Backlot Stunt Coaster Trains Being Stripped of Their Theming

DBru

On my second ride of BLSC on opening day none of the FX worked during the mid-ride stop. We just sat there in silence for a few seconds until the cars took off to complete the run. I know it was just a glitch, but what started out as a great must-do ride a few years ago has turned into something I now ride if the line isn't too long.

Mike B.

And notably, the large plume of fire that shoots up as you launch is also not working. The two others off to the side do ignite still, so we still have that better than Kings Dominion's and Canada's Wonderland's. <_< But just as I've said with the Crypt, the saddest part is this: When a light goes out, when an effect stops working, when a speaker shorts out - they will not be replaced. They just won't.

One effect at a time (as we've seen with the fire this year) the ride will stop working. It's just one of those things that Cedar Fair doesn't focus on, for better or worse. Sure, once in a while they decide to appease us and we get a re-invigorated effect on Adventure Express. And it's great to have it back. But the point is, every time a light shorts out on The Crypt, it's simply one less light that the ride will operate with. I'm not saying Paramount didn't operate the exact same way. Just that it's something we as a park have had to deal with for a long time, and it's sad.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my second ride of BLSC on opening day none of the FX worked during the mid-ride stop. We just sat there in silence for a few seconds until the cars took off to complete the run. I know it was just a glitch, but what started out as a great must-do ride a few years ago has turned into something I now ride if the line isn't too long.

Mike B.

And notably, the large plume of fire that shoots up as you launch is also not working. The two others off to the side do ignite still, so we still have that better than Kings Dominion's and Canada's Wonderland's. dry.gif But just as I've said with the Crypt, the saddest part is this: When a light goes out, when an effect stops working, when a speaker shorts out - they will not be replaced. They just won't.

One effect at a time (as we've seen with the fire this year) the ride will stop working. It's just one of those things that Cedar Fair doesn't focus on, for better or worse. Sure, once in a while they decide to appease us and we get a re-invigorated effect on Adventure Express. And it's great to have it back. But the point is, every time a light shorts out on The Crypt, it's simply one less light that the ride will operate with. I'm not saying Paramount didn't operate the exact same way. Just that it's something we as a park have had to deal with for a long time, and it's sad.

I completely agree with both of you. I have given some insight, some enthusiasm, and some hope towards Cedar Fair during the past few years in terms of the theming on the older rides and it is depressing to see nothing chaning. Sure, Planet Snoopy and BBoBH look great, and Diamondback's snake theming is nice, but like I mentioned before-You HAVE to take care of what you have before you do something new. You know, often times I wonder what Mr. Gary Wachs thinks of when and if he visits the park and sees what has happened to the awesome amount of theming that he had originally intended and painstakingly designed for KI? The lack of things "international" on I-street, the poor condition and lack of theme in Oktoberfest, and rides like Crypt and BLSC. The only recent time that I know of that Gary visited the park was for the walk of fame induction. (which is a run down smoking area-not much fame to thatdry.gif )

Did the stair effect ever actually work? It looks painful.

I think that there was supposed to be a subwoofer under the seats that would "rattle" for the stair effect... I think that it was installed, but I don't think that it was operational for more than a few days. I have talked to people who "think" they rode with it working, but the effect wasn't pronounced enough to really tell.

And how many people can say "look a light is burnt out, I can tell a difference from last time". I mean really that ride has how many lights on it, who is really going to notice or care?

Ride it again in five years when every light has burned out, then report back and let us know if you notice.

Lets say you're stranded on a island with five sandwiches. After eating one sandwich the first day, every thing is fine, right? I mean, you still have four sandwiches. And you might as well eat one the next day...heck, you still have three sandwiches left! You eat another the next day, and the next day, and then one more the day after that...suddenly, you're out of food, and with no one around caring to help you...you starve.

And how many people can say "look a light is burnt out, I can tell a difference from last time". I mean really that ride has how many lights on it, who is really going to notice or care?

That's pretty much my point. Take Adventure Express. Some lights burn out one year. Whatever. Then maybe the fog is cut in half and only works sometimes. No one makes a fuss. Then the next year the fog is gone. Then two years down the road, some of the statues in the finale have no lights in their eyes. No big deal, right? Then some of their arms stop working. Who cares?

Individually, these things aren't that important. Once they've accumulated, you can take a step back and say to yourself, "My God, what happened here?" You must recall that many of us are passionate about The Crypt (or, more appropriately, Tomb Raider) and Backlot Stunt Coaster the way that others are connected to Adventure Express. Everyone has a ride they honestly connect with and feel for, and when it becomes significantly reduced or ruined, it's not easy.

I have a feeling that most if not all of the folks who "like" The Crypt do so because, at least for a second, they can see Durga on the wall, or get a glimpse of the volcano... I'm fiercely protective of The Crypt because it would pain me to see that ride that it literally brimming with potential come to an end - to see the goddess torn down, or the volcano ripped apart - it would hurt. It's a good, but empty feeling to revisit a favorite ride that's been lessened in any way, and when little changes (no MINI Coopers, no flames, no music, no water, no splashdown) all accumulate, it's essentially a different ride. That's what happened to Backlot. It's still fun, but it honestly should be considered a different experience than The Italian Job (which, in reality, was a different experience than what it was originally intended to be).

