Kings Island to open April 17 with familiar thrills, new 'Planet Snoopy' theme

The Interpreter

Regular readers of these forii will know that I have been somewhat hard on, and critical of, the Sandusky Register for some of its poor writing, etc. But, this article takes the cake:

http://www.daytondai...eme-649781.html

Bad grammar, mistakes, poorly written, incorrect facts...and then doesn't even point out that though the park will be open this Saturday, it is not open to the public Sunday.

This one deserves a full read, if only to point out some of its many, many errors...

The comments are interesting, too....

Bingo...along with other names...then there is a "drop zone" with little letters reference...and log flumeS? What log flumes? When did the writer research or fact check? Was this thing edited? And we haven't even talked of the grammatical errors...

The sad thing is the care exhibited in this article is typical of many about the park industry. Such articles are often seen as frothy light-weight piffle, not worth taking much time to do right.

Sigh.

Even the directions are wrong...

Construction has closed Ohio 741 between Ohio 63 and U.S. 42, a main artery used by visitors coming from the north, until May.

Several detours around this road block exist:

■ From Interstate 75, take the Ohio 63 Exit (exit 29) and make a left on Ohio 63. Take Ohio 63 through Lebanon and then make a right onto Ohio 48. Get on Interstate 71 and exit at Kings Island Drive (exit 25) and make a left.

After getting on Ohio 63, drive to Lebanon, then make a left on Ohio 42 (Broadway). Follow U.S. 42 south to Ohio 741 and make a left. Follow Ohio 741 to Kings Island.

That's Kings Mills Road.

"Several" generally refers to more than 2

If you turn left onto 42 in Lebanon, you'll be going North, not South.

They're leaving out the easiest route - 75 south to Tylersville, then east to Western Row / Kings Island Drive

Ohio 741 doesn't go to Kings Island - it ends at the Kings Mills Road / I-71 interchange.

Excellent post! Made me laugh. And yes, I read that article earlier today, and it made me shudder. They clearly did not spend a lot of time writing it. I still miss the nice write ups that the late Jim Knippenberg would do on Kings Island for the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Kite Eating Tree ( a mini-version of drop zone that rockets riders up and down)

No

That is like calling LBGC a miniature version of Diamondback.

Not to mention yet another dangling modifier. The Ride Formerly Known as Drop Zone does NOT rocket riders up and down. Power Tower perhaps...but not TRFKADZ.

What the ?????

The park’s twin towers of thrills are The Beast, the storied veteran of roller coasters, and the Diamondback, the feisty newbie of roller coaster fame, a twisting metal monstrosity that debuted in 2009.

That remark right there reminded me of the movie Twins with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito!

Last time I checked DB and Beast are coasters not towers and definitely not twins! :rolleyes:

Excellent post! Made me laugh. And yes, I read that article earlier today, and it made me shudder. They clearly did not spend a lot of time writing it. I still miss the nice write ups that the late Jim Knippenberg would do on Kings Island for the Cincinnati Enquirer.

I exchanged several e-mails with Jim. Such a nice person-one of my great regrets that I did not get to meet him in person

RIP Jim.

I wish they would stop calling Boob Blasters and Planet Snoopy "new". Wasn't the park kind of careful not to call Boo Blasters "new" for a while? I think I even pointed it out on here. They are newly themed, but they are not new.

They've called Boo Blasters "new" since day one; they only just added "experience" at the end to throw people off (maybe also because of the tacked-on 3D experience which cost $2-3 for paper glasses to "enhance" the ride) because Scooby-Doo is no longer a part of the ride.

...only if you want your ride "enhanced." Try explaining to your young kids that those paper glasses don't really enhance the ride. And think of the many families who will be less than amused at yet another of Cedar Fair's attempts to increase per caps.

I couldn't agree more....

I remember the magical feeling of the Enchanted Voyage from when I was 3 years old, but apparently CF has forgotten and/or abandoned the desire to reproduce that feeling in today's children.

Those tears are getting closer to the surface.....

Ouch, I'll be sure to spell check before I post any articles here for Terpy's perusal! :o

There are a few columnists at DDN that know what they are doing, but most reports are kind of like this one- little more than a press release. The DDN is not exactly known for crack journalism. Maybe journalism on crack.