Brainstorming for a Proposed KINGS COURT Club

bkroz

In today's 5@5, someone asked what we, as fans, can do to promote the park & make it an all-around better place? The response:

"... Our most loyal fans could be our best ambassadors. I used to work for a sports team that had an “ambassadors club”. They would come into the office at night and make calls on behalf of our ticket sales team. It was a way to harness their passion and it made a difference. You can do the same thing with word-of-mouth marketing. We’re trying really hard to improve our email and Facebook numbers. Your referrals are appreciated and could be extremely valuable. I welcome any other ideas you may have."

So, I got to thinking... What ideas do I have? On the very extreme of the spectrum is The Kings Club. Simply a way for fans of the park to really come together and talk about the inner workings, the things to improve, and the things that have improved! Perhaps its "out of the question," but I'm sure at some point, so was the idea of a park having a Twitter or a daily Q&A session where nothing is off limits! Quite simply, the club could be half fan-club, half-volunteer work where a small group of folks could be 'on the inside.' Imagine:

1.) MONTHLY MEET-UPS with a park "big wig" to discuss areas of improvement and throw ideas back & forth - perhaps the team behind the 5@5? I'm sure things are busy enough, but it's an idea! And during the off-season, the meetings can continue at local restaurants.

2.) AFTER-HOURS WORK to enact some of the cheap & easy ideas discussed in #1 (what immediately comes to mind - cleaning gum off of The Racer; hanging up camouflage netting inside The Crypt, gardening in the Tower Gardens...)

3. ADVERTISING. As was suggested in the 5@5, it might be phone calls, creating advertisements in Photoshop, distributing coupons... To be the official Kings Club would mean to spread the word, to encourage people to visit, and to create lasting memories for those who do! Perhaps even greeting people as they enter & just giving them a smiling face & an answer to any questions... Things like that really separate parks & give people an incredible first impression.

4. "SNEAK PEAKS" - a lights on ride of Flight of Fear, Boo Blasters & The Crypt; a night-time walk around Adventure Express... Even a walk-through of the Backlot Stunt Coaster tunnel with the lights on (what's in there?! Even on the few times that the house lights are on, I can't make it out.) would make us feel special & be so much fun!

5. ORGANIZING UNIQUE EVENTS. I, for one, know that I have a ton of art I've done of Kings Island, as do a lot of others. Much of it is very good. Hosting a "Kings Island Art Show" in the International Restaurant one evening would be a thrill for the Club members, and anyone from the park who decided wander up and check it out. Or a Kings Club Road-trip to Kings Dominion!

For me, Kings Island has been a part of my life for eighteen years (make it 19 years when I celebrate my birthday there April 24th...) and it would mean the world to me to be able to say what I want to say, to praise the park where it should be praised, and to help out, knowing that it's actually worth something. I can sit & rave about the landscaping for days to my friends, but to say it to someone who actually LISTENS, and who can actually DO SOMETHING where needed - that would be so great. Especially if *I* could be the one to do it! To know that, even in the smallest way, I've improved the park!

So, what are your thoughts on such an idea? Out of the question? Realistic? Also, be sure to discuss it (if you can!) on Kings Island's Facebook board since that's where those who can make things happen are more likely to read.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a great idea, and I would be interested in joining. The whole thing depends how willing Kings Island is to support this type of thing. If Kings Island actually lets us visit the park and work on certain things, it'll be well worth it. If Kings Island expects us to do this, but just tell them what should be changed, it probably won't be any different than it is now in Cedar Fair's advice taking.

I've been studying ride theming for years, and I've learned quite a bit. For example, why use painted plastic to create a spooky fence, when you can collect real wood from an abandoned barn? Parks have gotten a bit too involved in making the theming themselves. You can seriously get 'real' versions of what they make, for free.

Anyone else interested?

That sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see it become a reality, but I don't see us getting backstage tours if this became true. Another thing I could see happening (maybe replace the backstage tours, since they would be unlikely to happen) is ERT sessions after the park closes. Or maybe even 'Kings Club Exclusive Night' where the park would be closed to the general public and only Kings Club (and maybe Gold Pass) people are invited to enjoy the park all to their selves! Six Flags Over Georgia does something like that, and from I've heard it's very popular!

Anyone else interested?

Kings Island certainly is! From the same Facebook discussion, Kings Island said:

Brian, you just rattled off 706 words and not one of them was "Crypt". I'm impressed! Seriously, you obviously have the passion and I think you could really help turn this idea into something real. Give me a call and let me know how we can connect to discuss in more detail.

