Review: "Way Too Much TV"

BoddaH1994

So, I got to check out Way Too Much TV earlier today at Kings Island. I was excited to see what they had done with the Festhaus this time around.

It seems as though Kings Island is pretty committed to building nice sets, and this is no exception.

IMG_0011_copy~0.jpg

As you can see, 6 TVs adorn the left and right sides of the stage with an additional 7th television in the middle built into the bar. In case you're wondering, the television sets that hang on the left and right sides of the eating area also carry a simulcast of what's being shown on the stage's television sets.

But enough about TVs...

Had I gone to any other park and heard they had a TV theme song-based show, it would have made my skip list quickly, but this one was produced in house and that hasn't seemed to have failed Kings Island at all in the past 5 years.

The show begins back in the 1950s, with theme songs from such shows as "I Love Lucy" and many others. From there's it travels through the decades and ultimately leading up to the 1990s.

Why stop in the 1990s? I'm not sure, but it works and it works well. Maybe it's supposed to be more of a nostalgic (there's that word again!) thing, but all I know is the show would have been knocked down several pegs in my book if the last ten minutes were the themes to shows like Kim Possible and iCarly. Kids these days... :rolleyes:

Anyway, one thing that I didn't expect to see was a lot of prop comedy.

IMG_9987_copy.jpg

That was the thing... the show was actually funny. Like, it had some actual laugh out loud moments. One gag that particularly stuck out was when they were doing the Brady Bunch theme, they all pranced down the steps and when the person in front abruptly stopped it ended in a very Brady collision.

I guess the thing I liked the most about the show was how it brought back memories of sitcoms I hadn't even thought about in a long time. Does anyone remember the theme the Full House? How about Perfect Strangers? Both of which were shows I grew up with, but haven't seen for the better part of a decade. This is a show that anyone can relate to in their own way. I'm very confident that it will be one of the more popular shows that has been hosted in the Festhaus in the past several years.

Untitled-1.jpg

Way Too Much TV features some of Kings Island's top performers that you have seen in such shows as Down Home Country, County Line, Ghouls Gone Wild and Hot Blooded. The singing and dancing is off the charts, as we have come to expect from our home park.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's reaction to the show. Like I said, I think anyone on this forum can relate to it in their own way. Definitely check it out!

Opens: April 17th - Opening Day!

Show times: 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:30 and 6:00

Nice review, but...

...Had I gone to any other park and heard they had a TV theme song-based show, it would have made my skip list quickly, but this one was produced in house and that hasn't seemed to have failed Kings Island at all in the past 5 years....

Really? Busch does incredible shows and sets, Dollywood spends much, much more on sets and production and even has Dolly write some of their shows, Disney has some really phantasmic shows, Fiesta Texas is known for its incredible shows...

But if it had been ANY other park and TV themed and song based, it would have made your skip list quickly? I think you need to rethink shows. What you almost seem to be saying is that you are not a show person, but since you know the people at Kings Island you give shows a shot there where you would not elsewhere. You really need to see some shows in parks like Busch Gardens Tampa, Dollywood, etc.

Am I actually excited to see a show at Kings Island? Could it be? Well, since Ghouls Gone Wild, I've been looking forward to another show, really.

20-something (number will remain mysterious) years of visiting KI means I've sat through some stinkers as a kid and with my own kids. Most of them seem to be required to follow this music montage law (i.e., no story).

They can be difficult to enjoy without the performance being overly cheesy, corny and otherwise face-palmy. That's why I'm glad to hear that there is humor in this one. It is what made GoulsGW a great show, and is the only way to do music montage shows, IMHO. There is obviously singing/dancing/performing talent to be appreciated, but for me, the humor saves the show. (We've also been to Disney and it's hard to beat that kind of entertianment. Story, music and humor there.) I'll be sure to catch this one, and hoping it makes us laugh.

I am wondering myself if this show will upstage my now number one show, Dead Awakening. Considering they are two completely different shows it is kind of hard to compare them. I also enjoyed the Flashback Totally 80's show last year, it was especially interesting after MJ died and they kind of did a little tribute to him.

