Cedar Point: The FUN and Only

For anyone who caught The Price is Right today (3/30/10), you saw a showcase given away that included a 3 day trip to Cedar Point. As the announcer was reading his script about the resort (surely provided by CP, since they likely gave the trip to the show), he ended by saying "Cedar Point: The Fun and Only."

We knew that KI was going to have this slogan, but it looks like other parks are using it as well. I was alright with "Ride On," but I really loved "Americas Roller Coast" (which is still featured on the CP website.

I just think it's odd that a slogan which plays on the phrase "one and only" is being used at several distinctly different parks, even though there are parks which have overlapping markets. I'm sure here in Columbus, we'll see commercials for both Cedar Point and Kings Island, both referred to as "The FUN and Only." :wacko:

I`m still surprised that Kings Island never used the slogan "Ride on" that Carowinds has used last year and this year. That still seems better than "The fun and only."

Of course, I think "fun and only" is better than "Coney has it!" Don`t even ask me the lyrics to the Coney song, because I could recite them, as they play the song after EVERY live show, and when Sunlite pool opens everyday.

I thought their system last year worked out well... the parks shared a jingle (Come away, come away, come away with me...) but added their own tagline at the end (Ride On, Where Else?, etc). That allowed each park to maintain a bit of their identity, and surely saved Cedar Fair money only having to produce one jingle. I guess making them share slogans, too, must have saved them a few more nickles.

Well, I could launch into a whole discussion about how they are trying to develop a product that is similar across all their markets at the cost of the traits that make each park unique. (Has anyone read Kenneth Frampton`s work on Critical Regionalism? This is a big item in the theory of architecture right now as many communities are loosing their sense of place because of retailers building generic buildings that match their prototype designs, and thus lack any significant ties to the local context/community.) But alas, I do not want to delve into the theory of architecture tonight.

I think it is still a missed opportunity that Cedar Fair decided to go with unifying logos when they bought the Paramount Parks, instead of creating unique identifying logos, which is what they had done with their parks prior to the PP purchase. I so would have liked to see KI`s original logo make a return as the official logo. But alas that did not happen. Who knows what the future will hold though.

I like "Ride on" and "America's (Rockin') Roller Coast." The Fun and Only definitely does not do it for me.

Then, to have that slogan at multiple parks is just rediculous. It's like having only gold medals for Olympic events... not really but it was the closest analogy I could think ofsmile.gif

It's sad, but as I can with most of CF's decisions, I see intentions that make sense and an execution that doesn't.

They've finally in the last 2 seasons or so realized that they need to appeal to families rather than just thrill seekers. Families will spend the day in the park, eat two meals, buy snacks, and load up on ride photos and suveniers before they leave. After the bigger/taller/faster push of the 90's and early 2000's, the family focus marked a decidedly different outlook on marketing.

The "Ride On" advertising was still pushed by the old bigger/taller/faster train of thought, and honestly the "Ride On" tagline didn't fit at all when tacked onto the end of last year's "Come away, come away, come away with me" commercials.

So, the marketing types up in Sandusky sat down and came up with "The FUN and Only," which of its own merits, isn't a bad slogan. Instead of looking at what parks that slogan fits best with (which I would say are probably Dorney, Wof, and VF) and working on other good, familiy oriented slogans for the other parks, they decided to take their one new idea and send it chain wide, which is a mistake.

If I were at that table, I would have suggested:

"The FUN and Only" for the smaller parks (Valleyfair!, Dorney, Worlds of Fun, GL's Wildwater Kingdom)

"Where you can" for the former Paramount Parks (playing off of, and improving, the former "Where Else?" slogan)

"America's Family Roller Coast" or something similar.

Alas, until they call and ask my advice, I can only market the parks from the comfort of my deskchair.

"Where you can" for the former Paramount Parks (playing off of, and improving, the former "Where Else?" slogan)

I don't think "Where you can" is much better than "Where else?" I'm just imagining now people saying things like "Where you can line jump" or "Where you can pay a few extra nickels for food" every time they experience one of Cedar Fair's unfortunate inconveniences.

Personally, I still like Coney`s old slogan prior to the current "Coney Has It!" slogan. It was "Coney Island, where fun is easy" But Coney didn`t have a catchy jungle or song to go along with it. And remember, Coney`s long standing, although seldom used any more, slogan is "Coney Island, America`s Finest Amusement Park." But that was back in the 50`s and 60s when Coney was the park in the state of Ohio and perhaps even the country. Remember, Walt Disney did visit Coney when he was getting ideas about Disneyland.

Don`t even ask me to break out the lyrics for the Coney Has it song!

My problem with the "Fun and only" campaign is that it just doesn`t have a nice ring to it, in my opinion. I mean, Cedar Point, America`s roller coast has a nice pop to it. So did the former "Paramount`s Kings Island: The best of Hollywood entertainment now playing" and "

Personally, I still like Coney`s old slogan prior to the current "Coney Has It!" slogan. It was "Coney Island, where fun is easy" But Coney didn`t have a catchy jungle or song to go along with it.

Don`t even ask me to break out the lyrics for the Coney Has it song!

I think it is obvious Coney did not have a jungle It is Cincinnati.

Yes I know it was a typo

• 2 weeks later...