Bugs in our Teeth: Official # of Bugs Swallowed

alluna

The thread about the lighting on CP coasters got me thinking...

How many bugs have we all gotten to the face/swallowed while on a ride?

There have been a couple of occasions where the brakes kick in and I'm left sitting there doubting if the new crumb in my mouth was something lodged in my teeth or six-legged coaster popcorn (coaster corn!).

My count is probably only up to 3 verified gnats in my teeth and a few UFO's that were swallowed. :blink:

What about you?

For one of the Platinum Passholder ride nights on Magnum, there weren't many people there so they let us stay on the train for 8 consecutive rides without getting off! (And, that is my favorite steel coaster of all time, so it was amazing!) The only bad thing about it was the bugs - there were tons of them! I probably ate at least 5 of them during those 8 rides, and got pelted with probably hundreds of them - it felt like tiny needles hitting my face! (and we weren't even in the front car!) I also got some stuck in my eyes, so for about the last 4 rides, I rode it with my eyes closed!

And bugs freak me out to the extreme, but since I love Magnum so much, I didn't let them spoil my ride time! wink.gif

This just makes me think of last year's CoasterMania. We rode MF at dusk and we tried to see how many bugs we could kill with our arms, so we held them literally straight up the entire ride. Of course we kept our mouths closed... don't need the extra protein ;). But after the ride we counted the damage and I had 23 bugs on my arms, and 1 right in the middle of my forehead haha. gross. :)

If I remember correctly, I think I've only gotten bugs in my mouth one time and that was during CoasterMania! last year on my first ever ride on Mantis. I learned that if you ride it at all (I personally like the ride.) in the insect breeding season on a ride that goes over water then it probably shouldn't be in the front row.

Dvo's story reminds me of four Millie rides that I had with gigacoaster2k, DaveStroem, and his daughters last September. I was in the second row for the first ride and had my hands up throughout the entire dusk ride. I felt some stings on my arms since I had them up on one of my favorite steel coasters. For some reason, I thought the gnats would simply bounce off my arms while going 93 MPH. WRONG! When we got to the final brake run, I looked at my arms that had AT LEAST 20, maybe 25 gnats total on both arms and got a little grossed out. Dave was behind me, looked at his, my, and giga's arms, and just laughed. We then rode Millie three more times until CP closed within the hour (It was DEAD at the park that day.). I remember seeing Single Rider Bob in the station with his arms covered and having probably at least 10 to 15 gnats on his face too. After those rides, I washed my arms and face off and eventually just laughed the whole thing off. I remember MeanStreakLady even taking pictures of our faces and arms before we washed them off, though. It was good times at Cedar Point that night!

500TH POST!

My friend and I marathoned Gemeni at CP right before closing, we got 15 rides in. Many Bugs Swallowed.

We also rode TTD the next night, we were smart and sat in the second seat. When putting our hands up we could feel all the bugs hitting them. I got one in my mouth there too. Not as bad as the people in front of us didlaugh.gif

If I remember correctly, I think I've only gotten bugs in my mouth one time and that was during CoasterMania! last year on my first ever ride on Mantis. I learned that if you ride it at all (I personally like the ride.) in the insect breeding season on a ride that goes over water then it probably shouldn't be in the front row.

Dvo's story reminds me of four Millie rides that I had with gigacoaster2k, DaveStroem, and his daughters last September. I was in the second row for the first ride and had my hands up throughout the entire dusk ride. I felt some stings on my arms since I had them up on one of my favorite steel coasters. For some reason, I thought the gnats would simply bounce off my arms while going 93 MPH. WRONG! When we got to the final brake run, I looked at my arms that had AT LEAST 20, maybe 25 gnats total on both arms and got a little grossed out. Dave was behind me, looked at his, my, and giga's arms, and just laughed. We then rode Millie three more times until CP closed within the hour (It was DEAD at the park that day.). I remember seeing Single Rider Bob in the station with his arms covered and having probably at least 10 to 15 gnats on his face too. After those rides, I washed my arms and face off and eventually just laughed the whole thing off. I remember MeanStreakLady even taking pictures of our faces and arms before we washed them off, though. It was good times at Cedar Point that night!

500TH POST!

You forgot about the part where we went from MF straight to Magnum and I was flicking dead bugs off my arms at our friends on the 2009 Magnum crew while we were waiting for our train to dispatch. :lol:

In 2007, on one of my first rides on TTD, I had a bug slap me in the back of the mouth as we launched. I came off the ride gagging. I thought I was going to hurl. I've pretty much gotten used to snacking on bugs at CP.

As far as official number of bugs swallowed, I can't say. Anyone who attended CoasterMania! 2009 has indefinitely lost count of how many bugs were ingested!

I don't know exactly how many bugs I've swallowed, but it's probably a higher number than I'd like to know anyway. I do remember one episode though... I was riding Son of Beast in 2008 and when I opened my mouth to scream going down the first drop I swallowed a couple of cicadas (They were out en masse that season... especially in the SoB/Flight Deck section of Action Zone). Needless to say the rest of my day was pretty much terrible :P

Anyone who thinks the bugs are bad at KI needs to ride the front seat of Millennium Force on a midsummer night. The night Tom was talking about, MF's trains were coming back with people in the front rows spitting, gagging, and wiping their shirts. We rode in the second seat and I was picking bugs out of my eyes, off my shirt, out of my nose, out of my hair, and shaking them out of my bra. Some people will even wear a poncho to protect themselves from the unavoidable coat of bugs.. yes, it is that bad, and no, I am not exaggerating.

first of all... coaster corn? that's epic.

and I've never had the displeasure of trying coaster corn. But now I'll definitely try keeping my mouth closed as much as possible on rides! I could see this becoming a new trend. Instead of hearing screams as trains descend a hill you'll hear "mmmmmmmmmmm"

I have hit many bugs and even a few birds. The worst was when we went for my birthday with all my friends to CP. Me and my girlfriend rode front row on Maverick right before closing. We got off covered. I have never wanted to take a shower more in my life. It was pretty gross.

As for birds, it seems like I get hit by a bird everytime I go to Cedar Point. Most of the time it is while I'm walking not on a ride, but that has also happened.

My best memory is when my sister had some coaster corn on Top Gun.

It's great when you're riding along and the person next to you abruptly stops screaming...

...then starts trying to spit something out...

...and only succeeds in spitting against the wind.

Great conversations once the breaks are on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cedar Point is notorious for coatings of bugs on hot, humid nights in the summer. My worst was on MF last season, and I was coated, COATED, with bugs. And I'm not talking 20 or 25 like a few previous posters have mentioned... I'm talking 25 on each arm, even more on my body, face and head.... So bad that I covered my face with my shirt. Made for QUITE a ride experience. What was even more entertaining was the on ride photo with EVERY person covering themselves. I was in the front seat taking a lot of the hits. We literally had to go to wash off after. I sure will never forget that ride.

Dragster can be almost as bad... to the extent of them cleaning the fronts of the cars off as they came back.

Giga and I almost got hit by a sea gull while riding in the front row on Maverick one morning. I believe it was right before the first overbanked turn. It more than slightly alarmed both of us to say the least!

I remember that! One of the few times I've ever screamed on a roller coaster!

Do you remember when we were heading up Magnum's lift and I looked out to see a huge flock of seagulls around the second hill? I was sure that we were going to hit the flock. Thankfully, the train coming toward them scared them away.