Glasses or Contacts?

urakan

I'm one of the n00bs around here. I'm a long time reader and first time poster :)

I was wondering for those who need eye aids on what you wear to Kings Island.

I recently got glasses (I'm amazed I went 15 years without them..) and I visited King Island for the first time in about 6 years last year and I hated taking then off to ride the coasters. I'm planning on getting those daily contacts since I will be getting a season pass this year.

So, glasses or contacts?

EDIT: I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum - I'm sorry!

Welcome!! I wear contacts, but because I always wear contacts... I don't have them special for theme parks. But, I'm very glad I have them... I can recall not enjoying rides near as much (see, Tomb Raider: The Ride, Drop Zone, Son of Beast) back when I wore glasses... You spend most of your time hanging onto them! So yeah, I would say contacts.

Hi urakan, welcome to KIC! I am a newer member as well, but long-time reader! smile.gif

I have had glasses since 2nd grade, and I used to wear them on the coasters with a strap, or just take them off. It was such a pain because I couldn't fully enjoy the rides because my eyes were so blurry (I am nearly blind without them). I would definitely, totally, 100% recommend contacts over glasses any day, in my opinion. Especially for amusement parks - I have never had a problem with them on any of the rides, and I even rode TTD in the front row with them on, and they were just fine! I have Acuvue 2 and they are wonderful! (2 week disposable) – I highly recommend contacts to anybody! Such a convenience!

As I said, in my opinion contacts are much better. But when secured properly, glasses are a fine alternative to contacts, despite what some other Cedar Fair parks say... But, you'll hear more about that later, and I wouldn't want to steal his thunder...

ahoy, urakan.

I wear contacts...but I'm always terrified that the wind is going to catch them and they'll dry out and FLY out of my eyes as everything starts to move in slow motion. 'Nooooooo!'

Seriously, my eyes do get dry on the coasters so I sometimes manage to remember to bring eye drops. Other than that, I haven't had any bad experiences sans-glasses.

I will add to the contacts are better side. I wear my contacts all the time. I've had no problems on any roller coaster I've ever ridden. That being said, I have worn my glasses on many rides at Kings Island and have never had a problem there either. I choose contacts for convenience and not having to worry about losing them, but either works for me.

a. There are people who cannot wear contacts.

b. Glasses provide eye protection. Some people have been told by their physicians they are NOT to do anything without wearing glasses (well, showers are okay. I think).

c. I'd hate to take a huge bug (or cellphone) in the eye on a ride at Knott's Berry Farm, and I won't be doing so.

d. You have now heard from that guy...and yes, I do, as a matter of fact, have a serious issue with Cedar Fair's Knott's Berry Farm on this (this was never Knott's policy before Dick Kinzel had any say in how it was run...) If Mark Shapiro ran Cedar Fair, I'd make sure this issue was addressed. He doesn't. At least not yet, if ever....

a. There are people who cannot wear contacts.

b. Glasses provide eye protection. Some people have been told by their physicians they are NOT to go anything without wearing glasses (well, showers are okay. I think).

c. I'd hate to take a huge bug (or cellphone) in the eye on a ride at Knott's Berry Farm, and I won't be doing so.

d. You have now heard from that guy...and yes, I do, as a matter of fact, have a serious issue with Cedar Fair's Knott's Berry Farm on this (this was never Knott's policy before Dick Kinzel had any say in how it was run...) If Mark Shapiro ran Cedar Fair, I'd make sure this issue was addressed. He doesn't. At least not yet, if ever....

I am one of those folks who cannot wear contacts. I take mine off to go in the park-right now, its not an issue, I see well enough to get around, but to read print-forget it-and my vision changes a lot. I got my latest pair a few months ago, and am already having trouble with them. I really wish I could wear them, but at least I am not blind.

I wear contacts, because my eyes are extremely light-sensitive, and by extremely, I mean so much so I have sunglasses on anytime I am outside during daylight hours unless its very very cloudy... I mean summer thunderstorm dark cloudy. That being said, glasses would in no way afford me the light protection I need, so when Im in a park, Ive got contacts in. To combat the wind issue, I wear sunglasses on coasters, including after dark, which makes night rides on Diamondback and The Beast incredible.

ahoy, urakan.

