History of the Island Queen, New Historical Photos on Coney Central

CoastersRZ

Check out a new history feature on Coney Island Central detailing the history of the Island Queen. River travel used to be an integral part of Coney Island. Check out the history of the main steamer and see some unique pictures of the fine vessel.

Read more here.

Also, several new historical images including many of the Island Queen, and a few showcasing items that once resided at Coney being relocated to Kings Island have been added to the historical photo gallery.

See the new images here. As always, if anyone has any historical pictures from Coney Island that they are willing to share, please let me know!

2010 season passes are now on sale for only $99.95 (ages 5 and up) now through April 1st. Junior passes (2-4 years old) are available for only $29.95. For more information on 2010 passes, and to purchase season passes, visit Coney`s season pass page here:

http://www.coneyisla...fo_purchase.php

And for those of you who have not checked out Coney Island Central`s content, I recommend you do so. The site has lots of information and great historical pictures on it.

Another great addition to Coney Island Central!

If you could use some more photos, I'm planning on reborrowing the steamer book from my grandfather. One really good picture you haven't seen shows the Island Queen under one of Cincinnati's bridges. (The bridge that is getting replaced in a few years... Anyone know its name?)

Of course I would love to see additional images! And I`m sure others would love to see additional images as well!

Well, the only bridge that is being replaced/studied for upgrades currently is the Brent Spence bridge which carries Interstate 71/75. And that bridge was built long after the Island Queen was lost in Pittsburgh. The bridge was built in 1963.

Of course I would love to see additional images! And I`m sure others would love to see additional images as well!

Well, the only bridge that is being replaced/studied for upgrades currently is the Brent Spence bridge which carries Interstate 71/75. And that bridge was built long after the Island Queen was lost in Pittsburgh. The bridge was built in 1963.

Are there any older bridges in Cincinnati? I'm almost certain the one in the picture is still there. (Either the same bridge, or a nearly identical one?)

Are there any older bridges? Why, certainly! One older than the Brooklyn Bridge and by the same designer! John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge!

Few American cities can claim a landmark as distinctive as Cincinnati's Suspension Bridge. The Covington and Cincinnati Bridge, in 1984 renamed after designer John A. Roebling, and all the while called by locals simply "The Suspension Bridge", has been a symbol of the city since its completion in December of 1866. Images of the bridge can be seen today in all parts of the city hanging in homes, offices, restaurants, bars, waiting rooms, and as backdrops for the local television news. More than just a nostalgic decoration, the old bridge remains an important river crossing for thousands of cars and buses each day....

http://www.cincinnat...suspension.html

I do am an architecture fan. Comes with the territory of the degree I received I suppose. I also am fascinated by roads. If you you haven`t checked out Cincinnati Transit.net, I highly reccomend that you do, as it offers an interesting history on Cincinnati`s bridges and free ways. While the site hasn`t been updated in a while, its still a nice read, with lots of pictures.

I do am an architecture fan. Comes with the territory of the degree I received I suppose. I also am fascinated by roads. If you you haven`t checked out Cincinnati Transit.net, I highly reccomend that you do, as it offers an interesting history on Cincinnati`s bridges and free ways. While the site hasn`t been updated in a while, its still a nice read, with lots of pictures.

If you add subway to the web-site:

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/subway.html

you can see the history and photo's of Cincinnati's Abandoned Subway.

pilotank