Rock Band Live Coming to Kings Island (Confirmed)

BoddaH1994

I will check out the lines tommorow, I have Rockband at home, im not that spectacular, and im not waiting too long to play a game I can play anytime I want.

I'm alright at it. I'm pretty sure I can beat every song on at least Hard on any instrument. I can beat pretty much every song on Expert on bass and most songs on lead guitar on Expert. If I know the song I can sing it on Expert but if I don't know it I normally don't sing it.

My XBOX360 gave me the RRoD a couple months ago so I haven't played it since. Oh well, it should be interesting.

And be careful, the lead time on getting your pass port can be several weeks.

You can pay the Extra 60 if you need it in a hurry like me I know its summer but I called the number the Lady was very nice. Going to WonderLand and Laronde in July cant wait.

From the sound of it, no photography during the show. I'm *guessing* this is because of guests being involved?

The rules are the same with every show - no 'flash' photography and no video recording.

I saw the show today and took a ton of photos. I'll upload them tomorrow.

Rock Band Live was GREAT. You ALL need to see it! It has a storyline, humor, and everything!!! I love it!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I saw the very first show and it seemed like they were having a lot of technical problems. It really seemed like it had a lot of potential. I'll be back at the park on Saturday and I'll write my review after I see a more finished product.

Not to stray off topic, but just for the record Snoopy Rocks on Ice and Down Home Country open this Saturday.

They don't have "no video recording" posted anywhere or in the spell for any other show, and it is not in the entertainment guide. Obviously it can't be too important, then...

I noticed the technical issues too (blue screens, bottom right screen appears to have been dropped at ope point) but it didn't really detract too much from the show IMO.

Alright well since I said I would give them, here are my opinions on the show.

-If you are into stage shows and theatrics and people harmonizing songs (and even the TV show Glee), then this is a good show for you.

-If you are really into the game Rock Band and can play every song on Expert or can actually play an instrument and want to get on stage... this show is not necessarily for you.

From what I gathered from the one show I saw, only grade school aged kids are going to be selected to go on stage. And even though they are up there with Rock Band instruments in their hands and they are looking at a TV screen (plugged into what looked like an XBOX 360 Elite) what the audience sees of the game play is just a video. It was kind of obvious this was the case when the kid playing drums at one point dropped his sticks but some how managed to keep a perfect 4X multiplier.

As CedarPointer said, the show does have humor. But going into it don't forget that it is just a show. The drummer from the "All Star" band hits the drums during the show but obviously not loud enough to be heard and the guitars (even though they look real) aren't plugged in to anything. Everyone on the stage but the kids from the audience are theatrical performers.

As Ryan said, there were some technical problems yesterday. I went to the 6pm show and it seemed like whenever the tour manager character walked on stage his mic was not turned on and so no one could hear him. There seemed to be other problems with mic levels but the main guitar player for the touring band sounded great and his talking voice was amazing. They also were having problem with their audition station and by the time I got there no one could play it and by the time I left for the day the Rock Band gaming stuff was taken away.

If you do really like the show, they do have a couple merchandise tents set up.

So my closing personal thoughts are if they take away the video screens that say "Rock Band Live" and show Rock Band game play then this is just like any other show you'd see at Kings Island and you wouldn't have to make the Rock Band distinction. But since it is Rock Band Live and they sing songs found on Rock Band then you may get some Rock Band fans that are disappointed that they can't showcase their Rock Band playing talents.

However, if you are a parent with a younger (grade school aged) child that enjoys Rock Band and you'd like to make their trip to Kings Island special, take them over to the audition station and see if they can't get on stage. The kids that were on stage looked like they were having a blast and after the show they got their pictures taken with the performers.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion about what Rock Band Live is all about.

They don't have "no video recording" posted anywhere or in the spell for any other show, and it is not in the entertainment guide. Obviously it can't be too important, then...

I noticed the technical issues too (blue screens, bottom right screen appears to have been dropped at ope point) but it didn't really detract too much from the show IMO.

I very distinctly remember there being an audio announcement that there is to be no video recording or flash photography because it "distracts the rockers" or something to that effect.

The standing rule under Paramount was that you could film the shows, just not in their entirety. I assumed this carried over to Cedar Fair, but maybe it didn't. I film shows all the time and no one seems to care.

As Ryan said, there were some technical problems yesterday. I went to the 6pm show and it seemed like whenever the tour manager character walked on stage his mic was not turned on and so no one could hear him. There seemed to be other problems with mic levels but the main guitar player for the touring band sounded great and his talking voice was amazing. They also were having problem with their audition station and by the time I got there no one could play it and by the time I left for the day the Rock Band gaming stuff was taken away.

That actually sounds like an improvement. At the 3:00 show, the whole mix job was a train wreck. I've seen good mix jobs and bad - but mainly good - out of Kings Island, so I'm willing to tack this up with the fact that whoever mixed the show probably didn't have a lot of time to learn it. It took a lot away from the show, which is why I'm going to reserve judgment until I see it again tomorrow.

As CedarPointer said, the show does have humor. But going into it don't forget that it is just a show. The drummer from the "All Star" band hits the drums during the show but obviously not loud enough to be heard and the guitars (even though they look real) aren't plugged in to anything. Everyone on the stage but the kids from the audience are theatrical performers.

I totally agree. When I first saw that the guitars weren't plugged in and the drummer's beat wasn't really with the song, I was kind of disappointed. I got over that quickly when I realized that the instruments were props - and were treated as such, they weren't trying to fool you into thinking that they were playing.

