Cheetah Hunt

Wow. So in that clip alone, we have a sweeping banked turn, a close encounter with a waterfall (a la Manta), a heartline roll ( :wub: ), "canyon slaloming" (obviously a re-imagining of Maverick's opening moves), and a [second?] launch through a jungly canopy. Now add what was shown in that clip to the other three... This ride's gonna dominate!

Also, it looks to me as if we've seen almost a complete circuit by watching them in this order: 3, 1, 4, 2. All that appears to be missing is the beginning & ending (which may be what video 5 will contain, if not a full POV).

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like this ride could very well be Intamin's finest version to date. I was really excited when Maverick was first announced and I'm beginning to feel even more excited about this effort! It looks as though Intamin learned how to go back to less aggressive transitions into some of their elements on this ride, and I'm really hoping that the animation gives us an accurate representation as to how the trains will traverse the course. I would imagine there will be a few trim brakes that will cut down the speed in places to accomplish this, but with as many launches as we're seeing the train is back up to speed in no time.

My only concern is with the trains. I REALLY hope that Intamin and Busch find a way to keep the unforgiving, hard OTSRs off of this ride. I'm holding out (a very slim) hope that they'll go to a Blue Fire style lap bar like this:

http://www.rcdb.com/4074.htm?p=23202

IF the trains are good and the animation is accurate I'm guessing this will be at the very least a top-5 ride for me (replacing Maverick), especially if the renditions regarding the theming and surroundings come to fruition. This looks absolutely fabulous.

I would imagine there will be a few trim brakes that will cut down the speed in places to accomplish this, but with as many launches as we're seeing the train is back up to speed in no time.

Just like that second launch on Maverick that blasts you to 77 miles per hour, and right into the grasp of a trim brake? :P Hahha.

^ See around :50

The 5th and final clip is available now. Code word is SPEED. The clip is basically the same as Clip 4, however it jumps to an off-ride view showing the trains....which are patterned to resemble a cheetah.

For those who may have missed some of the others, here's a recap

Busch Gardens 2011 Attraction

Clip 1 - CHASE

Clip 2 - RUSH

Clip 3 - GRACE

Clip 4 - POWER

Clip 5 - SPEED

Official announcement will be Wednesday October 13th at 9AM....they will be announcing via Facebook. Discovery Cove will also officially announce all the details on the new reef expansion for 2011.

- Todd

Just a reminder, Busch Gardens will be announcing the attraction at 9AM tomorrow via Facebook, so be sure to "Like" them. Discovery Cove will also be unveiling the details of the new reef expansion that is set to open next summer as well via Facebook.

- Todd, glad he'll be able to talk to guest about the DC expansion tomorrow....been keeping it quiet for a year now!

Cheetah Hunt

Little surprised with the name, certainly not as creative as Cheetaka. In the longer video, we learn that the exhibit will be called Cheetah Run. Trainers will be out daily encouraging sprints. Will also be very Jungala-esq for those who have been through it.....large viewing windows and areas that allow very up close and personal views of the animals.

3 launches. 0-60MPH. Airtime. 110 feet tall with a 130 foot dive into the first trench. Trains have OTSR's that appear to be the same as those on Maverick.....though hoping that maybe they'll be more like I-305's softer straps.

Love the theming around the beginning areas of the ride. Overall, what a wonderful addition to the Park this is going to make.

- Todd

This is going to be a fantastic ride! But with the name... Really...? One of the things I love is just to list off the Busch Gardens Tampa's major coasters, because their names are all so exotic and clever. So now, that list will be:

Gwazi, ShieKra, Montu, Kumba, and... Cheetah Hunt?

Cheetaka would have been a perfect name, too... But now the park has Cheetah Chase and Cheetah Hunt roller coasters? So for me, that's sort of a little bit of a let-down, as lame as that sounds. But it still looks like an incredible ride. What's in a name, I suppose. But still...