It's sad, but it's how things work. Theme vs. thrill. Paramount focused on the former with hints of the latter (see, Flight of Fear, Backlot, Tomb Raider, Top Gun) while Cedar Fair admittedly focuses on thrill with hints of theme (see, Firehawk, Diamondback, Crypt '09). It's arguable that only Universal and Merlin have found the near-perfect balance of the two, and it certainly shows in their parks.

Yes but as you are failing to give credit to the fact that we just got a brand new theme in our kids area, they fixed the theming in AE. They can only do so much at one time. They can not fix everything all at the same time. Show some patience and good things will happen.

I understand your passionate about the Crypt, but crying that one light bulb is burnt out is a little extreme. Maybe that bulb just burnt out that day and they have not had the chance to replace it. That takes time to do. As long as the ride is up and running you should be happy. I am just as passionate about SoB, as was clear today, I can't even enjoy my favorite ride, but am I complaining about it, no. I have confidence that Kings Island will fix SoB, to it's fullest potential.

Please be aware, I do not actually know of a lightbulb burning out in The Crypt, and I'm certainly not crying about it... One thing that's always bothered me is that people praise Cedar Fair for replacing one (yes, one) effect on Adventure Express. Besides the fact that it took them three years to do so, they're the ones who took a majority of the effects away to begin with! In other words, they take away 10 things, we cry, then they give us back 1 and we just can't stop raving about them. I understand that many of the effects on Adventure Express went out during Paramount's years, but its the idea of it.

My point is well-evidenced - look at Backlot. The water effect stopped working. Were they fixed? No. It was simply one less effect that the ride operated with. Now one of the fire effects has stopped working. Will they fix it? Maybe. But I would happily point you to the identical ride at Canada's Wonderland (which has none - yes, none - of it's original effects) and its twin at Kings Dominion (which still has its fire effects, but they ignite after the train has launched into the tunnel). As for the music, it may be owned by Paramount, sure. But what is keeping the park from playing generic cop-chase music? Play "Bad Boys" from COPS for goodness sake. But, they don't...

I'm not saying Cedar Fair is right or wrong. Just that theme is not their thing. They do not add it to new rides, and thus do not know how to maintain it in old rides. One might question why they would chose to purchase theme parks if they do not intend to learn to integrate theme, but alas, we are Cedar Fair's Kings Island, for better or worse.

And yes, you are complaining about Son of Beast... Heavily. And if you really have confidence that it will be fixed to its fullest potential... Well... Stay tuned, kids.

Those cars are kind of fugly and generic looking. The BLSC cars I mean.

I thought that they looked pretty good considering they had to strip them of their MINI theme! Generic looking is what they were going for I do believe, but the pain job's I thought were nice.

I thought that they looked pretty good considering they had to strip them of their MINI theme! Generic looking is what they were going for I do believe, but the pain job's I thought were nice.

I agree! I'm a bit OCD though, so I like to see all one color trains. Lol! But the fact of the matter is, we've got what we've got for a reason. It's no use crying over spilled milk. If it dampers your experience that much by coming to the park and not being able to ride BLSC or CRYPT because something isn't the way you want it to be, then why come? Why constantly complain about it on KIC?

I agree! I'm a bit OCD though, so I like to see all one color trains. Lol! But the fact of the matter is, we've got what we've got for a reason. It's no use crying over spilled milk. If it dampers your experience that much by coming to the park and not being able to ride BLSC or CRYPT because something isn't the way you want it to be, then why come? Why constantly complain about it on KIC?

I wasn't complaining that it would ruin the ride for me. I'm just not used to seeing them looking like that. They are not totally a eye sore. I have a right to freedom of speech just like everybody else here. Also I haven't been constantly whining about it.

Mike B.

And notably, the large plume of fire that shoots up as you launch is also not working. The two others off to the side do ignite still, so we still have that better than Kings Dominion's and Canada's Wonderland's. <_< But just as I've said with the Crypt, the saddest part is this: When a light goes out, when an effect stops working, when a speaker shorts out - they will not be replaced. They just won't.

Idk if this is completely true. Have you ridden Flight of Fear yet this year? I can't remember completely but it seems like they added more colors to the lights in the drum. I could be wrong but it seemed a little more disorientating to me.

I kinda agree with both sides. It's not the best looking thing, but it's not bad. I think someone mentioned this before, Some light decals would do wonders for it.

Honestly anything is an improvment. And, did we really need those huge Kings Island decals across the front? Really...

I have confidence that Kings Island will fix SoB, to it's fullest potential.

Up until I read your post I have always thought of kjkjkj as KIC's biggest optimist...but I think you are giving him a run for his money! laugh.gif

(Not that there's anything wrong with that...the world is a better place with optimists.)

I kinda agree with both sides. It's not the best looking thing, but it's not bad. I think someone mentioned this before, Some light decals would do wonders for it.

Honestly anything is an improvment. And, did we really need those huge Kings Island decals across the front? Really...

2010-04-23%2019.09.01.jpg

I know it doesn't show it well, but the decals aren't that huge. Plus it's kinda customary that trains have the park name on the front.

2010-04-23%2019.09.01.jpg

I know it doesn't show it well, but the decals aren't that huge. Plus it's kinda customary that trains have the park name on the front.

Well TBH i think they still look cool........while your riding the coaster you dont see the cars so does it affect the ride? prolly not.