Heinz Out, Red Gold In At Cedar Fair Parks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work for Heinz. I am a ketchup lover and I know the difference between Heinz and others. Will this change stop me from buying fies at the parks? No, but I might smuggle in my own bottle of the red sauce - or a ton of those little packets!

I can only imagine the terms of this deal. Suffice it to say that probably everyone involved wins, except the poor people who paid four bucks or so for fries and expected them to come with the splendid product that is Heinz Ketchup, compared to all the others. Red Gold? Yeah, right. I'd rather have Kroger brand. Honest.

I've noticed several restaurants around me going to bottles of Red Gold ketchup on the tables. I actually can't remember the last time I saw a bottle of Heinz on a restaurant's table. Even Steak n' Shake has gone to generic red refillable squeeze bottles.

Yeah, but how many people can really be that hard up on ketchup? If they changed their pizza supplier... I could see people noticing... if they changed their soft drop supplier (Coke/Pepsi) I could see a handful of people noticing... but ketchup? Really?

Like I said - I worked at Heinz and they did lots of testing on their product to be sure it didn't lose it's taste when applied to hot stuff, like fries. I'm sure other companies do that too, but I have found that only Heinz ketchup keeps its flavor on hot fries. Hunts - well, not even close. It gets sour.

I could really care less. I do think it is funny that you all are about to cry about Heinz takeing the boot. Is it really that bad... If the GP starting crying over ketchup, then I think I'll have a break down right then and there. And if the GP are not going to order fries because of the ketchup... Then I say "good" they probably don't need it anyways; America is FAT as is. :rolleyes: "End Rant"

I could really care less. I do think it is funny that you all are about to cry about Heinz takeing the boot. Is it really that bad... If the GP starting crying over ketchup, then I think I'll have a break down right then and there. And if the GP are not going to order fries because of the ketchup... Then I say "good" they probably don't need it anyways; America is FAT as is. :rolleyes: "End Rant"

Good! You do care some, since you could care less than you do.

Thank you for your support!

Terpy, who just HAD to (and who is trying to catchup...Lettuce try)

I am disappointed in this decision, Heinz is by far the best ketchup. For all you who just think ketchup is ketchup, you are wrong, the ketchup makes the fries. I am finicky about my condiments, I can even tell the difference between Stadium and Ballpark mustard.

My wife bought another brand of ketchup other than Heinz- once.

I made her promise me that she would never do that again. smile.gif

There are just a few things that you have to get a name brand for:

Heinz Ketchup

Hellman's Mayo

Any name brand toilet paper

Campbell's tomato soup

Smucker's jelly

Red Gold must have given CF a sweet deal to make the change. I doubt it will effect food sales though. When someone wants a hot dog or fries, I have never heard the order start out with "What kind of ketchup do you have?"

I worked at Information Resources, the leading package goods market research firm, and brand loyality is well known. When it comes to name brand products, consumers will always choose certain brands even if the price increases. There are certain brands that I will always choose over local or the "other" brand. Heinz is always my choice for ketcup. It has more flavor and is thicker over the other brand. It is the same for Coke, Skippy peanut butter, and Kraft Mayo to just name a few. Places like Cedar Fair, fast food restruants I am sure conduct product research in test markets and focus groups to gage the public's acceptance to brand changes. They combine that with surveys, both blind, mail and phone surveys to see if they will change their preferences. But I would venture that just because CF chooses change their ketchup providers will not see their attendence drop for that reason. Now if they change their soft drink vendors it will only come after countless surveys and what is in the contracts Cedar Fair has between the vendors and the location of their parks and how strong the brands are with the public. But I would only be speculate about brand choices and I will not do that. If they do change, that is of no concern to me.