*Walks away mumbling "Cheetah Hunt" in disbelief.*

Looks like an amazing ride. I have to agree with the name though. Even Cedar Fair has more interesting names.

The Kings Dominion people have been rallying for the beginning for their Backlot Stunt Coaster to get a "safari" makeover since their ride is in the Congo area (which it really isn't, but that's a debate for later, as is why they think that Cedar Fair cares what part of the park it's located in, much less how they could re-theme it to a safari). I imagine that, if it did did a re-theme, it might be called "Cheetah Hunt" or "Safari Blast Coaster." Both are pretty much equally generic. As I said, I simply expected more from Busch Gardens; that at least that the ride's name would be in line with the rest of the park's rides.

And it's not even as if people were clueless about what it should be called, and everyone was just so lost about what a proper name for it might be... The name "Cheetaka" was all but confirmed in the enthusiast community. One would think that even if that weren't the name that the park had originally conceived, they would have picked up on the great idea of the fan community and run with it. No matter how it was conceived, it would've been the perfect name to add to the collection.

Kumba. Gwazi. SheiKra. Montu. Cheetaka. Cheetah Hunt.

It would've been an epic lineup of names! And you think people confuse Son of Beast & The Beast, or Millennium and Magnum? Wait for Cheetah Hunt and Cheetah Chase to be in the same park... Let's hope the directional signs in the takes-forever-to-navigate-if-you-end-up-at-the-wrong-ride park are very, very clear as to which is which.

As to the ride itself - Incredible. Absolutely fantastic looking. Knowing how much I loved Maverick ( :wub: :wub: ) This looks nothing like a tamed-down version at all, like I previously said. I stand happily corrected, it looks like a spectacular improvement! I can't wait to ride this next year!

As to the theming and other additions around the ride - Wonderful. I love how, at places like SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, the roller coaster is only half of it. The idea of being able to see a cheetah up close is thrilling in and of itself. And with all of the new interactive exhibits? Can't wait to check it out!

As to the name - ......What? Cheetaka was certain, all but confirmed. It rolls off the tongue, it fits so well with the park. And then they pulled a Cheetah Chase? How did they manage to Cedar Fair that? <_<

On the whole though, looks like an absolutely fantastic ride. I can't wait to ride it next summer! :)

Looks like an amazing ride. I have to agree with the name though. Even Cedar Fair has more interesting names.

The Kings Dominion people have been rallying for the beginning for their Backlot Stunt Coaster to get a "safari" makeover since their ride is in the Congo area (which it really isn't, but that's a debate for later, as is why they think that Cedar Fair cares what part of the park it's located in, much less how they could re-theme it to a safari). I imagine that, if it did did a re-theme, it might be called "Cheetah Hunt" or "Safari Blast Coaster." Both are pretty much equally generic. As I said, I simply expected more from Busch Gardens; that at least that the ride's name would be in line with the rest of the park's rides.

And it's not even as if people were clueless about what it should be called, and everyone was just so lost about what a proper name for it might be... The name "Cheetaka" was all but confirmed in the enthusiast community. One would think that even if that weren't the name that the park had originally conceived, they would have picked up on the great idea of the fan community and run with it. No matter how it was conceived, it would've been the perfect name to add to the collection.

Kumba. Gwazi. SheiKra. Montu. Cheetaka. Cheetah Hunt.

It would've been an epic lineup of names! And you think people confuse Son of Beast & The Beast, or Millennium and Magnum? Wait for Cheetah Hunt and Cheetah Chase to be in the same park... Let's hope the directional signs in the takes-forever-to-navigate-if-you-end-up-at-the-wrong-ride park are very, very clear as to which is which.