I wear contacts...but I'm always terrified that the wind is going to catch them and they'll dry out and FLY out of my eyes as everything starts to move in slow motion. 'Nooooooo!'

Seriously, my eyes do get dry on the coasters so I sometimes manage to remember to bring eye drops. Other than that, I haven't had any bad experiences sans-glasses.

I actually have problems with dry eyes myself, and I wear contacts. On top of this, I have astigmatism issues with both my eyes, so my contacts, while secure, don't fit just right in my eyes. In spite of that, I make a point to wear my contacts (on top of almost daily wearing them) when I visit parks, and I've never lost them. Moreso, they almost never shift around on my eyes when I ride a launched coaster. The only exception to this was one- and only one- ride on Top Thrill Dragster a year or two ago. It was an exceptionally humid and warm day, and my eyes were spazzing out and spontaneously watering up when I'd rub my eyes thanks to allergies. My contacts were essentially on an ice skating rink and were being really iffy about sitting properly on my eyes, so when we launched, one slid to the side. I shut that eye till the ride was over and readjusted it when I got off. No biggie. I've never had any similar issues when my eyes were dry, either. So if it were me making this decision, I'd go with contacts just so you don't have to deal with pocketing/holding onto your glasses. But that's just me. :)

Oh, and also- welcome to the site! :D

My vision is somewhat livable without glasses and try not to wear them in the park if I can get by with it. Although, I started wearing them more last year as it was becoming a little harder to read any of the menu boards at the food stands. I have not had an issue with my glasses at the park, I just prefer not to worry about them. I have never used contacts before.

Welcome to KIC!

I've worn both contacts and glasses to parks over the years, and haven't had a problem with either one except for once. I had my glasses on Invertigo, and my lens popped out of the frames (which it tended to do from time to time). Needless to say, the lens was lost forever in the gravel pit under the ride.

I have been wearing glasses since the 8th grade and have gotten used to wearing them. I have bad eye sight and could never wear contacts. Also, there are very good looking styles of frames, unlike when I first started wearing them. Now if had to wear the birth control glasses like I had in the army, then I guess I would try wearing contacts.

Definatly contacts. I wore glasses for a couple of years before I got contacts. I usually wore a strap for my glsses and the strap helped on rides. But contacts make it a lot easier to see the ride and not to worry about what will happen if my glasses fall off. :wacko:

At some point, I may try contacts again-my left is not correctable at this point-my readers are 2.75 for that eye, and not clear. Doc asked if I ever considered surgery, but I won't until I'm blind. I dont want anyone messing with my eyes, period. Besides, I would love to be able to wear those scary contacts during haunt biggrin.gif

I wear glasses because they're a lot less trouble than contacts. I've worn them on most rides (without the dorky-looking straps :P) without any problems. Firehawk is about the only ride (besides the water rides) that I take my glasses off for, simply because you're facing the ground most of the time and I'm not sure how long my glasses would stay on that way.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of prescription sunglesses I wear with a safety strap like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/WISE-RED-Sports-strap-eyewear-glasses-safety-neck-NEW-/380226687120?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588746d090

That way I don't have to chance losing my regular glasses. I got my strap at Cedar Point though. I've even went on Vortex and didn't lose them!

DEF . contacts. just be sure to bring ur holder with the cleaner in it!

( how many posts takes does it take not to be a tourist anymore jeez) i post on here pretty often and i read psots everydayy since like when i joined last year around june

• 2 weeks later...

If I was you, I'd just ride with your glasses. I too have glasses and I honestly can't recall a ride at KI that I don't ride with my glasses on. Wait the Crypt is the only one. I've ridden everything else with the exception of Diamondback with my glasses on and not even with a strap. Just to be safe and/or if you don't have a second pair, I'd invest in one of those straps. Other than that, riding anything with your glasses should be fine.

Side note: I've also ridden Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force with my glasses on.