So, I would love more ideas & more willing participants for when I call - including, as you said, stipulations from both sides about what we want to do, and what we don't want to do! :) This is our chance to participate in Kings Island history! Let's be counted! If you can, it would be great if you could just reply with your ideas in the Facebook discussion!

I personally live four hours from the park... Four hours to the northeast. If I lived four hours in any other direction, I'd also be out of state, too! Doesn't mean I don't make it there enough times each summer to do some good and help out where I can! ;)

This sounds like an awesome idea. Another great way for fans and park reps to interact.

If this ever becomes a reality, I could see getting a volunteer group together to fix the Crypt up a little, and spruce up the train theming! :D

This sounds like an awesome idea. Another great way for fans and park reps to interact.

If this ever becomes a reality, I could see getting a volunteer group together to fix the Crypt up a little, and spruce up the train theming! :D

Absolutely! Just a group of us with nothing but some elbow grease and some TLC could really fix up the train! Some paint here, some plants there, a few scrap pieces of wood... Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but there are so many things at Kings Island that are easily improved. We don't need people to say "TEAR DOWN SOB" or "Make the Crypt flip 10 times again!" We need sensible, useful things that can be done for cheap while helping us, the fans, feel like we are living pieces of Kings Island history!

Fixing up the Crypt's ride chamber (draping camo netting over the garage doors, dusting the former lava-pits, helping to pick out cheap music), helping around with Racer (removing gum, painting where we can, sprucing up the station), even Adventure Express! Why not place a few props here and there and maybe screw in a few lightbulbs?). There's so much we can do to help, it would be selfish of us to not contribute!

Exactly. We could paint some details on the newer blank walls, so they look like buildings. Freshen up some faded older paint. Fix the curtains and windows in all the buildings so you can't see that they are fake facades with trees poking through the windows. Trim some trees in the fort, pain a new sign for the fort, plant some easy nice simple landscaping. I think it would turn out great.

And you know my mantra from the beginning has been that The Crypt can again be an immersive experience! Some black sheets hung over the missing rising wall, able to be pulled back like curtains. A simple "story" that appears to be 'told by The Bat' in the queue - easily recorded and edited to sound 'wheezy & demonic' in Garage Band... Camo netting hung over the paint cans and ladders strewn throughout the ride chamber. So much, for so little, and the ride would again be entertaining!

Combine all of our enthusiasm and creativity, and we can find similar solutions for Adventure Express, Flight Deck, and so many more! Together we can make a difference. It sounds cliche, but its so true. We all have so many different skills & specialities and united, we could revive so many 'dead' parts of the park!

I wonder if Kings Island's management would allow us to use some of the lighting and theme items that are currently in storage.

Kings Island has some amazing stuff. If only all of it were in use!

For the Crypt, I'm sure a few (10 or 16?) red and blue lights scattered on the floor could almost completely illuminate the goddess. The thing about lighting, figures appear much scarier when the light comes from below... It disrupts the natural flow. Examine the 'flashlight effect', very useful in telling scary stories... (The best I could find,

, at :13)

^

There's some of that specialization I'm talking about! Something I'll bring up when I call them! :)

I'm sure it would take a lot of work to get into synchronizing lights & music to go off at specified times during a ride cycle, but it's something that's obviously done in-house (I can't imagine HUSS set up the light sequence) and something we can dicuss because again, it would change the ride experience drastically, and takes more work (from us) than money (from them)!

I wonder if Kings Island's management would allow us to use some of the lighting and theme items that are currently in storage.

Kings Island has some amazing stuff. If only all of it were in use!

For the Crypt, I'm sure a few (10 or 16?) red and blue lights scattered on the floor could almost completely illuminate the goddess. The thing about lighting, figures appear much scarier when the light comes from below... It disrupts the natural flow.

I believe most of (if not all) of the TR:TR show lighting is still in place, just most of it isn't used. I wouldn't go as far as to place them on the floor (as the floor is visible thru the ride cycle, but mounting them at the bottom of the side "ladders" and cross-shooting them up and over (bottom right shot up and to the left, bottom left shot up and to the right) would extend shadows not only up (to increase visual size) but also extend shadows out and makes the object appear farther out from the wall than they actually are.

I'd also throw a couple H2O projectors focused down at the old pool, cycled through red patterns, to give the appearance of water (if the pool isn't coming back, we might as well preserve the effect).

^ Yes! The ranks are growing, and we haven't even started!

