Opening Day

GrandsonofBeast

I live about 3 1/2 hours from the park. I have a platinum pass I purchased from Cedar Point that I need to process. I would like to come down to King's Island on one of the 4 weekends before CP opens to get my coaster fix, but there are a few questions I have to try and maximize my enjoyment there.

- What are the crowds like on opening day? What are they like the weekend after opening day? two weekends after?

- Can I process my CP Voucher without issue at KI's processing center when I arrive without any problem or hassle? How long will this take?

- The gates don't open up 1 hr. early for platinum passholders for Diamondback and Beast until May 1st, does this mean it is worth it to wait the extra two weeks to come down to take advantage of these early entry?

Answers to these questions would help me greatly in determining when to come down. I plan on spending the night in a hotel on Friday night and enjoying the park all day Saturday.

Thanks!

I, too, live about four hours away, so I know all the things you're having to figure into this trip!

- What are the crowds like on opening day? What are they like the weekend after opening day? two weekends after?

Though I've never been there on opening day, I bet it depends a lot on the year / weather. Last year was pretty full due to Diamondback. This year, it will probably not be near as bad. I'm going the second weekend its open (because my birthday is that Monday...) and I'm not expecting too much of a problem. But again, that time of year I think it depends on the weather. If it's drizzling, folks figure they'll just wait til the next weekend. Also, keep in mind that Kings Island is closed on Sunday, the 18th.

- Can I process my CP Voucher without issue at KI's processing center when I arrive without any problem or hassle? How long will this take?

You shouldn't have any issues. Last year, the machines weren't recognizing passes from other parks at the processing center, so they had to type in the code manually. But there was never any doubt in my mind that they would get it to work, and everyone there was well-informed and helpful. I didn't have to speak to multiple people or anything, they just took care of it. As far as how long it will take, if you go first thing in the morning opening day, we're talking a 45 minute wait or longer. Since you'll be down there on Friday, I suggest you pop in before the pass processing ends that evening (see the pass processing schedule here) and have it processed the night before. That's what I always do - the line is non-existent, and you can even drop into the park for an hour or so and just sample some favorites. If you can't do that, you will face a line on your first morning at the park, which no one wants to wait in.

- The gates don't open up 1 hr. early for platinum passholders for Diamondback and Beast until May 1st, does this mean it is worth it to wait the extra two weeks to come down to take advantage of these early entry?

If you ask me, it's not worth it to wait. I've truly never seen the line for Diamondback extend past 30 minutes (save its first weekend last year) and it really averages more along 15 minutes every single time I've been there (which is always a weekend - I work during the week). The same can be said for The Beast. Getting in an hour early will allow you to ride them multiple multiple times in a short period, but if you're just looking to skip the line, there's really no reason. I imagine part of the reason that early entry doesn't start until May is because there won't be a significant enough crowd to justify the added man hours that early in the year... That could mean they're not really expecting a long line anyway...

Again, keep in mind that the park is closed Sunday the 18th, so if you're making a trip out of it (like I am - I also live four hours away) you might as well wait until the second or third weekend... The first weekend, it's only open Saturday. After that, it's open Friday evenings, Saturday, and Sunday... Easy pick if you ask me.

2009 opening day was pretty packed, but still totally worth it. Of course the large crowd was mainly due to Diamondback. For the first few hours wait times weren't bad, but it got pretty busy in the afternoon. So this year without there being a brand new thrill ride I would imagine opening day won't be too crowded. The newly rethemed Planet Snoopy just might attract a big crowd opening day. Again, yes, weather plays a huge role. If it's a warm, sunny day then expect atleast 30-60 min waits for most attractions. If it's cold and/or raining expect little to no wait time. But even long lines for some of the rides go quick - Diamondback, Vortex, Flight of Fear, The Beast, The Racer and BLSC all have a high hourly capacity.

I'm personally going to wait to take advantage of the early ride time. Since I can't make it opening day my options are 2nd or 3rd weekend, so it's worth it to me to wait an extra week. It's so awesome to ride Diamondback several times in a row before the park opens to the public. On a day with a 30 min ERT I can easily get 6 or 7 rides on DB including a short break or two. Could shoot for 10 if you go non stop!

hope that helps.

