Postcard finds

faeriewench

By now everyone knows the passing of my grandmother 2 weeks ago. I was looking through hers and grandpa's Cedar Point things and came across a few old postcards from Coney Island. I remember posting a postcard of theirs a couple years ago here on KIC which gave a good shot of the cable cars.

Heres one of the Shooting Star

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6430/picturets.jpg

Another midway shot

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6465/picture357.jpg

I assume that wooden coaster in the distance is Shooting Star?

More to come soon..

Thanks for the info Robbie. I love how on the back of the Shooting Star postcard goes on saying basically yon won't find anything finer, taller and smoother :P

Heres another, this is the one I had posted here on KIC back in 06 I believe, but the link is outdated so I rescanned it for those who weren't around on the boards at the time

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6704/swscan00034.jpg

Wow! Thanks for posting those!

What an awesome looking place. It had to have been devastating to so many people when they found out it would close down!

It certainly was. I am still not quite over it....

Kind of makes me wonder how much ranting would have been going on if a Coney Island forum existed in 1970... Worse than the Geauga Lake forum?

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks for posting those!

What an awesome looking place. It had to have been devastating to so many people when they found out it would close down!

It certainly was. I am still not quite over it....

Neither am I, Terpie.

If you liked those photos, I highly recommend digging up a copy of the 1972 book Goodbye, Coney Island, Goodbye by Paul Ilynski, which is sort of a tribute to the park. It has some nicely done black-and-white and sepia-toned photos and reminiscent text of the days gone by. My dad has a copy of it and I never get tired of looking at it.

Although the book is out of print, it's still fairly easy to find on the web.

I agree! I am sad that I never got to experience Coney in its heyday. Coney is celebrating its 124th birthday this year. June 20th of next year will be the official 125th birthday.

Adam, I`d love to see those images of the Shooting Star some time.

Well, its still more than a year out.

At any rate, I suspect they will open the time capsule that sits in front of Moonlite Gardens. That time capsule was placed there in 1986, when Coney turned 100 years old, and it states that it is to be opened on June 20th, 2011.