Nice review, but...

...Had I gone to any other park and heard they had a TV theme song-based show, it would have made my skip list quickly, but this one was produced in house and that hasn't seemed to have failed Kings Island at all in the past 5 years....

Really? Busch does incredible shows and sets, Dollywood spends much, much more on sets and production and even has Dolly write some of their shows, Disney has some really phantasmic shows, Fiesta Texas is known for its incredible shows...

But if it had been ANY other park and TV themed and song based, it would have made your skip list quickly? I think you need to rethink shows. What you almost seem to be saying is that you are not a show person, but since you know the people at Kings Island you give shows a shot there where you would not elsewhere. You really need to see some shows in parks like Busch Gardens Tampa, Dollywood, etc.

Since when does putting a lot of money into a show make it good? Remember when (Paramount's) Kings Island put a million dollars into Magic of the Movies? Remember how good that show was?

I'm kind of disappointed that they end with the 1990's. Why do they feel it isn't necessary to have songs that MY generation grew up with?

well to be truthful probably a few reasons.

1. the average viewer of the shows will be older than 24. (I know some youngins will be in the audiences but not the typical audience)

2. some of the "newer" shows may not have a recognizable theme song. I couldnt pick out the theme song to many new shows, plus it looks like it may be avoiding cartoons.

3. The older shows are recognizable to the target audience (odds are the target audience are families with adults in the 25-35 region)

4. Just because they didnt include them is not a slight towards "your" generation but could be because there are no shows that "define" the 2000s

---- the 50s it was the honey mooners, 60s: I love Lucy, 70s: All in the family, Jeffersons, 80s: Cheers, growing pains 90s: friends, home improvement, family matters, full house,

---- in the 2000s.... its more reality tv (again dont count cartoons***). Looking at the list of shows from the 2000s it does not appear to have that family draw that the previous decades of shows had. You could make a case for how I met your mother or the CSIs (but if they did their theme songs it would just be a bunch of WHO songs.) Many shows that are on during the 2000s are special interest shows, that lack a sense of great inclussion, plus reality shows.

But it seems that the 2010s have some shows hitting their strides for larger audiences (House, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family)

*** the reason I did not include cartoons because each generation has its own cartoons. Plus no cartoon series has proven to be a long lasting media with few exceptions: The Flintstones, The Simpsons, (arg) Family Guy?

Again my list of tv shows are shows that aired on the major 3/4/5 networks(ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW/WB/UPN), during Prime Time. But if you have a show you think would be good that would be easily recognizable by large audiences feel free to put them in here.

Surely they sing the theme song to "The Facts Of Life." LOL!

To those folks that are upset by their not using theme songs past the 1990's... well, that's likely because there aren't any to choose from. In the mid 1990's theme songs fell victim to commercialization. They cut them short in order to show more commercials, or stopped them altogether. Today's shows, if they use an introductory theme, usually use a short orchestration or underscoring played as the show/credit rolls. Most shows today are reality crap anyway... and the theme songs of yesterday are nostalgic as are sitcoms.

As far as KI's show quality. Obviously I've not seen this production... but typical entertainment at KI in the past 2 decades has been extremely sub-par. However nothing... NOTHING will ever compare to the abysmal disaster that was "Cheer's Live!" in the 2nd or 3rd season under Paramount's name. I cannot begin to tell you how embarassing it was for the audience to watch, and the performers to be in.

Shaggy

i, for one, am glad to see nostalgia makin a comeback. much of todays society is surrounded with, what i call, "bubble gum pop". then after its made its run (& been WELL overplayed) is tossed to the side, never to be heard from again. i understand everyone has there own musical taste's, but when one gets crammed down the throat, they tend to dislike that style of music. that is why im a fan of music that ranges from 1930-1997.

i, for one, am glad to see nostalgia makin a comeback. much of todays society is surrounded with, what i call, "bubble gum pop". then after its made its run (& been WELL overplayed) is tossed to the side, never to be heard from again. i understand everyone has there own musical taste's, but when one gets crammed down the throat, they tend to dislike that style of music. that is why im a fan of music that ranges from 1930-1997.

