Kings Island - Photos of Things Now Gone

selective

A little park history, told in old photographs

Hey, I had to scan these, they were not digital... hahaha

I hope you enjoy these..... Amazingly enough, I found a pic of the Smurf's Enchanted Voyage. I had others but they vanished.

Take your time looking at these, and enjoy.

34e3wvo.jpg

Kings Island - King Cobra

(Skylab can be seen next to Adventure Express)

66xlcw.jpg

53wqk2.jpg

I did ride this several times, and most people complained of the ride being too jerky and causing them to rattle their head on the restraints. Even though it was the first stand-up coaster to do a loop, it was simply to small and too short of a ride so I was glad to see it go. I wouldn't mind a bigger, longer, and better stand up in the future though.

169ka5y.jpg

5mgwp5.jpg

2hmmwcy.jpg

----------------------------------------------

2lk35lu.jpg

Kings Island - Monorail - Wildlife Preserve

Note: The Lions were too far away to get a pic of them, so I never tried.

zxm9tg.jpg

dcbspw.jpg

w9b7zd.jpg

2hd63k4.jpg

b6doud.jpg

2a21w9.jpg

There were many reasons why they got rid of the animals, and I agree with all of them. However, I think most will agree with me that the monorail didn't have to go, it could have been used for parking lot transportation or to replace the train that takes people to Boomerang Bay.

1zexg0m.jpg

Kings Island - Coney Mall - Flying Eagles

These I never tried but just by watching people and hearing what people said after riding, they were very difficult to control and not much fun. It looks like other parks that have this ride have a better design for flight, being smaller, longer, and lighter. The design in this picture shows the wing design isn't long enough and the cart overall looks too heavy.

xndhmr.jpg

Kings Island - Coney Mall - Flight Commander

2afn5ug.jpg

This ride I never tried either. Here's how it worked. You get in, it lifts up and travels in a slow cirlce (not that fast at all), then you have a joystick to make yourself go higher or lower, roll to the right or left in a full circle (stopping while upside down if you want), but the draw back was you were always traveling forward in the same circle and always at the same speed.

I was in the park the day this got shut down. I never leave the park early, NEVER, but I got a really bad feeling this day and left around 4pm, I'm glad I did.

29vn2g.jpg

Kings Island - Antique Car Ride

z4jv4.jpg

These were cool and fun, but they did use gas and have to be fixed like real cars with engine problems. I remember always seeing a line of broken down cars they kept off the road that were in need of repair, and while driving these you could smell the gas.

1zbzcls.jpg

Just imagine living in the 1920's! Would you have ever imagined a real car from your time period would be used as a ride where kids can drive? These are real cars, but they felt more like golf carts. Simply a moment captured in time, and will never be forgotten.

2mev9g1.jpg

Kings Island - Hanna Barbera Land - Flinstones Ride - Boulder Bumpers

2rc7n2s.jpg

wbw010.jpg

Kings Island - Hanna Barbera Land - Jetsons' Ride - Jetsons' Spaceport

abifys.jpg

mtmjbm.jpg

Kings Island - Hanna Barbera Land - Smurfs Ride - Smurfs Enchanted Voyage

This was the winter set up they had for Christmas.

Later it became this...

bezus1.jpg

Kings Island - Phantom Theater

2lvekjk.jpg

21l4q2t.jpg

651jyg.jpg

2m34v0g.jpg

2vrzgxe.jpg

This rabbit head looked cool in the dark with glowing red eyes.

256tj4y.jpg

2z7fkhc.jpg

The evil mouse bear would move up and down, and it looked and sounded really cool.

1fa03s.jpg

A heater blew hot heat on you here, so most would ride this ride after a water ride to get a blast of heat on them. It was too quick though for drying off.

2mjq7c.jpg

1xynf8.jpg

Kings Island - Water Works (now known as Boomerang Bay)

bi2kye.jpg

This was the first year it opened, and there was nothing on the other side of this hill to the right, so park guests would sneak to the other side of the hill to make out.

Well, these are all the pics I could find of things that are now gone, from the old days. Hahaha, I'm not that old, trust me. Feel free to copy these pics, I uploaded them so they can be used. I would like to see the monorail pics in the KIC photo album. (I can upload higher quality photo scans if you want them, just ask)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That bridge would be nice to have! I wonder why they took it out?

Also, The Flying Eagles were amazing. Don't knock them 'till you try them! They weren't hard to control. Some say they were one of the most "snappable" sets of Flying Scooters.

I never knew there was a bridge that you could walk over on Outer Hanks across the lake.

That bridge would be nice to have! I wonder why they took it out?

I wasn't going to say anything, but since it's been asked. Here's the story.

Note: The story contains Facts and Rumors, so I'll mention which is which as I tell it.

Fact: After Adventure Express was put in, Paramount wanted to buy the park.

Fact: Paramount owns the rights to Indiana Jones.

