Timberliners Delayed

If this were any other park, with any other ride, I'd be mad beyond belief. But this is Holiday World, Voyage is still open, and it's a prototype train, so I'll let it go. I don't care if it takes untill 2011, I'm perfectly content with the ride and the park now. :)

Jackson, I couldnt agree more. Admittedly, I count out the people in front of me so I can always be on the blue Voyage train, but I will ride it faithfully every time Im there! As far as the "if it works ten times, why wont it work another thousand" statement..... every state in the nation has requirements on how many times a ride must run before it can be certified by the state for public use. In the state of Indiana, that requirement is 1,000 cycles of a train, as well as other inspection requirements. There can be a myriad of issues that may need to be adjusted, slightly re-engineered, or otherwise addressed that very few if any people within this Forum can reliably speak of that have caused the delays thus far.

If this were any other park, with any other ride, I'd be mad beyond belief. But this is Holiday World, Voyage is still open, and it's a prototype train, so I'll let it go. I don't care if it takes untill 2011, I'm perfectly content with the ride and the park now. :)

See also Knoebel's Amusement Resort and Flying Turns.

Unusual new efforts often take longer than expected...

Sparky - you hit the nail on the head there. I'd also point to the level of information shared about the situation as a factor also - HW hasn't hidden behind a wall of silence; they've been out front with what feels to be honest communication (even though they haven't shared any real data) the whole time.

Compare this with a couple of Kings Island examples:

• The classic - SoB being down for maintenance the second half of 2009
  • The recent - at Boomerang Bay yesterday, we were next in line for Snowy River Rampage when the boat lift shut down. The lifeguard/ride ops tried several times to restart, called for support (I'd guess maintenance), kept trying to restart things - before finally informing those of us waiting that the ride was down for a "safety break". About 10 minutes later, another ride op shows up on the platform - pulls the boat that was on the conveyor blocking a limit switch out the way and everything restarts automatically.

Note that I have no problem with what happened (things like this are going to happen on a ride). I just don't understand why the ride ops didn't say "we've got a minor technical issue and have called for help" - I'm betting that they have been trained differently for some reason.

Picture from July 4 at the park on the fan photos on Holiday World's Facebook. Anybody noticed this if they went? Looks like they're getting a head start with all the Timberliner stuff.

130737029-1f54d5ea34de3bcb39ee5b55d99b3d77.4c409010-scaled.jpg

I believe that has been there all year. It was there for Holiwood Nights.

• 1 month later...

And I'm sure that GG is working very hard to resolve any issues and get the trains licensed - as I believe they are using them on some of their new coasters for 2011. Always nice to have the kinks worked out on serial no 1 first.

And GG had all summer to work out any kinks that may have been causing the delay and get it installed for this weeks testing. Hopefully we will be ridding those in the next few weekends.

• 5 years later...

An important thread for many.

And the Timberliners never operated at Holiday World with public aboard.

Future of Voyage under this management? How will the legend be affected? Why were Timberliners being considered to start with?

Things to ponder.

Especially now. . .

2016 a pivotal year? A midcourse correction coming? What do you maintain?

• Like 4

Consider also that Screamscape is reporting a "rumor" that Holiday World will get another coaster next year, and he "speculates" that there's a chance that either Raven or Voyage will be modified somehow into a new ride.

For the record, I'm dubious of any rumor coming out of Screamscape concerning Holiday World. The "rumors" posted there seem like they're being fed to him via the park. A "reader" noticed an incredibly subtle clearing in the trees from the nearby road, and that clearing turned into Thunderbird. Another "reader" happened to be told that Legend, when it closed early last year, would "return better than ever next year." With one exception, I can't think of one rumor about the place that didn't come true--the exception being that Voyage would get RMC track, and even then it was supposedly something they had considered and decided against.

Given the reduced maintenance costs improvements done to Legend this year, I think we know what to expect for 2017.

• Like 7

This thread actually make me remember when I was at Holiday World, rode Voyage, got thrashed and was thinking "Oh boy...if the Timberliners don't work, I don't know how much longer that ride will last in its current form. It will be the next Texas Giant (a once beloved ride that deteriorated and became super rough and thus needed its RMC makeover)."

That was in 2011. 5 years ago. Since then, the park has has a major ownership dispute, the Timberliner plan was scrapped, Pilgrims Plunge was removed and Holiday World proved they could build massive expensive rides with Thunderbird, their first B&M roller coaster.