Meh, every generation has its form of "bubble gum pop" music. Back in the 40's anyone who could sing a Doo-Wop song was pushing it out there to be overplayed. There are a lot of classics from the past but just like today, there is a ton of stuff that people made (or stole) just to make a quick buck and would be forgotten.

Surely they sing the theme song to "The Facts Of Life." LOL!

"You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have..." :D

There was a show done a few years back (I know it played in Dallas and NYC for a short run) called "Facts of Life: The Lost Episode" that was done entirely with a cast of drag queens! From the web site it looked hilarious!

"Facts of Life" came on TV when I was in the 4th grade and went off when I was a sophomore in college! (Talk about a TV show encompassing all of your growing up years...)

Yes, "Cheers Live!" has to be one of the most God-awful shows ever produced in any theme park, anywhere. It always amazed me that with all of the resources available to Paramount/Viacom that they always did such a horrible job with live entertainment! (And, this was only a few years after KI had produced in-house one of the best theme park shows ever--"Celebration!"...I think I still have my "Celebration" cast album at my parent's house somewhere.)

As far as KI's show quality. Obviously I've not seen this production... but typical entertainment at KI in the past 2 decades has been extremely sub-par.

Over the past several years, the shows have gotten much better. You should give them another chance.

However nothing... NOTHING will ever compare to the abysmal disaster that was "Cheer's Live!" in the 2nd or 3rd season under Paramount's name. I cannot begin to tell you how embarassing it was for the audience to watch, and the performers to be in.

What about for the people who were pulled up from the audience to be on stage? I was "lucky" enough to be pulled up for that show once. I had to sit on a barstool with a mug of fake beer. And they sat me where Cliff always sat in the TV show... were they trying to say something about me with that? How did they know I'm full of useless knowledge (and totally rock on Jeopardy because of that)? laugh.gif

I think that special effects show they had in Paramount Theater (was that the "Magic of the Movies" show that BoddaH mentioned earlier?) and the game show that they had in Festhaus were slightly worse than "Cheers Live!"

I'm looking forward to all the new shows this year!

And to be fair, that $1 million that was spent on the "Magic of the Movies" show (if you could even call it that), is somewhat misleading. That was the year that the Paramount Theater/Kings Island Theater received a major interior upgrade. They removed the old pew seating arrangement and replaced it with new auditorium style seating. I believe that they also upgraded the sound and lighting control systems at that time. So the actual budget spent on that show was not $1 million as most of the money was diverted to the above listed improvements.

That game show they had in the Feshaus was called "Game On."

While the quality of Kings Island`s shows have improved greatly since Cedar Fair took over, they are nothing where they were under KECO. And in comparison to parks like Dollywood, Kings Island`s shows are still mediocre at best. If you have seen Coney`s live shows (many people ask me if it is karaoke) in comparison to Kings Island`s shows, then use the same analagy when comparing Kings Island`s shows to Dollywood`s shows. Hands down, Dollywood has some great live entertainment. Can`t complain with multiple theaters that offer forty five minute shows!

Agreed. I`ve been to Dollywood a couple of times. It still amazes me that on one of my visits I didn`t even ride a ride until around two in the afternoon (having been in the park all morning as well) because we were watching shows!

You don`t find that at many parks. And look what the major new attraction at Dollywood was last year. A new show, Sha-kon-o-hey. You don`t see most seasonal parks (there are some out there that do, and Interpreter noted some of them) featuring a new live show as their new addition. Live shows have a different target audience compared to thrill rides. Together, they complement each other and help provide a form of valuable entertainment to those who are not into all the big, tall shiny rides.

KI's best (and I use that term lightly) show can't hold a candle to the shows at Dollywood and Busch Gardens. What amazes me is, now that DWood seems to be making the transition from a show park to a rides park, they manage to keep their shows to the highest quality. As for "Way Too Much TV", yawn. Looks like the set they had there last year minus the TV's.

...As for "Way Too Much TV", yawn. Looks like the set they had there last year minus the TV's.