Rumor: Because Indiana Jones music was played while waiting for the ride, many thought Paramount was trying to sue or blackmail for ownership of the park.

Fact: Not long after Adventure Express was put in, 3 people were declared dead in the park on the same day at the same time, their causes of death were listed as accidents.

Fact: (for what happened at the lake and at Flight Commander)

http://www.KICentral...p?showtopic=817

Rumor: At the time most suspected Paramount rigged the park that day, cause deaths don't normally happen in the park and what are the odds that two separate incidents involving accidental deaths would happen on the same day at about the same time? Then immediately after it all happened the deal was made and Paramount took over.

Edit: These deaths as well as all other previous deaths in the park had also been Alcohol related, so Paramount tried removing Alcohol from the park, but people demanded their Alcohol so Alcohol was brought back to the park.

4/9/2010 I updated the facts on this post

I thought that the particular pond that that incident occurred in no longer existed? I've heard that multiple times... and, that's not a great reason to take the bridge out. It's not that difficult to jump over fences in the park- I've seen guests in the Royal Fountains a few times...

I am not sure exactly what pond it was in. But, Selective, I am fairly certain your Rumor that you've heard is totally and completely false.

Which of the two Rumors? Doesn't matter....

All the facts are true, and that is the lake. The reason I say the facts are true is:

1. I was there that day and watched it all on the news when I got home.

2. I knew many employees in management positions that shared a lot with me.

3. The guy that almost died in the lake was a friend of my family that saw him in the hospital

It really is a small world we live in.....................................

well I have never heard the rumor that paramount rigged the park... seriously who ever started that is dumber than a rock... and what do you mean no one found any reasons to explain them? A light shorted out causing the lake to conduct electricity (explained). Lady was intoxicated slipped out of her seat and died (explained).....

well I have never heard the rumor that paramount rigged the park... seriously who ever started that is dumber than a rock... and what do you mean no one found any reasons to explain them? A light shorted out causing the lake to conduct electricity (explained). Lady was intoxicated slipped out of her seat and died (explained).....

the lake: The light shorting out could not be explained, cause it was new and checked... about a day before the incident.

the ride: Being intoxicated and slipping out of the seat doesn't explain how it happened. The ride was checked and inspected after the incident and it was found safe with no possible way to fall out, and no sign of any malfunction. When Paramount was told they could reopen the ride, they decided to toss it in respect for the girl and her family.

---------

EDIT: I was wrong about the ride being checked. It did have a design flaw. When only one rider, the rider would slide and could fall out. It was a design flaw! Sorry...

the lake: The light shorting out could not be explained, cause it was new and checked... about a day before the incident.

the ride: Being intoxicated and slipping out of the seat doesn't explain how it happened. The ride was checked and inspected after the incident and it was found safe with no possible way to fall out, and no sign of any malfunction. When Paramount was told they could reopen the ride, they decided to toss it in respect for the girl and her family.

The lake: Just because a lightbulb is new and checked doesn't mean it won't short out? Any logic otherwise is absolutely laughable...

The ride: And as for Flight Commander, I suppose your right. A woman fell out, but the ride was checked and "there was no possible way to fall out." So it must've been the Twilight Zone! And since it was the Twilight Zone, Paramount rigged it since they own the awfully-similar, but much-updated Outer Limits, because they knew that years later they'd own the park and have a ride themed to it so they sent in disguised (but for their Paramount name tag) Paramount spies to rig the ride, then killed off a couple guests* to ensure they'd own the park and voila! The rest is history! :rolleyes:

While you're facts all check out, the rumors are incredibly silly. I think you're trying to make it seem like Kings Island has some dark, unexplained, horrific things that have happened just to build up mystery. That, however, is not the case. All the things you've said about Paramount rigging the park to kill people so they could own it (what?!) and such are the kinds of things you hear kids say in line and you just sit back and roll your eyes as their little friends "oooh" and "ahhhh." Sorry.

* My language here is intentionally blunt and disrepectful to mirror what's been said by others. I obviously have the utmost sorrow for the families involved. Just so no one assumes I'm that callous.

The Lake: The lights having been checked the day before makes it more likely for this kinda thing to have happened. Any maintenance worker could have easily disrupted some of the wires, during the inspection.

The Ride (Flight Commander): Most rides aren't that hard to fall off of. I bet I could slip out of my restraints on most any ride at Kings Island, but it would be almost impossible for me to unintentionally do so.

Just because a lightbulb is new and checked doesn't mean it won't short out? Any logic otherwise is absolutely laughable...

