Where everybody knows your name

Hello old and new friends alike I am taking the time to write to you today to say hello after another long winter and to share my thoughts on opening day 2010 at Kings Island amusement park. It always feels good to get up and out to shake the winter blues away while getting back to some favorite familiar summer past times. My recent trip to Kings Island on Saturday April 17, 2010 has inspired me to rid myself of my writers block, as visiting Kings Island is like visiting a lifelong friend while at the same time making many new friends along the way. Let me explain...

I have attended many of Kings Island opening days and other various special events since I was eight years old stretching all the way back to 1972. Throughout the years Kings Island has evolved in trendy social and economical trends as my life evolved as well. Back when I was 8 years old I went to the park with my parents and brothers as I got older it was with school/work friends and sweet hearts, now later in my life I attend with my wife and daughter. Along the way I found myself looking to Kings Island as a fun place to go while making my way in the world today that takes everything I've got and

taking a break from all my worries sure does help a lot.

So I joined KICentral and chatted with many fellow members for years that also enjoy summer visits to Kings Island as many of them have become great friends now. Kings Island in their always friendly and outreaching ways recognized our community and has invited us to special events but also as place where we can all gather because sometimes we want to go and we wanna be where we can see,

our troubles are all the same.

So this brings us to Kings Island opening day 2010. Kings Island like it always has in the past has a new season ahead of itself and to keep things fresh and exciting they made some improvements as well as some changes to the park. I say improvements because as I toured the park with my friends and everyone enjoyed the look and feel of the retheme of the kid's area called Planet Snoopy. Many of us old park goers get nervous with changes as we tend to want to hold onto our memories as kids and fear that our children may not get the same enjoyment of memories if too much is changed. I think Kings Island retheme of Planet Snoopy will be enjoyed by children and parents for years to come with even more opportunities for building of family memories. My KICentral friends and I decided to have lunch in Festhaus and to take in the new live show "Way To Much TV". We had some great conversations and discussed Kings Island and the new additions this year, it is always fun to take note on how the park runs early in the season and to compare that to later in the year as the team work shows in a variety of ways. The new show obviously has young very talented singers sing some of TV's favorite sitcom TV series through the years which many where long gone before the young talent where ever born. Way To Much TV live show starts off with a number that many will recognize oh matter what age they are now. It is called "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" used for the opening of the TV sitcom called "Cheers". As I sat amongst my friends listing to the words I realized this was very fitting to be the opening song as it fits very nicely with me as well as many others who claim Kings Island to be their home park. You see over my life as I grew up Kings Island has always offered me just what I needed at that particular time of my life, It's like they know my name. For me that is particularly true as Kings Island management and employees do greet me by my name as they do with many of my KICentral friends. They always when available extend a warm hand with a smile. In many cases during times like opening day take a moment to come over (when appropriate) to greet us and to catch up after a long winter absence. You cannot fake genuine hospitality and after every visit to Kings Island I always feel like they are glad I came.

I put together this short video of the song "where everybody knows your name" with some pictures I taken and hope you enjoy it.

<object width='640' height='360'>

<param name='movie' value='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' />

<param name='flashvars' value='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=ced66992aef17ba32c752186245ad3dd%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=97773167%26w=640%26h=360' />

<param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' />

<param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' />

<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='640' height='360' allowfullscreen='true' bgcolor='#000000' src='http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=player&.swf' flashvars='config=http://albums.phanfare.com/video_config.ashx?m=conf%26hs=ced66992aef17ba32c752186245ad3dd%26u=1009485%26a=4541458%26i=97773167%26w=640%26h=360'></embed>

</object>

I wished the song included one more line of lyrics at the end of song which would read like this.

"I am always glad I came"

As usual, a good read - where I find myself agreeing several times through your post. Sorry I didn't catch up with you yesterday but am sure I'll see you somewhere this season.

On the employee/management topic, a couple of thoughts:

- It is great to see how friendly all the employees were yesterday. Kudos to all

- Saw some of the park management team several times during the day. Great to see them out and about and meeting/greeting guests

- Funny story on Diamondback. Toward the end of ERT a returning ride op was separating with an obviously new guy helping - new ride op says something to the effect of "wow, I've seen some of these people 3 or 4 times already"

Great trip report Jesse. Its always fun spending the day with you. I had a great time on Saturday with you, Brad and Sean. Hopefully, we can do it again sometime soon!

I always enjoy your company, I always learn something new about the park or the industry from you. Hanging with the KICers is always fun!

Maybe I can join in on that Holiday World trip now that the unexpected delay with the Timberliner trains has been unleashed! It`s been many years since I`ve been to Holiday World (the year the Voyage was new).

I guess we need to get that thread moving on what people are doing, but I think I am going to go on the 15th. The trains are the reason I am going.

Yes we do. If I remember to post about it tomorrow after work, I will do that. I would do it tonight, but I think I`m heading off to bed already.

It will be nice to experience those new trains, and to try out Pilgrim`s Plunge.

Robbie I'm with you 100% I am sore and worn out hopfully I can get a good night sleep tonight. It was Great Seeing every one at the park had a great time Meeting and hanging with new and old Friends.

Brad and Robbie thanks for the comments and I think it is best to hold off on the HW trip until the new Gravity Group trains are ready. Robbie I hope you do join us on that trip. I enjoyed spending the day with you but deeply regret not following you out to your car to see your new ride. So if you do come to HW have the car ready to show off.

Keith Thanks for the comments on this report, It was a bit of a challenge to work the words of the song into my report at some places and worried many will not catch on to what I was doing. The thing is when I heard it spoke volumes on one of the things I love most about Kings Island and that is all the wonderful friendships I have gained such as yours. It is very heart warming to be a amusement park enthusiast and to have so many friends on a first name basis to share the greatness of Kings Island.

I guess that's where we differ, Jesse. I think the fact that everybody knows my name at Kings Island is creepy.

Just kidding. Wonderful trip report as usual!

I think I have you Beat on that Ryan lol. Every one was calling my Name yesderday from Kicers to park staff. Seemd like every one had a great day.

As always I was honored to be part of such a great group last weekend. Even though I was the butt of a pretzel heist :) . It was fun seeing everyone from KIC. Looking forward to seeing everyone here again soon. The reason I was sooo tired is I had called in sick (food poisoning) Wen. and Thurs. And probably should have stayed home and rested. Would I do it all over again? 100%. Thanks again you guys (you all know who you are!) for such a great day.

CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0014.jpg

All done via Palm Prē (Yeah it can do that :) )