You talk about the debate there, at KI managers trained us saying that Rivertown went from Snoopy to the 3 point game and down to the garden clock. So in Rivertown you had BLSC, Beast, and DB

As to the name - ......What? Cheetaka was certain, all but confirmed. It rolls off the tongue, it fits so well with the park. And then they pulled a Cheetah Chase? How did they manage to Cedar Fair that? <_<

Ah, and so the confusion begins already.

busch-gardens-cheetah-chase-b.jpg

For the persistant among us, there is a petition that was started just a few hours ago (naturally) to have the name changed.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/cheetaka

99.99%, these things are useless. If anyone might listen to the public and re-name a ride for the guests, it would be SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, though... Concept art was "leaked" with the Cheetaka name, so it wouldn't be too much work to transition back and market it as the first time (eh hem) that guests have chosen a ride's name. After all, www.cheetahhunt.com was literally registered three days ago on October 11th (while www.cheetaka.com was registered in April), and no logo for Cheetah Hunt has been seen (while a logo for Cheetaka was "leaked" a month or so ago).

All in all, it appears to be a very, very last minute choice. Perhaps legal boundaries? But really, even given a week, I could think of something better than "Cheetah Hunt" that maintains the exotic, tribal sound of the rest of the park's ride names.

You talk about the debate there, at KI managers trained us saying that Rivertown went from Snoopy to the 3 point game and down to the garden clock. So in Rivertown you had BLSC, Beast, and DB

I don't think the "areas" that we use are the true areas of the park. If they were, Festhaus and Rivertown Pizza would both be in Coney.

The ride looks awesome. Not impressed with the way it was presented though. Maybe I'm just used to Cedar Fair, but no stat sheets, no separate off-ride videos, nothing. It took me forever to find the video that was on youtube that gave me a few stats. With all the sweet hint videos and great hype around the ride, I thought it would be better presented. Oh well.

Overall, I'm going to love this coaster. We all know how great Busch themes their rides, and this seems to just be even better. I'm not sure how I will like the elevated figure eight. It will be different, thats for sure.

Thumbs up to Busch.:D

^Really? I think they did a fantastic job with this. All the anticipation leading up to this, including teaser videos, has been excellent. I've been waiting for this announcement for a while now. And I literally clicked the first link in this article, and it had a pov video as well as ride stats right next to it.

Also, I really think the track layout is fantastic. The "treetop" section is very cool, as is the zig-zagging trick track. It seems to really mimic a cheetah if you ask me. There are so, so many reasons now for me to get to Florida in the next few years, and this is just adding onto it.

Busch Gardens confirmed on their facebook page:

"For all you Fans who are asking about Cheetah Hunt's restraint system, the new ride will incorporate over-the-shoulder restraints similar to those found on many other IntaRide coasters such as Maverick and Kingda Ka. Thanks for asking!"

Also this will be BGT's longest roller coaster.

4400+ft

0-60

130ft drop from 110ft into the second trench

http://behindthethrills.com/2010/10/new-rollercoaster-cheetah-hunt-coming-to-bgt-in-spring-2011/

The name choice was a total surprise, it is certainly not what one would expect from Busch.....but with that said its just a name. The ride experience is what matters to me and this seems as though it won't disappoint. Personally, I love the trains and the lead car......they are gonna look slick on that green track. I can't wait to see how much transformation takes place in that area of the park! That's possibly the weakest area in there in terms of holding any type of theme. Other than the Clydesdale Hamlet and Sky Ride station, that's been a fairly quiet section that seems out of place while walking to Edge of Africa or Egypt. I have high hopes for the final product after seeing how great Manta turned out. I'm actually pretty stoked about the exhibit in general after hearing the details and seeing some of the concept art for it, I think the cheetah sprints are going to be an awesome sight to take in.

- Todd

Busch Gardens confirmed on their facebook page:

"For all you Fans who are asking about Cheetah Hunt's restraint system, the new ride will incorporate over-the-shoulder restraints similar to those found on many other IntaRide coasters such as Maverick and Kingda Ka. Thanks for asking!"

Also this will be BGT's longest roller coaster.

4400+ft

0-60

130ft drop from 110ft into the second trench

http://behindthethrills.com/2010/10/new-rollercoaster-cheetah-hunt-coming-to-bgt-in-spring-2011/

One word: Ouch!