riding in the front. If it never reopens, see my above statement. SOB isn't the worst ride I've been on, but it's not the greatest either. KI still has my favorites: DB, Racer, Slingshot, Drop Tower, Flight of Fear, and Flight Deck to keep me happy.

And I repeat: At least it isn't DB that's closed for the season. Look on the bright side. :)