Diamond Back cell phone collection

josh4958

I wanted to ask if there will be more cell phones add to the collection box on the Diamond Back display box, or was that just a one time prop put together for the ride.

It is funny to hear the comments made by people that are waiting in line about the different items in the box.

I say fill it up and start a second box......:)

Wasn't the box there from the opening of Diamondback? I assumed it was a prop put there to make a dramatic point. After having worked at KI, I can't imagine lost and found ever just tossing the lost articles into a ride display no matter how long they've gone unclaimed. But then again, I may be very wrong.

I'd rather they electrify the fence and railings so that when something like ink or gum touches it... ZAP!

• Like 1

Wasn't the box there from the opening of Diamondback? I assumed it was a prop put there to make a dramatic point. After having worked at KI, I can't imagine lost and found ever just tossing the lost articles into a ride display no matter how long they've gone unclaimed. But then again, I may be very wrong.

I'd rather they electrify the fence and railings so that when something like ink or gum touches it... ZAP!

It wasn't there the first few weeks. I believe it was added sometime in May. I assume those are the phones that are both broken and unclaimed. I lost mine on my second ride but was fortunate enough to get it back in one piece.

• Like 1

Would that be testing, or would you call that sitting on the lift hill. :P On the subject of the phone box. If you lost your phone on Diamondback, I can guarantee that your phone is not in the box. All those phones are unclaimed from previous years. I can't even begin to tell you how many people tell me that they found their phone in the box and they want it out. Kings Island thought of that before they built it.

How could anyone possibly say that any of those phones in the box are theirs? Unless they personalized their phone with stickers or art or something, every phone in there is just a certain model. Just because you lost a black samsung flip phone at Kings Island doesn't mean it's the one in the box..

And now for a tangent... I lost my phone on Diamondback last season, but I reported it and got it back a few days later :)

Of course there will be cell phones added to DB's ever-hungry phone box/net below the drop/brake run/ground under the coaster.. not to mention the inevitable car keys, iPods, wallets, season passes, hats, park maps, sunglasses, and undoubtedly flip flops that will fly off throughout the season.

Giga, who isn't really one to talk, seeing as how she lost her phone to Maverick last September due to forgetting to zip my cargo pocket.. :(

IF I carried a phone in the park, it would ring...and then....

No carry phone and everyone who would call knows I do not carry it...problem solved...

all i got to say is .......POCKET ...... NOT HOLSTER. DUH

My holster does a much better job at holding my phone than a non buttoned/zipped pocket. DB is the only ride at KI that I even remove it from my holster and place it in a buttoned/zipped pocket. If I am not wearing cargo's where I can do this it stays in the car!

• 10 years later...

It’s ten years later and I just have so many questions. Why are there no iPhones? Whose phones are those? Do they need them back? I’m genuinely concerned about this issue, it truly means so much to me. I’ve been staring at that phone box since I was ten years old and I just have got to know the truth

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, SCRAPPY DOO said:

It’s ten years later and I just have so many questions. Why are there no iPhones? Whose phones are those? Do they need them back? I’m genuinely concerned about this issue, it truly means so much to me. I’ve been staring at that phone box since I was ten years old and I just have got to know the truth

Plus.... my understanding is that those phones were primarily from under Firehawk. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Plus.... my understanding is that those phones were primarily from under Firehawk. 

I can agree with that, my iPhone 6 fell out of my pocket twice on Firehawk. I've never had a lose article fall out on any other ride. It was just the funky loading system and weird trains. Somehow, my phone survived the fall twice, and I'm still using the same phone

• Like 1

I worked DB opening year. The box was not there in the first few weeks the roller coaster was open. The majority of the phones in the box came from uncollected phones lost on other attractions which is why you won't see any new phones in the box as they came from phones in the 08-09 year. Regardless, People get the message of what can happen to their phone without having to gentrify the box.

• Like 4

It's hard to believe that iphones were a relatively new thing back in 2008/2009 which is why you probably don't see any in the box. I believe there was also a concern of guest's trying to break into the box so expensive phones weren't used. It is my understanding that all of these phones went through the lost and found procedure and went unclaimed, so none were actually from 2009. The box is there more for safety, and less for concern about your phone. Part of Diamondback's initial testing by management before the park opened was riders intentionally dropping things from the ride to see where they would land. The placement of the nets that you see around the ride today are a result of these tests. Since Firehawk didn't travel over the midway, a box of this type was never placed there even though it threw a lot more items from pockets on a daily basis.

• Like 1