And I would say The Voyage remains a huge deal to Holiday World- it is currently still heavily used in their advertising for the park, and most do still enjoy the ride a lot even though it doesn't top favorite wood coaster lists as often as it did even a few years ago anymore. Thus simply demolishing it is probably out of the question for now. I don't know if it can be kept a wooden coaster either- even GCI may not be able to fix the ride's issues with the ride's massive heights and high speeds. Trim Brakes also would not fix any issues long-term and would make the ride worse in the eyes of the coaster community. So while it might be ultra expensive, and they may have ruled it out in the past, I would not be shocked if Holiday World looks to RMC again to try and save at least something from this ride. So far, Voyage seems to be proving as so many other rides did that classic wooden coasters have limits, and if you break them, it might work at first but long-term you are probably gonna have issues.

The story of Voyage is gonna be an interesting one when all is said and done at last, I think. And at least I'll be able to tell others (possibly future kids/grandkids/etc.) what this giant wooden coaster was like before the big changes came.

• Like 3

If they Iron Horse track the Voyage I don't know if I could ever go back. I think GCI and Millennium Flyers may be able to help turn it around. I just don't know if GCI would or could touch it. One not small issue I wonder about is the steel support structure. What effect is it having? Is it making the track take more or the wear and tear?

• Like 2

If GCI does make major changes to Voyage (if they can or will), it'll probably be some pretty drastic stuff. I don't see them simply slapping Millennium Flyer trains on it and calling it a day- that didn't help the much smaller Gwazi, a ride GCI had even built themselves, so it would probably have little effect on Voyage.

The steel structure might also be the cause of some of the issues, but nearly every other non-prefab/RMC "woodie" that has been on the 150'+ scale have also had some sort of issues with roughness and needing replacement track often regardless of the structure type, which likely makes figuring out if it is the structure's fault or not difficult.

That comparison with the Tarver's coasters does sound quite a bit like Voyage's current situation. Like the old Tarver rides, it is large, fast, intense, beats you up, and tears itself up quickly. It could be looked back upon in the coming decades as a modern Crystal Beach Cyclone...with less broken ribs and a much larger scale.

If Holiday World does have to demolish Voyage in the next few years because they simply cannot afford to keep it, it will be a huge blow for the park, as it is still seen by many as one of its main attractions. Enthusiasts would be outraged. Kings Island and, if they are still around, Kentucky Kingdom would probably be sure to take advantage of one of their main competitors losing a signature attraction, potentially adding huge new headliner attractions of their own to try and get some of Holiday World's guests. Holiday World would need to get ANOTHER Thunderbird-level ride, and fast, and would possibly need another $20 million to do so.

Though Holiday World probably knows this, and will probably fight to keep Voyage running if at all possible. I see them making more modifications or adding trim brakes first- they kind of already have by actually using the MCBR- to cut the costs of upkeep as much as possible. Heck, Legend's modifications may simply be not because that ride was super hard to upkeep (though it is a CCI so it probably had at least some difficulty there) but so they could save money on Legend's upkeep to spend on Voyage's. If that's the case, something might also be in store for Raven in the future as well, even if it might not need it. And if that fails, would Holiday World possibly even remove one of the CCI's in an attempt to fit Voyage's upkeep in their budget? (Though if it got that bad, they should really start to consider RMC IMO...at least that would have the chance of saving the smaller woodies, and keep the Voyage as something)

Just some more thoughts I had on the topic. Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering, I have ridden Voyage and am among those who do like the coaster, though the quality of my rides has varied on it more than any other coaster I have ever ridden (Ranging from "OMG THAT WAS AMAZING" in 2010, to "OMG THAT HURT!!!" in 2011, and "OMG THAT WAS AMAZING FIRST HALF AND HURT 2ND HALF!!!" in 2013). I also adore Raven & especially Legend (hoping the changes don't hurt the ride quality too much) so I don't want any of them to go...but, from the looks of things, something might have to change.

• Like 1

I can relate there except I love the ride. Roughness (in select years) keeps you from liking the ride, I dont understand, because the elements in the coaster are still great and we know how the ride has been and how it returned to.

2008, wow.. incredible!

2012, what in the world happened to this thing? I think that was when Timberliners were supposed to debut.

2014, finally back to 08's ride :)

2015, ditto.

But.. with the MCBR and Legend's happenings.. I think SOMETHING will be done.. I think it would be a terrible mistake to tear the ride down or to try to replace it. The only path I see that'd make people happy is to have it RMCd... or to continually have it worked on extensively in the off season.. one will probably be much much cheaper in the long run

• Like 7