And as for Flight Commander, I suppose your right. A woman fell out, but the ride was checked and "there was no possible way to fall out." So it must've been the Twilight Zone! And since it was the Twilight Zone, Paramount rigged it since they own the awfully-similar, but much-updated Outer Limits, because they knew that years later they'd own the park and have a ride themed to it so they sent in disguised (but for their Paramount name tag) Paramount spies to rig the ride, then killed off a couple guests to ensure they'd own the park and voila! The rest is history! :rolleyes:

I think you're trying to make it seem like Kings Island has some dark, unexplained, horrific things that have happened just to build up mystery. That, however, is not the case. Sorry.

hahaha.... man goodyellowkorn you make me laugh.... and very true. Just because something is "ok" the day before does not mean something didnt happen (a kid could have picked up a rock dropped it in the lake and it hit the light.) or maybe the light burnt out (happens, bad bulb) caused the light to burst and short.... so many things could have happened. And yes the ride was checked out after the accident but that does not mean she still could (and she did) slip out.

Not to mention the ridiculous "rumor" selective posted that (and I quote, emphasis added): "Everyone still suspects Paramount rigged the park that day, cause no reasons could be found to explain them and immediately after it all happened the deal was made and Paramount took over."

I know of no one (except you?) who believed Paramount somehow infiltrated the park, electrified some water in hopes that someone would touch it, then rigged an intoxicated woman to fall from a ride. The very notion is ludicrous, and even insulting to the families impacted by those events - that their child, father, cousin, friend - was "murdered" by a movie studio in order to own a theme park (I don't even know how those two things could possibly be connected). Sigh. It's insane, that's what it is.

Again I point you to my last post in this thread - reasons were found why these incidents occurred. Attempts to make them seem "paranormal" or "unexplained" are outrageous, and you should know that they come across the same as any other conspiracy theory or middle-school-legend-about-a-headless-person-in-the-basement.

Actually I believe I read somewhere that Flight Commander used to not have a seat divider before the incident. Making it possible for someone to fall out if they wee riding alone, which she was. After the incident, the ride had a seat divider added, and reopened for a short time before ultimately being closed. So yeah, half of Selective's "facts" are wrong too...

Comment 1: Selective, those photos are fantastic, thanks so much for sharing! If you have anymore please feel free to share them!

Comment 2: Selective, the rest of your posts in this thread have been garbage. Even your "facts" need some serious cleaning up. (Paging The Interpreter, CoastersRZ, Boddah, anyone else who updates the historical content here and knows the facts).

Comment 3: Selective, Thanks again for contributing those photos.

Comment 4: The flying eagles which were at Kings Island are some of the most controllable to be found anywhere. And they are now at Carowinds, where they are still the most controllable. And as for your assessment of the tubs and the rides engineering, unless I am mistaken, those same tubs present on The Flying Eagles are still on the rides reincarnate at Carowinds.

I must agree with you Cory on all of your posts. This threat would have been much better with just the photos posted and nothing else mentioned or said. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Fact, great photos

Fact, the remainder of your posts are garbage.

Rumor, I think you are related to the Dipin Dots Guy, especially with your conspiracy theories. Take that somewhere else. I feel dumber for even reading those.

The day known as "Black Sunday" at KI was a series of unfortunate events.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=817

Please see Dane's explanation as to what happened. It has the the most accurate information.

There have been numerous "facts" listed in this thread, but most of them are rather "tainted".

Nice pictures though!

Browntggrr,

Thanks for posting the link, I corrected my facts and apologized for my misinformation on the Flight Commander safety inspection.

If I remember correctly, They inspected it more than once and this might have been how I got the information mixed up. Thanks again for clearing this up.

...and yes... the rumors do seem laughable now, but it is what most thought at the time cause how often do deaths happen at the park? Almost never! But that night, two different places at about the same time, what are the odds?

Nice pics but your comment about the flying eagles couldn't be more wrong. The KI now CW eagles are some of the best ones out there. Strickers Grove has another great set.

IMG_5223.jpg

CW Flying Eagles

1zexg0m.jpg

KI Flying Eagles

These do not look the same! If they were moved to CW, CW probably ditched them and got better ones.

or they repainted them.... selective i gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier but now you seem to be nothing but trying to troll on here and start trouble. and they are the same flying eagles. new paint job. Before you start anymore wild fires with your tongue, you should check the facts. As someone on here told me when i first started "those who know dont speak and those who do speak dont know." You are dangerously stepping into the speaking with out knowing area....

or they repainted them.... selective i gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier but now you seem to be nothing but trying to troll on here and start trouble. and they are the same flying eagles. new paint job. Before you start anymore wild fires with your tongue, you should check the facts. As someone on here told me when i first started "those who know dont speak and those who do speak dont know." You are dangerously stepping into the speaking with out knowing area....

htcolikespos.jpg

Couldn't agree more! :lol:

The day known as "Black Sunday" at KI was a series of unfortunate events.

http://www.KICentral...p?showtopic=817

Please see Dane's explanation as to what happened. It has the the most accurate information.

There have been numerous "facts" listed in this thread, but most of them are rather "tainted".

Nice pictures though!

That's very chilling to read, I can't imagine what it was like being there at the park when that occured.