"Guests of Exceptional Size" - an idea!

RD Reynolds

Lots of discussion on the Diamondback Restraints thread got me to thinking...none of us want to do the "Walk of Shame". I emailed KI and asked if they had a listing of the dimensions on the seats of the thrill rides, and a very nice woman called me back and left a message on my cell that they didn't have that. She did note, however, that you could go up the exit (on rides that don't have a test seat outside the ride) and ask to see if you could fit. I didn't know that, but it's very good to know.

One idea I had was this: if KI can't give us seat dimensions, what if we, as a group, simply got the measurements ourselves? Obviously, the seat dimensions wouldn't answer ALL the questions, but it would answer a LOT of the questions. Most people have an issue with fitting in the seats, so if we knew, for instance, that The Vortex had a 40" seat, you could easily measure at home to see if you'd fit. We'd just need a few folks (maybe people that work at the park?) to do a couple quick measurements, and the dreaded "Walk of Shame" would largely be gone. I'll take my tape measure next time, but it would be way cool if others would join in.

Thoughts?

RD

sounds like a great idea, but good luck getting that tape measure through security, well unless the metal detectors are running the same way as they were at the end of last season. ;)

Just take a cloth one, like a seamstress would use.

Not to mention... the seats aren't exactly a perfect square, or anything remotely close to it in fact. The overall shape of the seat varies as you move along the contour, so it's pretty difficult to "measure" it. The best solution is to just sit in the test seat and see if it works.

Yeah the seat dimensions wouldn't do a lot unless you were well above the size. Most of the time a large person can fit in the seat but the restraint wont engage enough. When I got on Firehawk, the seat was fine but the lap bar only clicked once. I said "oh well just let me off" but the ride ops seemed determined to make it work so I got stapled in. But I got to ride it so all's well I guess.

Flight of Fear and Drop Zone seem to be the most restrictive rides to guests of exceptional size. One reason I liked Son of Beast was that the seats were quite comfortable to me, where as smaller people often complained about getting rattled around. But it doesn't look like that one will be re opening any time soon.

The bad thing about walking up the exit to test a seat is that if you don't fit you end up taking the walk of shame anyway. You just save time from waiting in line.

What it comes down to is if you want to be able to ride anything, the best way is to lose weight. It's doable - I know from experience. If your problem is that you're too tall I guess there isn't a lot you can do about it. Some of the rides have a maximum height limit. The ones that don't you can usually get wedged into - it just isn't that comfortable.

• 1 month later...

As my first post, I will be making my first trip ever to King's Island on June 24, and I am a "larger" guest. Right now I am 6'1" 265 lbs and 40" waist. I am on a diet so that I can fit on Millennium and Dragster again.

From my opening day experience at Cedar Point (6-8 Lbs ago) I fit in the woodies, but had a "fun time getting the seat buckle between my thigh and the side of the car, Magnum fine, Raptor tight fit with the belt, and Dragster I needed about 2 inches on the test seat.

My main concern is being able to ride The Beast, Dimondback, and Firehawk. Thanks

As my first post, I will be making my first trip ever to King's Island on June 24, and I am a "larger" guest. Right now I am 6'1" 265 lbs and 40" waist. I am on a diet so that I can fit on Millennium and Dragster again.

From my opening day experience at Cedar Point (6-8 Lbs ago) I fit in the woodies, but had a "fun time getting the seat buckle between my thigh and the side of the car, Magnum fine, Raptor tight fit with the belt, and Dragster I needed about 2 inches on the test seat.

My main concern is being able to ride The Beast, Dimondback, and Firehawk. Thanks

Phantom, I was a similar size 6'4" 270 waist size 42. I fit on MF but not on dragster. Dragster had nothing to do with my waist line but, my hips.

I have never had a problem with KI---Beast just a tight fit, Firehawk no problems or with Vortex. Flight of Fear was my only problem but, I think it had to do more with my height and weight combined. Anyone with a weight problem I can give some advice if you like(message me) I have lost a total of 60lbs. I started at 290 and I am 230lbs as of today. Not only does one need to diet but exersize is required. It can be done, I am 42 years old and am still working towards my goals.(you also have to reprogram your brain for dieting) GOOD LUCK GUYS, IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT. Btw I can't wait to see how I now fit in my favorite coasters this year!!!!!!!!!!

Seat sizes can very on the same ride. Some times I feel snug in a seat and later ride the same ride and feel not as restricted in another seat of the train?

This just happened to me yesterday. I rode FoF with no problem in the 2nd to last seat. Got off, went right in line again to the same seat. The ride op tried to push the restraint down, couldn't get it (on what had to be a different train). I ended up switching to the last seat of the train, and with two ride ops doing everything they could to get the restraint down, and me sucking it in, it just wasn't working. One of the ride ops had checked me the time before and even commented on the fact that I had just ridden. I finally gave up, and said "Forget it" and did a walk of shame. I've NEVER done a walk of shame on FoF... I've even ridden it four times so far this year!

It's ridiculous that there isn't consistency on the rides. There's no excuse for there not to be. The belts should be the same length in each seat. Or, if there's a reason that there has to be different length belts (which I can't think of any, but I'm sure someone can enlighten me if there is a reason), then the same seat should have the same length belt on each train.

I've been on rides where I've had to ride a specific seat that is able to accomodate larger people better... Great Bear at Hersheypark, Chaos at CP and Mystery Mine at Dollywood... and I'm fine with that. At least I'm able to ride. But to fit on one time, and then go back to the same seat and not fit? No excuse! mad.gif

I will say this though to end on a positive. The ride ops were extremely helpful in trying to get the restraint down enough to get the belt latched. It was just getting too uncomfortable and I'm the one that put an end to their efforts.