So my closing personal thoughts are if they take away the video screens that say "Rock Band Live" and show Rock Band game play then this is just like any other show you'd see at Kings Island and you wouldn't have to make the Rock Band distinction. But since it is Rock Band Live and they sing songs found on Rock Band then you may get some Rock Band fans that are disappointed that they can't showcase their Rock Band playing talents.

However, if you are a parent with a younger (grade school aged) child that enjoys Rock Band and you'd like to make their trip to Kings Island special, take them over to the audition station and see if they can't get on stage. The kids that were on stage looked like they were having a blast and after the show they got their pictures taken with the performers.

I want to both agree and disagree with you on this one. Don't forget that there's that pod set up to play Rock Band, so I guess you could be showing off your mad shredding skills there. Plus, I'm willing to go as far as saying that Rock Band has about as much to do with the Rock Band Live show as Charlie Brown has to do with Charlie Brown's Hoedown... as in, they're pretty much just present. The only way I could think of that could honestly integrate the Rock Band game into the live show would be to have some sort of game show-style show... and I don't see that going too well.

I did not really like it that much. Like you said, they were not even playing, and they didnt pick the people with the highest scores. I did not think that the music choices were that great either.

I very distinctly remember there being an audio announcement that there is to be no video recording or flash photography because it "distracts the rockers" or something to that effect.

Yeah, I know, which is why I said "any other show", as in any other show that I've seen at the park besides Rock Band Live. If Cedar Fair does still have that rule for other shows, they certainly don't try to let anyone know about it. I've looked everywhere I can think of, and I can't find any particular rule for recording.

I got to see the show last night and in my opinion, it's one of the best shows in years (and I've been going to see shows since they opened). With a background in theatre I'm usually very critical of the shows. Celebration was and will always be the best show ever produced for the park (I still have the vinyl album signed by the cast).

Back to RBL. From the story to the "audience band members" participation to the music choices they did an excellent job. You can tell they took their time. Combining songs was the most impressive and effective. The show had me doubled over with laughter. The costumes are straight out of rock band and the feel of the show is spot on. It's a shame it will be here for such a short time. This is one I would see over and over again and would have good staying power especially with the participation of the audience.

I have 3 comments about the show.

First, this show should have been done indoors. The 9pm show was cancelled due to weather. I also think they could have used the projection screen(s) as opposed to the 6 tv's (I understand they did this to have the ability to transport the show to different parks). Indoors would have also helped the fog and the lights for the show. Mostly it would have helped to NOT HEAR OTHER SHOWS. Hearing Don't Stop The Music was VERY distracting.

Second, the choices for the last songs aren't exactly my idea of good ones to end a "rock" show considering neither of them are actually good "rockers" (Don't stop believin and Life is a highway REALLY?? :)) I'm sure with the set lists of both Rock Bands they could have found better songs.

Third the sound was not balanced at ALL. The Lead singer's balance had way too much treble (in my opinion). The voices also sometimes blended in with the music. The singers are VERY talented and were top notch. I just felt the overall balance was abit off. I also though it could have been louder (this IS rock band afterall.) It's not enough to make the show bad. It was just an observation (indoors would have had better control of the audio as well.)

Again I'm very impressed with the show. The costumes, dancing, acting, script and the idea are all original and extremely enjoyable. Hats off to the cast and crew of this amazing show. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Todd

I saw Rock Band Live yesterday at the 4:30pm show

I'm not a fan of the game but thought I would check the show out.

The problem with most of KI's shows is how they are all based on singing song hook covers back to back with little or no script and acting dialog, and no interaction with the audience as a whole. Rock Band Live was far better than this!

Unlike all of those singing shows where they jump from song hook to song hook till they are finished, this show was a real show and it had it all..... real scripts, real acting, and full audience interaction.

Actors = Perfect

Singers = Perfect

Costumes = Perfect

So what was the show about? Well, it's about a band that is fixated on their image more than their music. Then it becomes two bands competing. And... two members of the rival bands fall in love, but this is all I'll say because I don't want to spoil the details or how it ends.

If you don't see this show before it leaves, you'll regret it, so go and see it NOW!!! It may be the best show at KI this summer!

I didn't care about the game at all, but the game was set up outside the show away from the show for those wanting to play the game.

They had a booth set up selling shirts and other stuff also.

This show can be good and can be awful. RBL is an all summer show at Cedar Point and the audiance band members are the key to a good show. Two shows were awful (almost walked out) but the last show of the night had some terrific auidance band members that had everyone on thier feet for almost the entire 35 min show.

But better yet, why not ditch the fake guitars and bring back real guitar rockers like were in school of rock? I miss the live musicians at King's Island. It would be nice to bring back "live" musicians rather than all these "props" the singers carry around.

Today, Kings Island tweeted as a celebration of Rock Band Live:

Text KIROCK to 74674 for chance to win Riverbend concert tix to KISS, Aerosmith or Creed. Winner selected after 4:30pm Rock Band Live show.

I did so, and recieved a confirmation text saying I was entered into the drawing. Then, a few hours later, received another text saying: "You're a winner. A rep will call to tell you what you've won!"

Praying it's not a scam, and also praying I didn't win Creed tickets... Wahoo!

• Like 1

I entered on Friday and on our way home from the park I received a msg saying that I was the grand prize winner for the day and that a rep would be calling me.

I never get lucky and thought yeah right....well they called me yesterday and I was expecting concert tickets, but they said I won a guitar signed by everyone in Saving Able.

Thank you KI!

Someone should contact the park about this and learn if this is real or not...

It is odd to me that all these people who won were KICers..

Well those who are not KICers do not have an account on KIC with which to announce their winnings... Plus, how many non-enthusiasts would bother to respond to something on Kings Island's Twitter... Just saying.

• Like 1