Action Zone Retheme

Coney Islander

Well now, talk about coincidence! I just happened to think of that when typing up the post, and couldn`t recall hearing about any resolution to that matter.

Just for those of you who are curious (which probably equates to no one) there are 43,560 square feet in an acre. Just a random fact that I know from the world of Architecture!

While I see the marketing advantage to adding a whole slew of new attractions in one "new" area at once, I think that long-term the park would have been better served by having the new attractions spread out in different areas. I keep picturing an Adventure Village (retaining it's safari themeing) featuring a bird-themed Flight Deck, Amazon Falls, Drop Tower (perhaps tribal themed?), Face/Off (renamed Anaconda?), SoB (with a backstory about the lone survivor from Lion Country Safari, an unknown beast that chased off the other animals), and King Kobra eventually to be replaced by Tomb Raider: The Ride (how much better this would fit here...). Then, have Delirium installed where TR:TR was placed, with a sawmill theme (the disk of the ride painted as a circular blade, queue in an old mill).

If the proposed build up of Kentucky Kingdom into a "mega park" was anything like the build up of Worlds of Adventure, Kings Island didn't have a thing to worry about.

Just for those of you who are curious (which probably equates to no one) there are 43,560 square feet in an acre. Just a random fact that I know from the world of Architecture!

Your a regular Mike Brady CoastersRZ! :P

Back on the topic of a re-theme, I would much rather see a re-boot to say. If I had to see a re-theme though I would like to see kind of an old style theming, with like older cars and older model buildings. Something like from the 50's or 60's. Even go as far as to making it a decades section of the park and just include bits and pieces of each decade into the park. Give the rides around the area theming to the certain era they contain, put up a lot of props and scenery to really in-corporate the theming into the section of the park.

If Paramount still owned the park I would love to see a tribute section to all of the older Paramount movies and shows, bigger than the PAramount Story was of course. This is only a wish of mine in which I know will never ever come true.

You know I liked a movie company owning the park the best. It seems they had more money to spend and the great themes were endless. Ride promoting movie. Movie promoting ride.

And even then, not to a ridiculous extent - I doubt people rushed out to buy Drop Zone after their 300+ foot plunge. In fact, I imagine that a majority of folks didn't know it was a film until / unless they saw the poster in the Action Zone plaza. But I wanted to slip that comment in before the hawks start swooping down to prey on you for saying "It seems they had more money to spend and the great themes were endless."

Wild Animal Safari was the name in early years. The area was pretty barren with a bird show ampitheatre, gift shop, food stand, sit down eatery, and of course the Lion Country Safari Monerail. You entered by crossing a wooden bridge over a nice flowing stream that meandered through the area.

As the years progressed, the area was expanded and included animal attractions such as an aviary, elephant walk and petting zoo. Screamin Demon was added late 1970's and a series of eleaborate ponds and waterfalls dotted the landscaping. In the early 1980s, the King Cobra took the place of the elephant walk and the ponds were expanded. The stream under the entrance bridge was extended to flow under the helix of the Cobra with a water geiser that shot everytime a train passed. At this time, the park called the area the Wild Animal Habitat... mostly because of the addition of amusement attractions and additional animal attractions outside of the monerail. There were beautiful live parrotts sitting on palm trees scattered throughout the area. Eventually Amazon Falls (now congo) took the place of the Demon, but the new ride still adhered to the landscaping and theme. From about 1984 until 1990 the area was a beautiful and complimentary section to the park. It was the best this area of the park ever looked. It was very well done.

First of all, thanks for this (and many others!) interesting post.

I find this part of the park during this era fascinating. I even have purchased old GAF viewmaster reels showing this part of the park. I just can't believe that something like that was really at Kings Island.

On a side note, my parents took me to Kings Island when I was 2 in 1975 (and we rode the monorail), and I, of course, have no recollection of it. However, I always remember having dreams about a beautiful, grassy place as a kid, but I never could figure out what I was dreaming about. Fast forward to the early '90's when I made it back to KI for the first time since that first trip. I remember having this very strange feeling of deja vu. After looking at old pictures of the park, I think my dreams were of that first Kings Island trip. I think this is what has made me so interested in Kings Island as an adult. To this day when I walk around the park, I get this feeling-can't say it's happy, or excited, or what-but the only place I get it is at Kings Island. I've heard people say that we have an "inner child", and it's like somewhere deep in my brain, it "remembers" those old parts of the park that I saw as a really young child.

• 1 month later...

3. Take down Son of Beast or the Go Carts and put in a Gerstlauer named "Temple of Terror", "Pitch Black", or "Witch Doctor's Revenge"... Something that will be talked about as much as "Thir3een" or "Saw: The Ride."

If Kings Island needs an awesome idea for a roller coaster, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-INnUKEe-s&feature=related