Cheetah Hunt

The coaster officially opens on May 27th, but like rides of the past....a soft opening isn't out of the question. Manta soft opened a full month before its official Memorial Day Weekend opening. With that said, several hard hat tours commenced over the last few days. TPR has the best pictures. Some information that was learned from the tours:

* The cheetah pens are near completion and that there's 7 stalls for 14 cheetahs (12 on property already).

* Theming will be incredible. There will be a section called the "Crossroads" where Morocco, Egypt and Edge of Africa meet. Villagers of the Crossroads celebrate the spirit of the Cheetah. Cheetah Hunt's queue will connect this village to the nature of the actual roller coaster attraction through an integrated back story

* Cheetah figures at the front will resemble driftwood carvings.

* Inside the station, there will be a giant 15 foot high Cheetah Rock that will resemble a cheetah. Villager's celebrate this iconic rock because when found - it resembled the shape of a cheetah. Through chiseling and carving they've managed to carve the head of the cheetah into the top of the rock - the bottom remaining in its natural state.

* Mack Rides is installing their air gate systems on Cheetah Hunt.

* First launch will now be 38 mph instead of 30.

* The Second launch will remain at 60 mph accelerating in under 2 seconds flat.

* Third launch will now be 50 mph instead of 40.

* The Canyon Section will include a run-in with a waterfall. Riders will be skimming above 18 inches of water. The river will be designed to run at a fast current in the opposite direction of travel to further give the illusion of speed.

* The use of trenches in the design of the roller coaster is primarily to inhibit certain aspects of the attraction to pedestrians. Cheetah Hunt was specifically designed to interact with non-riders - and the trenches enable the trains to disappear from sight; thus intensifying the experience for spectators.

* Parabola hill is 60ft. tall.

* Cheetah Hunt will do a pull through with the front car and ride clearances.

* Trains arrive next week.

*Track completion expected by end of next week. 13 pieces remaining to be installed. Installation from this point forward will start on the Windcatcher Tower and finish at the crown of the "skyride hill". The ride will jump OVER the top of the Sky Ride

Sounds like BGT has one heck of an attraction up their sleeves!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one heck of a construction tour, for those who did not click on Delium_Guys link to TPR go back and do so now. WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW !!!

I have said since I joined KIC that I much prefer theme over thrills, not saying I do not enjoy or want thrills but theming is the most important aspect that I look forward to on any attraction. The more immerse a attraction is the better. I feel absolutely in love with Manta and for both a great thrill of a pretzel roll and because of the theme but most impressive was the fact it had both. When I ride Manta I feel miles away from civilization and nothing else matters at the time. I knew Cheetah Hunt was going to have both theme and thrill but I must say with this construction tour and seeing it all come together I cannot remember a time that I have been so excited about riding a new coaster since they built Manta. Busch gardens Tampa is definitely raising the bar on this attraction and I can only hope that others will try to compete. I am so impressed in the way it is turning out. I truly want to make a weekend trip around opening and then back during our annual fall vacation and hopefully a third trip next December. So I guess it is true build it and they will come works for me when it comes to this type of attractions. I hear and see many running to new rides that set a new record for thrills and I do get excited but not always ready to make a special trip to ride. Manta and Cheetah Hunt is what makes me want to let the screaming little fanboy out that I keep hidden inside.

I am very very excited about coming down to ride this one soon.

Jesse, I think you know that I agree with you 100% on that. Busch Gardens has always focused on quality when building new attractions, but I honestly believe it was DarKastle at Williamsburg that really elevated the work that they do now.....that was the single largest investment at either park at the time and it clearly showed. I wasn't working for the company yet, but I know I was blown away by the amount of thought and detail that they put into that attraction, with them being a seasonal park and all. With that sad, the company upped their standards yet again with the introduction of Manta. I think people knew it would be nice, but I don't think anyone really expected what turned out with it. That queue is one of the most beautiful out there, IMHO! Even if Cheetah Hunt turns out to not be the most amazing ride out there, though we'll have to see how it rides in a few months, it is no doubt going to be a great deal of fun because of how it ties into the entire experience and theme.