But even long lines for some of the rides go quick - Diamondback, Vortex, Flight of Fear, The Beast, The Racer and BLSC all have a high hourly capacity.

Ugh! I hate the line for Flight of Fear. I know it has an alright hourly capacity, but I feel the same way about it that I do about Raptor - the line is not feng shui-ed or something. It feel like it goes on for hours. Only once have I waited down the incline only to find the line actually filling up the interior queue. I suppose the wait wasn't that long, but like I said, it's just one of those lines that feels like it lasts forever. Additionally, BLSC goes pretty fast, but wait more than 15 minutes and you'll feel like it wasn't worth it. BLSC is my favorite coaster at the park after dark - the flames, the street signs lit up, etc. and it's literally a walk-on. It's an incredible experience.

I'm debating on swinging by Cedar Points processing center on a Friday (the 23rd) before the evening drive down to Kings Island. That will take care of the Platinum Pass issue. I'm thinking I will head down the 2nd weekend (23rd - 25th).

Thanks for all your help guys. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything!

I haven't been to KI in probably 10 years. Looking forward to trying out Beast, Diamondback, and Firehawk.

I'm debating on swinging by Cedar Points processing center on a Friday (the 23rd) before the evening drive down to Kings Island. That will take care of the Platinum Pass issue. I'm thinking I will head down the 2nd weekend (23rd - 25th).

Thanks for all your help guys. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything!

I haven't been to KI in probably 10 years. Looking forward to trying out Beast, Diamondback, and Firehawk.

And the Crypt! But alas, you'd have to have been to the park in the last eight years to truly appreciate - ... never mind. <_<

Opening day really wasn't crowded last year I think. Besides Diamondback I walked onto some rides like Flight deck, Adventure Express, Racers, and even Vortex and they weren't all in the morning. Other then that I would say I waited 45 minutes for a night ride on Firehawk and ten minutes for The Beast. 

I know what you mean about the FoF line going fast but seeming slow. I think it's because you're trapped in that building and can't see or hear the park around you so it's boring. I guess the first time waiting was cool, but after that the theming, though still pretty awesome, just isn't quite as interesting anymore. And omg when the ac is'nt on in there it's a miserable wait. But very worth it. I've waited in that hot building for 45 min to ride it and i'd do it again!

What are the must ride coaster and the should ride coasters? For example, at CP I would say Maverick, Millennium Force, and Dragster are must rides, and Magnum, Raptor, and Wicked Twister are should rides. Mean Streak is rough, Mantis is painful/little boring, Corkscrew is boring, Iron Dragon is boring, and Gemini isn't anything to write home about.

Let me know, so I can make sure I tackle all the best KI has to offer!

What are the must ride coaster and the should ride coasters? For example, at CP I would say Maverick, Millennium Force, and Dragster are must rides, and Magnum, Raptor, and Wicked Twister are should rides. Mean Streak is rough, Mantis is painful/little boring, Corkscrew is boring, Iron Dragon is boring, and Gemini isn't anything to write home about.

Let me know, so I can make sure I tackle all the best KI has to offer!

Diamondback, The Beast, Vortex, Flight of Fear - must ride

Invtigo,Top gun, Backlot Stunt Coaster - should

avatar, Drop Tower- if you have time after all of the above and dont want a re ride

Delirium- its a clone of MaxAir

cyrpt- its a very dull boring ride

From a coaster standpoint I would say that Diamondback, Racer, & Beast are must rides, Flight of Fear, Vortex, & Firehawk are should rides. Personally, I love Flight Deck too but since you are not a fan of Iron Dragon you may not enjoy it as much. IMO there really isn't a bad coaster ride (at least on the ones running this year) to be had at KI. Yes, you to appreciate rides like Adventure Express and Backlot (which is one of my favs) for what they are but I have never had a painful ride on any of them. Personally I have found that the back row on Vortex and the front row on Beast offer two of the best rides in the park.

I notice just how many quality coasters KI has that CP really doesn't. Don't get me wrong, CP is still king in my opinion, but we don't have a flyer (Firehawk), quality woody (Beast), quality dark ride (Flight of Fear), boomerang (Invertigo), or a coaster like Diamondback, so I'm really looking forward to KI for more than just the coaster fix.