Well, it is the same set as least year, with the TVs added and a new drop.

When I first saw this, I wondered if there would be a 2nd show in the Festhaus (like last year) maybe to debut later in the season? A 2nd roll-down drop and a different graphic on the screens is all it would take to make a "different" set.

...As for "Way Too Much TV", yawn. Looks like the set they had there last year minus the TV's.

When I first saw this, I wondered if there would be a 2nd show in the Festhaus (like last year) maybe to debut later in the season? A 2nd roll-down drop and a different graphic on the screens is all it would take to make a "different" set.

Well Down Home Country is set to start in Festhaus later in the year. So they pretty much had to keep the set for DHC, because for a couple months they overlap. Where they could be doing Way Too Much TV one day, and Down Home Country the next, so they have to keep the set the same.

Well Down Home Country is set to start in Festhaus later in the year. So they pretty much had to keep the set for DHC, because for a couple months they overlap. Where they could be doing Way Too Much TV one day, and Down Home Country the next, so they have to keep the set the same.

Just as I suspected. The set looks great and should work for both shows. I'd rather have one nice looking, permanent set than two cheap looking rollaways.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was the first time I had gotten to see "Way Too Much TV". I was extremely pleased, finally a show people can actually relate to from beginning to end. It actually had a feel good quality to it, I was watching people and we were all singing along to it, and people around me were saying, Oh I remember that and would start singing. I was a TV nerd growing up and hate to admit it but I could sing-a-long to every show up there. I was shocked to see "Gimme A Break" up there, I haven't thought about that show for years but was always one of my favorites. Thanks for bringing back old memories to a TV geek. I love shows that keep the audience smiling from beginning to end and this is definitely a winner we have needed for a long time.

And to be fair, that $1 million that was spent on the "Magic of the Movies" show (if you could even call it that), is somewhat misleading. That was the year that the Paramount Theater/Kings Island Theater received a major interior upgrade. They removed the old pew seating arrangement and replaced it with new auditorium style seating. I believe that they also upgraded the sound and lighting control systems at that time. So the actual budget spent on that show was not $1 million as most of the money was diverted to the above listed improvements.

I wouldn't say the sound and lighting were upgraded. Certain elements were added on, but the core of it hasn't changed in a while. Don't forget the video rig either... the two projectors weren't cheap.

I wouldn't say the sound and lighting were upgraded. Certain elements were added on, but the core of it hasn't changed in a while. Don't forget the video rig either... the two projectors weren't cheap.

Aren't those LED bars mounted vertically on the stage new? I didn't remember seeing them last year. And just for the record, this is NOT how LED fixtures should be used.

Aren't those LED bars mounted vertically on the stage new? I didn't remember seeing them last year. And just for the record, this is NOT how LED fixtures should be used.

If you're referring to Festhaus, those aren't LED. They're Altman Zip Strips and they were put up for Haunt last fall. There certainly isn't a written law on how to use a lighting fixture. You don't HAVE to use a cyc light just for lighting a cyc. Lighting is all about trying different things. There are methods and common practices, but that doesn't mean you always have to follow the crowd... you can change it up sometimes.

If you're referring to Festhaus, those aren't LED. They're Altman Zip Strips and they were put up for Haunt last fall. There certainly isn't a written law on how to use a lighting fixture. You don't HAVE to use a cyc light just for lighting a cyc. Lighting is all about trying different things. There are methods and common practices, but that doesn't mean you always have to follow the crowd... you can change it up sometimes.

My apologies, they appeared to be RGB LED strip fixtures from the photos (I haven't been in Festhaus yet this season). I'm all about changing it up. Some of my best work has been improvised and jury-rigged together. However, using an RGB fixture (as I thought the strips were) as a "punch" backlight becomes more distracting and certainly doesn't add much. A tri-circut strip in different gel patterns are great for this application. An RGB, no matter how hard you try, won't function as a direct-at-crowd fixture. The fundamental of RGB fixtures involves a medium there to facilitate the blending of the colors (either through spaced, thick diffusion or directional targets).

Anyhoo, enough geek talk, back to you regularly scheduled review! B)