Cheetah Hunt

A new coaster has been in the works for Busch Tampa for several years, however with the InBev purchase many things were postponed. Rumors have been swirling wildly over the past several months that the project was back on track for a 2011 opening and for a change being brought to us by Intamin instead of B&M. The ride will utilize the former monorail station and part of the current SkyRide building and basically run out towards Rhino Rally where it will also use the canyon that currently houses the river portion of Rally. The river portion will be discontinued from the Rhino Rally experience due to the significant amount of downtime that it experiences. A local contracting company in Tampa posted PDF files on their website which included the layout of the coaster and details regarding the new pathway that will be constructed to accomodate the ride as well as a new temporary path that will actually be constructed OUTSIDE the Park to get guests past the construction area from Katonga over to the Egypt area. These have now been spreading over the net. Someone was able to make out Intamin's name on one page of the PDF file that was posted. As for ride type.....its a guess at this point. Most rumors are pointing towards a Maverick style ride that will feature multiple launches, which I think is quite likely if you take a look at the layout, however a few people are guessing that its possible one of Intamin's Wing Rider coasters. Either way, this is a significant project and the coaster itself is quite long! Take a look, let the speculation begin! Don't expect any details or major announcements out of any of the Florida parks until after the Harry Potter grand opening festivities take place and simmer down a bit.

http://bgtguide.com/bgt/project2011

- Todd, beyond excited about the possibility of Florida's first Intamin being a Maverick.......please, please, please let it be!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeppers...

There's this old park codger who loves Busch Gardens Tampa with a purple passion, who has as his favorite steel coaster one Maverick (and yes, he's ridden Cedar Fair's two new steels this year...), and he's excited beyond words. More than that he cannot say.

Well, Terpy, I'll agree about one Maverick....but I happen to tremendously enjoy that new Cedar Fair steel I-305 a bit more. Either way......this kind of ride at BGT along with Kumba. Oh my. Me thinks I'll be spending a lot of time in Tampa next summer.

Ryan, yes losing the water portion of Rhino Rally is disappointing. While its never been a favorite of mine, I have always appreciated the effort that the park went through to create the attraction and to set it apart from Kilimanjaro at DAK. Without it, the ride is just sorta of meh. I'm so glad it was working the day that you and I went!

- Todd

A couple of thoughts:

- Wow, that coaster looks really long

- Sad that the sky ride will be down for so long (I really enjoyed that on my trip)

- While I wasn't a fan of the water portion of Rhino Rally, I was looking forward to taking my kids on it one day as I knew they'd love it

A couple of thoughts:

- Wow, that coaster looks really long

- Sad that the sky ride will be down for so long (I really enjoyed that on my trip)

- While I wasn't a fan of the water portion of Rhino Rally, I was looking forward to taking my kids on it one day as I knew they'd love it

I read over on TPR, someone used sometype of measurement tool on Google Maps and came up with a track length close to 5,000 feet! So, a nice long coaster is refreshing indeed down here! Yes, the Sky Ride will be closed for a while.....right now its scheduled to be down from June 1, 2010 through the rest of the year. The train will also be closing at some point, as a portion of the tracks will be taken up to accomodate construction but there isn't a date listed on the Park's website yet.

Oh, while these plans were uncovered a permit was also uncovered for a new building that is to be used during Howl-o-Scream for what would appear to be a new haunted house. Given that the area underneath the old monorail station is typically used for a haunt and will clearly be underconstruction during this year's Howl-o-Scream event, I'm happy to see the Park taking additional measures to keep capacity high during the extremely busy Halloween season.

SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment have also trademarked 3 names that someone else uncovered, though its unsure if they are related to the Busch Gardens Project: Kangaloom, Kookaburra's Nest and Walkabout Waters. Personally, I feel those names are better suited for Aquatica....who is also rumored to be getting a decent size expansion for the 2011 season to follow up with this year's Omaka Rocka.

- Todd

... The river portion will be discontinued from the Rhino Rally experience due to the significant amount of downtown that it experiences. ...

Guess The Crypt isn't the only ride experiencing downtown... smile.gif

Ha! Ooops! Corrected! biggrin.gif

Unlike Crypt though, if the river portion is down you still already experienced the bulk of the attraction. The driver takes the road to the right, which everyone always insists that he do but never does, and heads straight to the unloading dock!

- Todd

SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment have also trademarked 3 names that someone else uncovered, though its unsure if they are related to the Busch Gardens Project: Kangaloom, Kookaburra's Nest and Walkabout Waters. Personally, I feel those names are better suited for Aquatica....who is also rumored to be getting a decent size expansion for the 2011 season to follow up with this year's Omaka Rocka.

- Todd

I bet they are for Aquatica... I doubt that they'd TM this project in their real name (most operators have "outside" names they use to hold Trademarks to protect secrecy). That, and I can't see them using an Austrailian theme, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the park. I'd say that the popular "Cheetah"-themed rumor is likely correct here.