I'll make sure I tackle those 5 while I'm out there, then follow up with others mentioned, if possible (like Vortex, Flight Deck, Top Gun, etc.).

I'll make sure I tackle those 5 while I'm out there, then follow up with others mentioned, if possible (like Vortex, Flight Deck, Top Gun, etc.).

Flight Deck and Top Gun are the same coaster. Top Gun was renamed Flight Deck a few years ago. Just didn't want you to be at the park looking for a different coaster named Top Gun! wink.gif

^ WARNING! Firehawk can be an awful line to be in, The capacity is awful we are talking 800 Per Hour. So have fun. http://visitkingsisl...l.cfm?ai_id=494

If Firehawk is running one train you are down too 400 Per hour. But... have a great time at Kings Island.

thats the main part why i left it out, Firehawk is a fun ride but its line is normally really long... make that your 1st ride of the day may be good (thats just me)

As a first time rider, I definitely think you should give the Crypt a go. It's worth it for the AC and cool theming (yes, it does have theming) alone. Just go in with low expectations, and you never know...you may find it very underrated.

(Like me! ;))

Personally I have found that the back row on Vortex and the front row on Beast offer two of the best rides in the park.

2nd last row on Vortex is the best :) and if you go for Firehawk first off and around lunch the lines not too bad. i say def Diamondback, beast, Vortex. top gun is a good little ride. slightly better than iron dragon but i love it :) i'd say normally scooby is a good indoor/non coaster ride, but i dont know whats going to be there this year.. i'm kinda thinking about hitting it first lol but if you're there the whole dy you should have no problem hitting all the coasters. and i'd honestly save beast for nightime/last ride :) i refuse to ride it during the day unless its one of the first runs

During ERT Sundays (yes I know they don't start till after opening day) we do 2-3 laps on DB then a couple on Beast (with out leaving the station) before heading over to FOF and FH. We have found that FH is often not running when the park opens to the GP but it most often is by the time we get off FOF. Next we head to Racer and AE before getting to the Action Zone area for a trip on Delirium, FD & DZ. About this time we hit the parking lot for lunch.

Must Rides-Diamondback, The Beast, The Beast at night (Yes I know I named The Beast twice but at night it turns into a completely different coaster experience), Flight of Fear, Vortex, and The Racer. I would even throw Drop Tower in there because I have found that it provides a much more thrilling experience than Power Tower's blue side at Cedar Point, and also because it is my favorite ride in the park.

Should Rides-Since you don't have a flyer at CP give Firehawk a go. It is a really cool experience to feel like our flying. Give Invertigo a whirl, and Adventure Express as well. Flight Deck in the very front seat or very back can be a quite enjoyable experience, it packs more of a punch than it seems.

Attempt To Ride At One Point-Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Crypt, Delirium, and if they are cheap, X-Treme Skyflyer and Slingshot. Also for a kids coaster give Flying Ace a whirl, it is actually a very fun coaster.

I hope you enjoy your experience at Kings Island, don't just get caught up in riding all of the rides, take a chance to look at the park and go up in the Eiffel Tower to get a good view of the park in it's entirety. For eating I would recommend Panda Express in the Festhaus as it is air conditioned and has some very good Chinese food. If Chinese isn't your taste then try the actual Festhaus menu, their food is very good as well. Most importantly don't forget to ride Drop Tower, very thrilling and fun ride. Endorsed by Drop Tower's number one fan, Jasper! :)

(A quiet dissent...under NO means eat at Panda Express...if you are even slightly prone to...how to put this...gastric distress, you may find yourself spending the rest of the day in the restroom...It's happened to both me and way too many of my friends...and it will not be happening again. I'd recommend instead Outer Hanks or Skyline...or the Backyard BBQ, though the latter is at 3 if it is like it was last year).

Am I correct in reading that early entry is now beginning for DB and Beast with the park on opening day? Meaning if I go down for April 24th and 25th I will be able to get in early with my CP platinum pass???

Yes you are correct. Early ride times for Diamondback and Beast are an hour early starting April 17.