I'd also throw a couple H2O projectors focused down at the old pool, cycled through red patterns, to give the appearance of water (if the pool isn't coming back, we might as well preserve the effect).

That's a really cool & interesting idea... I know this sounds lame & way oversimplified (we could do better than this) but imagine taking something clear (plastic wrap...) and just stretching it across the lava pools, then projecting a water pattern... Again, that may be expensive but it would be an incredible effect. And as you said, it could just be projected onto the bottom of the pool, too. Just brainstorming (which is what this is all about)!

Hopefully something like this could really take off! I will call the number provided by the park this weekend and discuss it. Of course, I'll report back. The person representing Kings Island said, "Give me a call and let me know how we can connect to discuss in more detail." I will be down there on the second weekend (April 24th & 25th) so hopefully that can be a time when we can connect to discuss it. Can't wait!

Keep the ideas & suggestions coming! This is great.

That's a really cool & interesting idea... I know this sounds lame & way oversimplified (we could do better than this) but imagine taking something clear (plastic wrap...) and just stretching it across the lava pools, then projecting a water pattern... Again, that may be expensive but it would be an incredible effect.

The simpler the effect = the better the operation.

A few layers of R100 diffusion stretched over the pool and 4 H2O projectors would look great.

Thanks! Just imagine... We could all get together & design t-shirts with our name & logo, whatever it may be - Kings Court. Island Ambassadors. Kings Club... We could greet people in the mornings with a smile and a "Welcome to Kings Island!" and answer any questions, pass out maps, and pretty much just give folks a really bright & cheery morning - something that Universal & Disney do every day, and it's epic and incredible and makes you feel special each and every time!

Maybe we could even get our own blog on the Kings Island website where we can discuss our interactions in the park, our favorite rides, and everything! Though it may be highly moderated, it would certainly be an incredible experience that none of us would forget... And need I even say it - bumper stickers! :lol:

In today's 5@5, someone asked what we, as fans, can do to promote the park & make it an all-around better place? The response:

"... Our most loyal fans could be our best ambassadors. I used to work for a sports team that had an "ambassadors club". They would come into the office at night and make calls on behalf of our ticket sales team. It was a way to harness their passion and it made a difference. You can do the same thing with word-of-mouth marketing. We're trying really hard to improve our email and Facebook numbers. Your referrals are appreciated and could be extremely valuable. I welcome any other ideas you may have."

So, I got to thinking... What ideas do I have? On the very extreme of the spectrum is The Kings Club. Simply a way for fans of the park to really come together and talk about the inner workings, the things to improve, and the things that have improved! Perhaps its "out of the question," but I'm sure at some point, so was the idea of a park having a Twitter or a daily Q&A session where nothing is off limits! Quite simply, the club could be half fan-club, half-volunteer work where a small group of folks could be 'on the inside.' Imagine:

1.) MONTHLY MEET-UPS with a park "big wig" to discuss areas of improvement and throw ideas back & forth - perhaps the team behind the 5@5? I'm sure things are busy enough, but it's an idea! And during the off-season, the meetings can continue at local restaurants.

2.) AFTER-HOURS WORK to enact some of the cheap & easy ideas discussed in #1 (what immediately comes to mind - cleaning gum off of The Racer; hanging up camouflage netting inside The Crypt, gardening in the Tower Gardens...)

3. ADVERTISING. As was suggested in the 5@5, it might be phone calls, creating advertisements in Photoshop, distributing coupons... To be the official Kings Club would mean to spread the word, to encourage people to visit, and to create lasting memories for those who do! Perhaps even greeting people as they enter & just giving them a smiling face & an answer to any questions... Things like that really separate parks & give people an incredible first impression.

4. "SNEAK PEAKS" - a lights on ride of Flight of Fear, Boo Blasters & The Crypt; a night-time walk around Adventure Express... Even a walk-through of the Backlot Stunt Coaster tunnel with the lights on (what's in there?! Even on the few times that the house lights are on, I can't make it out.) would make us feel special & be so much fun!

5. ORGANIZING UNIQUE EVENTS. I, for one, know that I have a ton of art I've done of Kings Island, as do a lot of others. Much of it is very good. Hosting a "Kings Island Art Show" in the International Restaurant one evening would be a thrill for the Club members, and anyone from the park who decided wander up and check it out. Or a Kings Club Road-trip to Kings Dominion!

