Is the crypt any better that it was last year?

cfreak93

• 3 weeks later...

ON TOPIC- I rode the Crypt yesterday and It was a little bit better than the last time I rode it.(which was last year) There was some red flashing lights so you could the carving on the wall. I was quite satisfied. The theming still has a lot more room to improve. Maybe next year CF will get the memo and add some special effects,(spraying water, more lights, music, animatronic objects etc.)

I hope...

rolleyes.gif

Just imagine doing that on a GIANT top spin, I bet those flips would feel massive.

imagining is about all you could do, i don't think there is anyway a giant topspin could do that, unless huss has completely redesigned them.

Exactly. The fact that they said that the normal TR:TR cycle practically ripped the ride apart, who knows what would happen if it tries to do something to THAT extreme of the top spin doing 109 flips. I for one will not take that chance on the ride in its current state. They would have to put in a whole entire new top spin, or even a suspended top spin would be nice. Going back on what some others have said, even if they just use the lava pit, and added about 2 more flips, the ride would be more thrilling.

Exactly. The fact that they said that the normal TR:TR cycle practically ripped the ride apart, who knows what would happen if it tries to do something to THAT extreme of the top spin doing 109 flips. I for one will not take that chance on the ride in its current state. They would have to put in a whole entire new top spin, or even a suspended top spin would be nice. Going back on what some others have said, even if they just use the lava pit, and added about 2 more flips, the ride would be more thrilling.

(This is all information as I've come to understand it based on others here, and I don't claim any of it as fact)

I believe you're mistaken - the ride was closed a lot as Tomb Raider: The Ride, yes. But that's more of a "it's a Giant Top Spin" thing than brought on by the cycle. I believe (I may be mistaken) it was (and is still) mostly an issue with the ride's braking and sensory systems. The brakes are not the type that HUSS recommended, but the cheaper kind that Paramount insisted on. Top Spins by their very nature are nothing more than multiple sets of locking and holding brakes all working in synchronization to create flips and hold the gondola in specific positions. As such, the ride's tracking system is incredibly sensitive - the ride, as Tomb Raider, had a hard time with the hang-time sequence over the lava. Flying around the room, locking in place very specifically, and then holding it there, upside down, for fifteen seconds while motors move the arms around slowly. If the computer senses that, for even a second, the gondola is even an inch off of its planned path, the ride emergency stops. That, of course, means that it must be cleared out and manually restarted. That's where the breakdowns come from.

Fast-forward to The Crypt 2008, where an entire row of the ride was removed (doubtlessly overseen by HUSS, but still altering the ride's weight, center of gravity, and capacity) and the already over-sensitive system is changed again - this time, our Giant Top Spin (nearly twice as tall, much heavier, with different energy requirements, and a much larger width than any other) is simply programmed with a ride cycle meant for smaller, more acrobatic, less-strained suspended top spins that have a completely different weight, height, footprint, and capacity. It was that 9-flip cycle paired with an already-beaten up ride that really did a number on our Top Spin.

It's the opinion of many people here that our Giant Top Spin was not built to operate with any sort of moisture around it at all, and that it will be a cold day in hell before water effects are re-introduced to our ride. The only successful, marketable solution truly does seem to be replacing our physical ride with a suspended top spin. Then and only then could effects theoretically be re-introduced, we could recieve Kings Dominion's Crypt's nine-flip cycle (and synchronized musical score), and more. But, that requires a lot of money - not even for the top spin (which is relatively cheap) but to crack open the foundation, remove the Giant Top Spin, alter the boarding system, and alter the warehouse as needed. Perhaps if Great America is closed, we can hope to receive their Top Spin? Or Valleyfair's suspended one? That would make the project do-able financially.

I personally think it'd be worth it to have Kings Dominion's flames and music and water and torches all mixed with our darkness and Durga statue and theatrical lighting, but what do I know?

• 1 month later...

I though I heard somewhere that they are supposed to be adding some kind of new theme to The Crypt this year. I have been on The Crypt 5 times this year and haven't seen one change yet. Still same old Crypt flipping you upside town twice around a big garage with a few objects of Tomb Raider still in there (Statue, Vines, Rocks). I really miss Tomb Raider but The Crypt is ok I guess. Kind of refreshing being indoors flipping upside down feeling the nice breeze. Really hope that rumor about adding a theme comes true. Probably won't though.