Kings Island New Website

Sergeant Pepper

24592_429130623367_155893938367_5333827_6217842_n.jpg

A preview of the new International Street webcam! This image was posted on the park's Facebook. That likely means we'll see the new webcam up soon! They got the idea from someone on the Facebook's discussion board about Webcams, so if someone here suggested it, nice one!

I love the history of The Crypt, it is almost exactly opposite of the truth.

One of the most popular rides at Kings Island, The Crypt opened in 2002 as Tomb Raider: The Ride. The theme for the ride was based on film Lara Croft. The name was changed to The Crypt prior to the start of the 2008 season. The ride is a favorite of park guests. The Crypt has given 4,043,911 rides since 2002, the 35th-most in park history. Its record year was 2002, when 653,223 rides were given.

24592_429130623367_155893938367_5333827_6217842_n.jpg

A preview of the new International Street webcam! This image was posted on the park's Facebook. That likely means we'll see the new webcam up soon! They got the idea from someone on the Facebook's discussion board about Webcams, so if someone here suggested it, nice one!

Well i must say i am surprized at the amount of info we have been given the past 2 weeks. This is great. Paramount had webcams back in the day.... nice addition. on that note who is that waving.

I noticed that the DB website http://www.kiDiamondback.com/ is not linked on the new DB page http://www.visitking...Diamondback.cfm

I wonder if they are going to just let that domain lease run out, or if they just have not linked it yet?

Love the new site, KI!

According to who.is, the domain doesn't expire until July of next year, so it's likely that they just haven't linked it yet.

I love the history of The Crypt, it is almost exactly opposite of the truth.

One of the most popular rides at Kings Island, The Crypt opened in 2002 as Tomb Raider: The Ride. The theme for the ride was based on film Lara Croft. The name was changed to The Crypt prior to the start of the 2008 season. The ride is a favorite of park guests. The Crypt has given 4,043,911 rides since 2002, the 35th-most in park history. Its record year was 2002, when 653,223 rides were given.

Haha that's really funny.....I doubt that the ridership is one of the most popular. Or, just like they consider half the rides 5s, it's like they consider all the rides one of the most popular.

-Bump-

Has anyone noticed the new browser banner for Kings Island? The park is actually being called a theme park, a very pleasant surprise if i do say so myself. smile.gif

What exactly do you mean by that? :blink:

I think he means that if you go to www.visitkingsisland.com, the headline bar (the blue bar at the very top of your IE window) reads "Kings Island Theme Park - The FUN and Only - Mason, OH."

-Bump-

Has anyone noticed the new browser banner for Kings Island? The park is actually being called a theme park, a very pleasant surprise if i do say so myself. smile.gif

What exactly do you mean by that? blink.gif

I think he means that if you go to www.visitkingsisland.com, the headline bar (the blue bar at the very top of your IE window) reads "Kings Island Theme Park - The FUN and Only - Mason, OH."

That's exactly what I mean WSYXnewsguy. Kings Island is being called a theme park again, only on the website though. I hope that they stop referring to the park just as an amusement park, as it always has and was always meant to be a theme park.

Whats the theme though? It's not like Disney, which is themed Disney....or Islands of Adventure, which is themed Universal pictures........

It's a themed park... different areas are themed to different things. At Disney, the theme isn't Disney, it's 1. Main St USA (turn of the Century midwestern town), 2. Fantasy (Fantasyland), 3. Frontier (Frontierland, the American west),4. Adventure (Adventureland, "exotic" locales), 5. The Future (Tomorrowland, currently a mess of Retro-Sci Fi and modern futurism), and Liberty Square (a Colonial themed area, patriotic).

At Kings Island, you have International Street (a European "showcase" with each building representing a different country), Rivertown (a turn-of-the-century settlement on the Ohio River), Coney Mall (an early 1900's trolley park), Planet Snoopy/NickU/Happy World of Hanna Barberra (the childrens' area, in each iteration allowing cartoon characters to "come alive"), Action Zone (a weak attempt at a Hollywood Stunt/Back Lot area), formerly Wild Animal Safari/Adventure Village (exotic, African buildings with lush landscape and animal encounters, animal themed attractions).

I think that calling Kings Island a "Theme Park" is a welcome change from the typical CF Amusement Park attitude. It may indicate a shift back to themed rides residing in matching themed areas.

Whats the theme though? It's not like Disney, which is themed Disney....or Islands of Adventure, which is themed Universal pictures........

The theme, however loosely, is a multi-cultural boulveard (International Street), a movie studio backlot (Action Zone), a German celebratioin (Oktoberfest), an antique amusement park (Coney Mall), an early Ohio settlement (Rivertown), an Australian beach party (Boomerang Bay), and a top-secret government facility specializing in propulsion systems (X-Base).

The notion that a theme park requires movie tie-ins is what has led to the degradation of Kings Islands theme in the past few years. Recall that, arguably, when themeing was paramount at Kings Island, a movie studio had not yet owned the park. Movie studios often have an advantage in themeing in that they have immense libraries of stories, props, and characters to draw from and (usually) unparalleled budgets with which to bring those things to life. But that means parks without the aid of a movie studio have to work twice as hard to create coherent, immerse theme. And when that kind of work goes into something, it shows.

Also keep in mind that parks that are really well-themed (notably, Universal's Islands of Adventure & Tokyo DisneySea) do not rely on films. Islands of Adventure has only one Island themed after a movie. The others draw from other sources (comics, children's books, and mythology). DisneySea is an incredible immersive environment that only makes small, tasteful references to Disney films (a small mosaic of Jasmine above a fountain down an alleyway) and could easily be de-branded if it had to be. Yet, it remains arguably the best themed park on Earth!