For me, Kings Island has been a part of my life for eighteen years (make it 19 years when I celebrate my birthday there April 24th...) and it would mean the world to me to be able to say what I want to say, to praise the park where it should be praised, and to help out, knowing that it's actually worth something. I can sit & rave about the landscaping for days to my friends, but to say it to someone who actually LISTENS, and who can actually DO SOMETHING where needed - that would be so great. Especially if *I* could be the one to do it! To know that, even in the smallest way, I've improved the park!

So, what are your thoughts on such an idea? Out of the question? Realistic? Also, be sure to discuss it (if you can!) on Kings Island's Facebook board since that's where those who can make things happen are more likely to read.

This is what I was talking about with the post I put up a few days ago: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21156

I think a loyalty rewards program (ie: Six Flags) would be terrific. Perhaps rewards for bringing friends, which are not pass holders, to the park. Just a thought, I'm confident this could benefit the park where they need it the most. I also love the idea of late night general projects, I would surely particapate!

I love the idea of sprucing up the park, but some of these ideas sounds kind of like the 'Kings Club' could be used a little bit too much by KI as free labor. I don't mean to poop on the parade, but there is red tape here that needs to be worked with.

(what immediately comes to mind - cleaning gum off of The Racer; hanging up camouflage netting inside The Crypt, gardening in the Tower Gardens...)

Stuff like cleaning gum should be done by the park. KI loves the idea of a helpful band of volunteers because it means that things may get done for free. They are a money-making business. The goodwill of park lovers shouldn't be directed toward jobs that should be done by park workers. ON the other hand, (and this is just an off-the-cuff example) the 'Kings Club' could do something like provide McDonalds gift cards to park employees that go the extra mile to find time to pick off gum here and there. Something indirect that rewards park employees instead of giving volunteer man hours to such tasks.

We could paint some details on the newer blank walls, so they look like buildings. Freshen up some faded older paint. Fix the curtains and windows in all the buildings so you can't see that they are fake facades with trees poking through the windows. Trim some trees in the fort, pain a new sign for the fort, plant some easy nice simple landscaping. I think it would turn out great.

Some of the things like making changes and dusting the Crypt may not be easy to orchestrate. Every addition to a ride has to be approved (even a sheet) and someone from the park would have to be on hand while things like dusting were done. So they'd have to pay personnel to be on hand while the volunteers came in. Even something like placing plants would have to be reviewed and approved.

Things like this may meet contention with the park:

For example, why use painted plastic to create a spooky fence, when you can collect real wood from an abandoned barn?
Some paint here, some plants there, a few scrap pieces of wood... Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but there are so many things at Kings Island that are easily improved.

Old barn wood would have to be replaced much sooner than painted plastic. We all know that whenever you replace something that people have come to expect at KI, they don't like it. New barn wood would have to be provided and re-stained as the old wood gave away or wore enough to not meet safety/building code. This kind of authentic theming is a feat that Disney might have the foresight and cash to support, but a park like KI might not like the idea of all that future maintenance, and depending on an outside organization to carry the responsibility.

We could greet people in the mornings with a smile and a "Welcome to Kings Island!" and answer any questions, pass out maps, and pretty much just give folks a really bright & cheery morning - something that Universal & Disney do every day, and it's epic and incredible and makes you feel special each and every time!
I LOVE this idea. I can't see the park meeting this with contention outside of liability and background checks to let people represent their brand outside of KI employment.

When you can detail specific projects, it is also easier to get grants or sponsorship donations. Taking on a few projects a year means that there is more focus and each project can be wrestled in red tape with the park.

I'm all for helping out the park, but we would have to focus on specific projects, and make sure that we're not providing free labor. I have created a 501c3 organization before, and there is a lot of legal implications when you form an independent entity that handles donations and works with entertainment businesses like KI. It can be kind of ridiculous at times, but when you play by the rules and get through all the complicated business, you come out on the other side with a lot of good works and happy people.

I call dibs on Flight of Fear's queue line, I am going to clean that up and restore it back to perfect working order.

Jasper I would totally help you out! I would love to see it like it was when i was younger!

This sounds like a great idea. Hopefully we could get something good started.

I think if a program like this was created that there would be some kind of reward . Example: like ERT or something of that nature for helping pull weeds all day.

Count me in on this! So far all I'm hearing is great ideas and oppertunities. A Park Supported club who volunteers to make Kings Island a better place through cheap projects we can all pitch in on. Who woulda thunk? Awesome idea!

Sprucing up the Train, Decorating the Crypt, Landscaping Tower Gardens, Fixing the FOF queue, these are all awesome ideas I'd love to join in on. All of these ideas are so simple, too! I'm having trouble thinking of any others off the top of my head, but trust me, I'll be brainstorming!