A few more tidbits that was learned....

Some more information that was learned during the tour.....

* 5 trains carrying 16 passengers each

* 2 trains will load simultaneously like Sheikra

* Train depot can hold up to 6 trains but BGT only ordered 5

* Block brakes are set up to carry a maximum 1400 PPH, but expectations are 1200-1400 PPH.

* Trains will resemble those on Maverick at Cedar Point but will have a zero car themed to a Cheetah and additional theming all down the side

* Cheetah Hunt will use the new soft OTSR's like I305 installed midway through last season.

* The zero car was originally mocked up using styrofoam

* There are 3 control booths for this coaster.

I haven`t experiences the new OTSRs that are on Intimidator at Kings Dominion. I just know that Maverick has not been one of my favorite rides at Cedar Point, mainly do to its restraints. While the ride has improved a little bit for me since I took a front seat ride on it last September, the restraints on it really take away from the ride, in my mind.

I'm glad to hear they finally announced an opening date for this ride, but at the same time am bummed out because I will be down there in April not May. It looks like I may see about going to Universal or Sea World instead of Busch Gardens this year. Whichpark has a better roller coaster count? I know that Universal has the new Harry Potter Castle, is that worth going to over riding the Manta?

It looks like I may see about going to Universal or Sea World instead of Busch Gardens this year. Whichpark has a better roller coaster count? I know that Universal has the new Harry Potter Castle, is that worth going to over riding the Manta?

I've been to both, Universal Studios in 2009 (Before Harry Potter opened) and Sea World in 2010. Both are parks that you don't go to for the coasters like you would KI or CP, they're both immersive experiences that go far beyond the coasters. In my opinion Universal is the better park in both coasters and park overall, but I think you should definitely visit both when you have the opportunity. They're both epic in their own ways.

I haven`t experiences the new OTSRs that are on Intimidator at Kings Dominion. I just know that Maverick has not been one of my favorite rides at Cedar Point, mainly do to its restraints. While the ride has improved a little bit for me since I took a front seat ride on it last September, the restraints on it really take away from the ride, in my mind.

I've been on both I305 (with soft restraints) and Maverick. I've sat towards the back on both. For Maverick, the resulting ride felt painfully close to whiplash. For I305, the resulting ride was by far the most exhilarating experience I've ever had on a steel coaster, period. Mileage may vary depending on your opinion of the rides, but Maverick, for me, would get much closer to being one of my top steel coasters with the soft restraints. (I can't even imagine riding I305 with hard restraints... Talk about pain!)

• 2 weeks later...

Trains are looking really nice!

Roller Coaster Pro also has an update from yesterday with a look all around the construction site.....mostly painting and theming work that is taking place right now. Trench 2 is finally seeing rebar go down and footings show up.....not sure when vertical construction will resume and how they are going to coordinate it with the shortening of the Sky Ride Towers. Either way, the Park still says they are on track for Memorial Day Weekend for opening!

Cheetah Hunt Update 3/8

The final sections of track for Cheetah Hunt were completed this afternoon. Roller Coaster Pro has a large update showcasing the occasion.....they also have updates up for the past few days that show more of the drop off the the figure 8 tower as well as the run through Trench 2. The drop off the tower reminds me very much of the original drop on Ripsaw Falls at IOA.....starts off shallow but then quickly drops off to its steepest point. Just a tad over 2 months until the ride is scheduled to open! I can't wait to see all the pieces tie together and see how the theming and exhibit shape up!

Cheetah Hunt Track Completion

* Cheetah Hunt will use the new soft OTSR's like I305 installed midway through last season.

The pictures I'm seeing look a lot like the Maverick/original I305 restraints. Am I missing something?

No, you aren't. This is what was stated during the media tour, however since then the Park has stated on their Facebook that the restraints on Cheetah Hunt will feature a new version of the Maverick bars in that the OTSR is made of a softer silicone material in an effort to improve rider comfort. Time will tell and we'll find out soon enough when we can ride! From the initial vantage point though, it would seem as though they are exactly the same as Maverick and the old I305 restraints.