- Todd

I bet they are for Aquatica... I doubt that they'd TM this project in their real name (most operators have "outside" names they use to hold Trademarks to protect secrecy). That, and I can't see them using an Austrailian theme, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the park. I'd say that the popular "Cheetah"-themed rumor is likely correct here.

Especially because Busch Gardens is themed to Africa and Aquatica is themed to Australia... :wacko: It's not even an option that the new coaster would be kangaroo themed.

Especially because Busch Gardens is themed to Africa and Aquatica is themed to Australia... wacko.gif It's not even an option that the new coaster would be kangaroo themed.

Absolutely! I agree with ya on that. I'm sure they are for Aquatica, as I said it meshes quite well with the next phase of expansion....which will actually see the re-location of the Park's exit road. This one will be a bit more than one new attraction.

- Todd

While I understand that the composition is from a limited amount of data, I think it looks rather boring.

Five long straight sections?

Multiple LIM launches?

Color me impressed! You've managed to already put a negative spin on a ride that we still know NOTHING about at this point! Given that no profile view of the layout is available, you've managed to determine the ride is boring simply from an overhead view. Sheesh.

- Todd

While I understand that the composition is from a limited amount of data, I think it looks rather boring.

Multiple LIM launches?

Color me impressed! You've managed to already put a negative spin on a ride that we still know NOTHING about at this point! Given that no profile view of the layout is available, you've managed to determine the ride is boring simply from an overhead view. Sheesh.

- Todd

I agree with DaveStroem. Judging by the left/right turn ratio, I'm relatively certain it'll be boring too. :rolleyes:

Multiple LIM launches?

- Todd

I agree with DaveStroem. Judging by the left/right turn ratio, I'm relatively certain it'll be boring too. rolleyes.gif

You are such a jerk, buddy! I'm gonna remember that when you want to come crash my apartment again on your next Orlando adventure biggrin.gif I dunno, you may be right though, the left/right turn ratio *is* starting to make this baby look a little dull. Combine that with those straight sections that Dave pointed out, which no doubt will be completely flat and do absolutely nothing whatsoever.....we DO have a complete snoozer on our hands! dry.gif

- Todd

Got to admit its a little weird (since they are disagreeing), but I agree with both Dave and Todd.

- The layout does seem a little unusual and doesn't scream excitement

- It's probably because we aren't used to seeing rides from this point of view and can't tell elevation, ride elements, or speed from it

Bottom line, there are things I just don't get from looking at this composite (but I'm not supposed to am I). Remember, even when I305 was announced and the ride layout/animations were shown - people didn't like it and thought it looked boring. Haven't heard anyone say that in a Trip Report yet though.

If you looked at an overhead view of The Beast, you could quickly assume it's boring. But what if I told you that all the tunnels are as highly themed as Adventure Express' once were, that the brake shed was a series of high airtime bunny hills, there were no trims and the ride reached a top speed of near 70, each turn reached about a 70 degree angle and the transitions were comparable to that of Maverick? Oh, and it'll also have super comfy trains with no seatbelt or OTSRs? Would you be quick to assume it's boring then?

I'm not judging this ride till I see the concept art. This could be anything from Intamin to Premier!

I don't think anyone will disagree that the layout in the composition looks a little uninspired. This as we know does not indicate that the ride itself will or won't be great.

I am only judging the layout on the paper not the ride itself.

My views are my own. I am not trying to push them on anyone.

Even though I don't care for I305, I feel that people should make their own determination after riding it. It is anything but boring.

I completely disagree that it looks uninspired. Its not another cookie cutter B&M out and back or a launch top hat break run. If anything I'd say it looks like a combination of Maverick and Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit both of which are completely different and were something new that we've never seen before. It looks really long, twisty, lots of possibility for airtime hills, and the square area at the bottom is a complete mystery that could be any combination of hills, launches, tunnels, themeing who knows. It looks very intriguing to me, and I can't wait to see what this turns into.

na2Sz.jpg

Go Browns, I completely respect your opinion even though it differs from mine. wacko.gif

As to Diamondback, I have read many comments that it is a boring and uninspired layout too.

One thing though, BGTguide.com requested that you not redistribute their images.

Please, no direct linking to the image or redistributing of the images elsewhere."

The square area does seem a bit odd, but I could see it being an interactive area, or animal exhibit, much like that in the Queue of Manta.

The square area is actually the Sky Ride loading area, with the former monorail station on the left side of that same building. Sky Ride will remain in operation, however the new coaster will share the same building for loading. I hope we get another Manta-esq queue! I'm interested in seeing what the smaller straight sections are gonna be like around this area and I'm very anxious to see how this is going to change the overall appearance in the plaza. What I like about the outward run towards Rhino Rally and the return run is how the track has several crossovers.....I keep thinking about how Maverick's trains interact with one another....should be interesting.

- Todd