Heinz Out, Red Gold In At Cedar Fair Parks

Ketchup? Are you people serious? I haven't had ketchup on my fries since I was a wee one. There is only one way to eat fries, and that is with mustard, chili, onions, cheese, and some hot sauce for good measure. If no chili is around, then just mustard (dark hot mustard). Ketchup is over rated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked at Information Resources, the leading package goods market research firm, and brand loyality is well known. When it comes to name brand products, consumers will always choose certain brands even if the price increases. There are certain brands that I will always choose over local or the "other" brand. Heinz is always my choice for ketcup. It has more flavor and is thicker over the other brand. It is the same for Coke, Skippy peanut butter, and Kraft Mayo to just name a few. Places like Cedar Fair, fast food restruants I am sure conduct product research in test markets and focus groups to gage the public's acceptance to brand changes. They combine that with surveys, both blind, mail and phone surveys to see if they will change their preferences. But I would venture that just because CF chooses change their ketchup providers will not see their attendence drop for that reason. Now if they change their soft drink vendors it will only come after countless surveys and what is in the contracts Cedar Fair has between the vendors and the location of their parks and how strong the brands are with the public. But I would only be speculate about brand choices and I will not do that. If they do change, that is of no concern to me.

That is all usually true when the buyer has other choices. When "sponsorship" to a captive audience (buyers already INSIDE a theme park) is involved, there is one major factor that trumps almost all others...and that would be nickels...many, many, many of them.

That being said, even cola choices at fast food restaurants are normally decided by the money factor as opposed to customer preference.

That being said, even cola choices at fast food restaurants are normally decided by the money factor as opposed to customer preference.

Am I the only one who remembers Subway conveniently deciding to offer only Coca-Cola products right around the time that all of their restaurants were retro-fitted with ovens to mimic the growing trend that was Quizno's...? And wasn't it days later that Quizno's conveniently set up a deal with Pepsi?

And that's not even close to the only example of such behavior in the past decade.

Am I the only one who remembers Subway conveniently deciding to offer only Coca-Cola products right around the time that all of their restaurants were retro-fitted with ovens to mimic the growing trend that was Quizno's...? And wasn't it days later that Quizno's conveniently set up a deal with Pepsi?

And that's not even close to the only example of such behavior in the past decade.

I remember that as well...

Applebee's also switched quietly from Coke to Pepsi a few years ago (despite my objections).

For those of you who are laughing at the reaction - think hard about the products you use on a daily basis and I bet you'll find a few you wouldn't trade for a "lower quality" brand, store brand, or generic. For many of us, it's a good thing that people are loyal users of a specific shampoo, deodorant, paper towel, bottled water, peanut butter, beer, potato chip, toothpaste, detergent, etc... (including ketchup). You can also add in things like car manufacturers, gas stations, grocery/home improvement stores, clothing/shoes, and even websites.

I, for one, and very glad to see that Brand loyalty is alive and well :D

Wow... I never realized there were so many ketchup connoisseurs out there... or that there even was such a thing as a ketchup connoisseur! I'm almost afraid to admit that to me, ketchup is ketchup. It's just something I occasionally put on fries, and not much else. No brand loyalty for me.

I can't think of any one brand of any product that I'm 100% loyal to. I have preferences in brands, but nothing I absolutely have to have every time. I used to be 100% loyal to Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce, it was the only one I would buy for a long time. But that changed as I started trying other sauces from restaurants down south... there are some yummy ones out there!

Interesting tidbit related to this... As of this past Saturday (the 17th), packets of Heinz ketchup were still available at the Skyline on International Street. I'm wondering if this is because Skyline has a say in which ketchup is used at their restaurants (just like they have a say in which cheese, hot dogs, etc. are used regardless of what's used elsewhere in the park).

Interesting tidbit related to this... As of this past Saturday (the 17th), packets of Heinz ketchup were still available at the Skyline on International Street. I'm wondering if this is because Skyline has a say in which ketchup is used at their restaurants (just like they have a say in which cheese, hot dogs, etc. are used regardless of what's used elsewhere in the park).

I would say that you hit the nail on the head.

Even though Skyline is owned and located in KI, the park still has to follow franchise rules/ contracts.

Chick-fil-a at CP is closed on Sundays per the franchise specs and TGI Fridays in HB at CP has to follow all the NUMEROUS franchise rules.

^You think someone would have noticed by now and changed the computer.

As for the ketchup, that is an interesting find. Not all resturaunt rules apply in an amusement park setting, look at the soft drink situation. If a chain opens up in park the normally have to honor the parks beverage of choice. An example of this was GL in the 1990's, as there was a Pizza Hut, KFC, and Taco Bell in the park that served Coke because that was the parks contract. My theory is that they still had some Heinz that they were getting rid off before moving to the inferior product.

Unrelated, but this made me think about somthing I saw opening day. Juke Box Diner's reciepts still say Happydays Diner.

^You think someone would have noticed by now and changed the computer.

A majority of, if not all of, the pay phones in the park still say 'Welcome to Paramount King's Island.' :blink:

Anyway, I rarely eat fries there anymore, so ketchup at the park means nothing to me. But, I wonder how many people will actually get upset if they realize Heinz is no longer at the park.

I talked to a higher-up in foods yesterday and asked him what peoples' reaction to the Red Gold switch was. He said the reaction has been positive.

Don't forget that Red Gold supplies the ketchup for most restaurants, so it's unlikely that you or anyone else has never eaten Red Gold.

I actually see Heinz in a lot of restaurants. Steak `N Shake comes immediately to mind. I don`t know if I`ve ever actually seen Red gold in a container at a restaurant. All I`ve seen is Red Gold in the packets.

And I think it is worth mentioning that Coney has been serving up Red Gold for as long as I`ve worked there, and that dates back to the 2002 season.

I also feel that I see more Heinz than Red Gold. This change isn't too big of a deal for me. I will say though that if eaten right after each other (for example I had Heinz ketchup packets from Arby's took my food home, was eating my fries with the Heinz, needed more ketchup and had Red Gold at my house. HUGE step down.) But when eaten alone I don't find it bad at all.

interstingly enough, i was on break today, and when i went to get ketchup, i saw the basket filled with Heinz, adn then a few packets of red gold. haha i thought that was kind of intersting. :lol:

Maybe they are still using up old ketchup from last season?